What else can I do to find a Mass on Christmas Day?

I appreciate that this isn't really a 'family life' issue, but it was the closest forum I could think of, so apologies...

We are going to be spending Christmas Day with my husband's aunt and uncle. DD and I are the only Catholics in the family. We are travelling down on Christmas Eve night (we like to travel at night so as not to interrupt DD's sleeping pattern too much, she's a poor sleeper at the best of times) and leaving on Christmas night for my parents' place (so I'm sorted for Sunday).The thread title says what's going on, really, I'm looking for any practical help you can offer in terms of how to find a Mass.

So far:
1) I've managed to use the net to find the nearest Catholic Church to their house. It is the only one within reasonable travelling distance - it's 20 miles away across country roads which are currently borderline impassable through snow.
2)It doesn't have a website and no one has answered the phone when I've tried ringing a few times.
3)The diocesan website doesn't work.
4)DH's family have been asked to help, and perplexedly pointed out that there was a church in their village, cue a long conversation (thankfully with DH backing me up) about why I needed a Catholic church; this got us nowhere and DH's parents & aunt are still insisting that if I need to go to church at all, there's a pefectly good (Church of Wales) one within walking distance.

The only thing I can currently think of is just to get DD dressed and ready and get to the church for about 9.30, on the assumption that their main morning Mass will surely start between about 9.30 and 11. This is risky since I don't even know if they have a resident priest and so it's possible they won't have a Mass on Christmas Day at all (it would surprise me, but you never know).

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can get to Mass on Christmas, please? Quite apart from the obligation, I really want to go for DD's first Christmas but I'm at a bit of a dead end. :shrug:

[quote="Batfink, post:1, topic:223308"]
I appreciate that this isn't really a 'family life' issue, but it was the closest forum I could think of, so apologies...

We are going to be spending Christmas Day with my husband's aunt and uncle. DD and I are the only Catholics in the family. We are travelling down on Christmas Eve night (we like to travel at night so as not to interrupt DD's sleeping pattern too much, she's a poor sleeper at the best of times) and leaving on Christmas night for my parents' place (so I'm sorted for Sunday).The thread title says what's going on, really, I'm looking for any practical help you can offer in terms of how to find a Mass.

So far:
1) I've managed to use the net to find the nearest Catholic Church to their house. It is the only one within reasonable travelling distance - it's 20 miles away across country roads which are currently borderline impassable through snow.
2)It doesn't have a website and no one has answered the phone when I've tried ringing a few times.
3)The diocesan website doesn't work.
4)DH's family have been asked to help, and perplexedly pointed out that there was a church in their village, cue a long conversation (thankfully with DH backing me up) about why I needed a Catholic church; this got us nowhere and DH's parents & aunt are still insisting that if I need to go to church at all, there's a pefectly good (Church of Wales) one within walking distance.

The only thing I can currently think of is just to get DD dressed and ready and get to the church for about 9.30, on the assumption that their main morning Mass will surely start between about 9.30 and 11. This is risky since I don't even know if they have a resident priest and so it's possible they won't have a Mass on Christmas Day at all (it would surprise me, but you never know).

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I can get to Mass on Christmas, please? Quite apart from the obligation, I really want to go for DD's first Christmas but I'm at a bit of a dead end. :shrug:

[/quote]

If it turns out to be physically impossible to get to Mass, the obligation no longer exists.

Do you have the option of a 7:00 pm Mass on Christmas Eve in your city, just before heading out of town for the night? (you could pack the car go to Mass, use the washroom at the Church, then head out of town straight from the Church.)

Keep trying the Church office at the one you're thinking of going to, as well - it may be that they keep short office hours - mornings from Tuesday to Thursday is typical of small towns, so I'd try at those times. It's odd that they don't have their Mass times listed on the answering machine, though. :shrug:

Did you try www.masstimes.org? Just keep calling the only number that you have, and ask your pastor for a dispensation if you are not able to find any reasonable solution.

masstimes.org/

Does this have an answer for that particular church?

HTH!

I may have missed it somewhere else but you don't tell us what the Diocese is or the city(ies) you are needing Mass info for/ we could also check out their locations. You can always call 211 wherever you are -- typically it is United Way -- they will be able to help. otherwise try: %between%

[quote="Batfink, post:1, topic:223308"]

[/quote]

I already tried MassTimes, they have no churches in Wales listed!

We'll be leaving from DH's parents' house, not directly from ours, but I'll look into whether there's a Christmas Eve Mass early enough once we arrive there, thanks for that suggestion.

I'll keep trying to phone too, thanks for the support! :thumbsup:

You could try calling the diocese. Even if their web site is down, they are usually aware of the Mass schedules. If not, they may be able to give you an alternate way to get in touch with the parish.

As it sounds like you are travelling to Wales (assuming the weather will let you all get there) I wonder if this may be if use to you

The Diocese of Menevia . . .

is part of the Province of Wales, has its Curial Offices in Swansea and includes the Deaneries of Aberystwyth, Carmarthen, Llandrindod Wells, Haverfordwest, Port Talbot and Swansea. It takes its name from St. David's ancient see.

Our Bishop . . .

is The Rt. Rev. Tom Burns, S.M. installed 1st December 2008.

Curial Office . . .

27 Convent Street
Greenhill
Swansea
SA1 2BX

Tel: (01792) 644017
Fax: (01792) 458641
Email: [email]pa@menevia.org[/email]

I don't know if the church you intend to go to is in this Diocese or not (in fact I don't know how many Diocese there are in Wales) But I hope if you ring the office they would be able to help you.
God bless

Perhaps you could even attend a latter Christmas Eve Mass and leave your daughter asleep with your inlaws. I'm assuming she is young and not obligated to attend. Most Church's have several Christmas Even Masses.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. In the end the old-fashioned way worked, I got through on the phone and found out the times of the Masses.

After that, DH's aunt phoned up and said we couldn't stay overnight after all as there wasn't any room for us, so we're travelling down in the morning, which means a Christmas Eve Mass from PIL's house.

Also, when I expressed relief at not having to travel 20 miles to nearest Catholic Church, MIL came up with a list of closer ones (wouldn't be surprised to find she had also memorised Mass times!) which she had neglected to tell me about during previous pleadings :eek:

Anyway, all's well that's ends well, I have a Mass to go to and shall pray for all of you who offered assistance.

Thanks again! :D

[quote="Batfink, post:10, topic:223308"]

Anyway, all's well that's ends well, I have a Mass to go to and shall pray for all of you who offered assistance.

Thanks again! :D

[/quote]

Brilliant! Glad everything turned out well!

Oh the joys of family communication! :rolleyes:

Merry Christmas! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.