What exactly is a "born again"

*good afternoon…please can somenone explain to me, once and for all, exactly what is a “born again” christian?? what does it mean?? how many different religions, or “faith” groups/ministries subscribe to, or practice the belief of being “born again”?? what does it imply in regards to my being catholic?? do they think they are the only ones who are going to heaven?? are they all anti-catholic?? what’s the deal??? i’m so confused!!!:confused: *

thanks to anyone who can help,
flodean

[quote=flodean]*good afternoon…please can somenone explain to me, once and for all, exactly what is a “born again” christian?? what does it mean?? how many different religions, or “faith” groups/ministries subscribe to, or practice the belief of being “born again”?? what does it imply in regards to my being catholic?? do they think they are the only ones who are going to heaven?? are they all anti-catholic?? what’s the deal??? i’m so confused!!!:confused: *

thanks to anyone who can help,
flodean
[/quote]

it’s been my experience that it can mean different things to different people… but, i will attemp a brief definition…
…when you repent of your sins, accept Jesus as lord and savior of your life, (whatever that means) then you are born again…

in the bible, it relates or originates from Christ meeting with Nicodemus, when he asked Christ about his statement about being born again… Christ told him that you had to be born of the Spirit as well as the water…

taking too long to answer i know… but i have not seen a definitive statement of “accepting Christ as Lord and Savior” that is not different depending upon which denomination you hail from… sorry i wasn’t more clear…

Here’s a Catholic Answers tract that may be helpful:

Are Catholics Born Again?
catholic.com/library/Are_Catholics_Born_Again.asp

A born again Christian is a person who has made a personal choice to live a Christian life. This is a case where you realize how poor your own efforts are, that only with the help of Jesus can you be the person that God wants you to be.So you just tell God that, & ask him to help you lead a better life.
The idea is to really distinguish between those people who would check “Christian” on a multiple choice quiz–like, 1. Jewish, 2.Hindu, 3. Buddhist, 4. Christian. (check one), as opposed to those who take their faith in the Lord seriously, who are trying to lead a life that befits a follower of Jesus Christ.
The phrase is common because there are so many social"Christians" who don’t believe in or practice anything. Many of these folks who are using this phrase may belong to regular churches–not fundamentalist at all–but they have had a decision to live their life in a committed way. Or they might be someone that only found faith at a later age, but is now very excited about it.
Some people are going to be more vocal for this reason.
Most of them will not be thinkig that they will be the only ones in Heaven, but some may. This is an individual thing, according to the group where they have been talk…
Some are anti Catholic. Most are not, I dfon’t think–just very excited & bubbling over with having Jesus in their lives in a very special way.
I hope this helps. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.