What exactly is a spiritual bouquet?

:shrug:In our parish bulletin, the priest invited everyone to make a spiritual bouquet for father's day. What exactly is that? Is it is literal bouquet or just a paper with prayer requests?

[quote="Abundant, post:1, topic:328488"]
:shrug:In our parish bulletin, the priest invited everyone to make a spiritual bouquet for father's day. What exactly is that? Is it is literal bouquet or just a paper with prayer requests?

[/quote]

The custom I'm familiar with is to get a nice-looking scrap-book and decorate it with prayers and holy images, together with promises from various people of the different prayers that they will pray for the person.

I'm sure the custom varies according to region, and according to who you happen to be doing it with. The essential element is the written promises of prayers for the person to whom the bouquet is being given.

In the old days, there actually used to be greeting cards with something like “a spiritual bouquet for you” on the front. Inside, there would be something like a checkoff list and you would write down the number of how many rosaries, individual prayers, masses or whatever you would be offering for the person. So, this would be a bouquet of prayers rather than a bouquet of flowers.

[quote="Sunbreak, post:3, topic:328488"]
In the old days, there actually used to be greeting cards with something like "a spiritual bouquet for you" on the front. Inside, there would be something like a checkoff list and you would write down the number of how many rosaries, individual prayers, masses or whatever you would be offering for the person. So, this would be a bouquet of prayers rather than a bouquet of flowers.

[/quote]

Friends of mine gave one to my parents. My parents had given these friends a TV that they weren't using anymore.

It was a greeting card and inside were the titles of the prayers the family had prayed for my parents intentions.

It said something like

Mr and Mrs XXXXXX

A spiritual bouquet for you

We prayed for your intentions

A Joyful Rosary

A Divine Mercy chaplet

3 Glory Be's

and a prayer of Saint Michael.

With love, The XXX Family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.