What exactly is meant by the intercession "For Christian unity...." ????

At most of the parishes around here, one of the intercessions read aloud at Mass every Sunday invariably is “For Christian unity, let us pray to the Lord.”

Then it hit me: what exactly is meant by “Christian unity”?

I define “Christian unity” as the return of all Christians, i.e., Eastern Orthodox, Protestants, and other splinter groups back to the Catholic Church.

However, I suspect that what the author of this seemingly harmless intercession probably has in mind is indifferentism, i.e., all Christians of whatever stripe simply getting along. I’m OK – you’re OK.

The catechism (CCC 855) says this:

====
The Church’s mission stimulates efforts towards Christian unity. Indeed, “divisions among Christians prevent the Church from realizing in practice the fullness of catholicity proper to her in those of her sons who, though joined to her by Baptism, are yet separated from full communion with her. Furthermore, the Church herself finds it more difficult to express in actual life her full catholicity in all its aspects.”

So what is your definition of “Christian unity”???

The same as yours. There is only One Church and I pray that all Christian denominations will recognise that fact and return/come Home.

I am not sure what the Church means exactly, but when I pray for Christian Unity, I pray that all “Christian groups” come back Home to the Catholic Church. :gopray2:

I cannot think of any other “definition” of “Christian Unity” other than we all be part of the
ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, and APOSTOLIC Church. So that is for what I pray. :gopray:

That “concept” of “I’m ok, you’re ok” is garbage. We all know that God will spit us out if we felt that way.

Revelation 3:15-22 (ESV)
15 “‘I know your works: you are neither
cold nor hot. Would that you were either
cold or hot!
[size=]16 So, because you are lukewarm,
and neither hot nor cold, I will spit
you out of my mouth
17 For you say, I am rich, I have prospered,
and I need nothing, not realizing that you
are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.
18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined
by fire, so that you may be rich, and white
garments so that you may clothe yourself
and the shame of your nakedness may not
be seen, and salve to anoint your eyes, so
that you may see.
19 Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline,
so be zealous and repent.
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears my voice and opens the door,
I will come in to him and eat with him, and he
with me.
21 The one who conquers, I will grant him to
sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered
and sat down with my Father on his throne.
22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the
Spirit says to the churches.’”[/size]

Greetings and peace be with you lepanto, and thanks for starting this thread.

Somehow Christian Unity must hang on the greatest commandments and I believe that Christ showed us how by his last commandment. Love one another as I have loved you; by this all men will know that you are my disciples.

In the spirit of striving for a greater Christian Community.

Eric

:yup: Yes, this makes much sense. :heart: I shall pray :gopray2: that we all love one another and that we all Love God with all our heart, and with all our soul, and with all our might. :heart:

And I would still love for all to come Home to the Catholic Church. :gopray: Jesus is here, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity. Just go to any Catholic Church and He is there in the Tabernacle and you can see Him during Adoration and Benediction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.