What fellowship does light have with darkness?

So I know that the Bible says to not be “unequally yoked with unbelievers”, and then asks “what fellowship can light have with darkness” and “what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever.” Does this mean that it’s a sin to have friendly associations with unbelievers? (obviously my closest friends would be other Christians)

“Friendly associations” as you call it is a Christian call to evangelize the world. To be kind and caring (the good Samaritan example) is a call to see in all, Christ. So to engage those who are unbelievers is not a sin. It would only be a sin if you allowed their unbelief to corrupt your own.
And then again, there is Christ’s exhortation, "and if you come to a place that will not receive you, shake the dust from your sandals as you leave. I assure you Sodom and Gomorrah will fare better on the day of judgment than that place (or person)
Being a follower of Christ is a balancing act. One we probably never master in life, but should always strive for the ideal.
Good luck.

closed #3

opened #4

Why was this locked?

I don’t know. Mistake maybe?

I was just going to say that I usually hear this verse used in the context of a Christian marrying a non-Christian.

Yes, some of these marriages work just fine, but it can be a big problem and an extra hassle. However, some manage very well, and even eventually convert their spouse!

Of course you can have friends with non-believers. As with everything, use discernment and don’t associate with those who lead you to sin.

I hear ya - is it all black and white - dark and light - evil and good ?

But different wave lengths of light -

The dictionary definition of fellowship is “friendly association”, and because that’s forbidden by the Bible, it just worries me.

Since you’ve said that you have OCD, it’s better not to exacerbate your compulsions by posting on here, especially if things like this are going to worry you. You’ll get a lot of contradictory answers from people of a variety of levels of formation and ability to properly interpret things. It’s best to talk to your priest and mental health professional.

You are in my prayers.

-Fr ACEGC

Why are you referring to a secular dictionary for definitions?

Before you tear yourself apart with more of these scrupulous questions, take Fr. Edward’s advice to heart.

You worry too much because you “read” things in bits and pieces and then let your OCD run amuck. And you haven’t even resorted to the proper resources, namely, a Greek lexicon for the word “koinonia” (I will not teach you that word here). But instead, you turn to Websters, get an imprecise, irrelevant definition, then go bonkers.

Not only are these forums a bad idea for people like you, but your research methods leave a lot to be desired.

closed #11

This topic was automatically closed after 18 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.