What form of the Roman Rite do you prefer? (Poll)

• Extraordinary Form (Tridentine)
  • Ordinary Form (Novus Ordo)

0 voters

You forgot to include options for “No preference” and “It depends”.

21 Likes

Pointless poll.

10 Likes

Very polite comment. Care to explain?

4 Likes

Most Catholics have no access to the Tridentine mass and have never experienced it.

7 Likes

Yes, unfortunately. I, myself, have my closest Sunday mass 8 hours driving from me. Even so, I try to go each month once. But, almost everyone could read about and look at videos at youtube. It is enought to realize what they are missing.

2 Likes

I grew up with the Ordinary Form and served it daily for nearly 10 years straight. I’ve found that the bulk of folks who have problems with the Ordinary Form don’t have problems with the form itself so much as with the abuse of the form and the banal music that is permitted. But, if one can find a reverent Ordinary Form with traditional music (or, preferably, Gregorian Chant), then most of the issues really disappear.

Anyhow, I’m Maronite now, and I prefer the Maronite Qurbono or the Byzantine Divine Liturgy over either the Ordinary or Extraordinary Forms of the Roman Rite.

10 Likes

Interesting. Other than the differences in the form of the rituals, what was the theological reason for your switching to Maronite?

2 Likes

Send me a PM and we can talk about it. I don’t want to derail the thread. :grin:

1 Like

I would not mind at all seeing some of the Traditional elements brought into the OF Mass: Communion Rail, more Latin responses, no modern songs or music but the Traditional hymns with the organ, wouldn’t even mind Father facing away for Consecration. Those elements wouldn’t be an issue to me at all. I’ve never been to an EF Mass and we do have reverent OF Masses here.

9 Likes

Pope St. Paul VI established a minimum of Latin responses that were supposed to be retained in the Ordinary Form. Sadly that minimum is largely ignored.

I’ve been to a number of OF parishes where the Communion Rail has either never fallen out of use, or was later re-installed and put to use once more. It’s a beautiful thing to see (in the Roman Rite).

I’ve also been to parishes where celebrating Mass ad orientem was once again re-established. Again, it’s a beautiful thing to see.

Much of my personal issue with the OF revolves simply around the poor choice in music. But I recognize that that’s not a problem with the form itself, so much as with the pastor and the music ministers.

3 Likes

There is always room for improvement in any Mass because we are human beings and we make mistakes and sometimes take the easy way but unless the OF is very liberal in all areas with some really questionable things going on they have, for me personally, been very reverent.

2 Likes

You’re on a Traditional Catholicism message board. The results won’t exactly be a surprise.

2 Likes

More people prefer the ordinary form. The results seem accurate

2 Likes

My thought exactly. This place is not exactly representative of anything, and those that answer a poll her, less so. The only thing it will represent is a percentage of people who bothered or cared to click on this poll.

2 Likes

Ordinary form is winning…

3 Likes

[quote=“Phillip_Rolfes, post:7, topic:575334, full:true”]
I grew up with the Ordinary Form and served it daily for nearly 10 years straight. I’ve found that the bulk of folks who have problems with the Ordinary Form don’t have problems with the form itself so much as with the abuse of the form and the banal music that is permitted. But, if one can find a reverent Ordinary Form with traditional music (or, preferably, Gregorian Chant), then most of the issues really disappear.[/quote]

This is kind of my thoughts on it as well. Music that’s sounds like “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” does nothing to inspire me or help turn my mind to God. Then there’s a parish I went to before I moved that had incorporated a bass guitar. The bass was turned up high enough that I left with a splitting headache. Not conducive to a positive Mass experience.

For the record, I love the bass. Just not in Mass.

1 Like

Let’s vote people!

Both.

Ten characters

1 Like

I myself have it like this:

Ad Orientem OF > EF > Novus Ordo OF

So right now I really am unsure how to answer this thread, because Ad Orientem OF is not available near me at all and neither is it what people imagine when they hear “OF”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.