What happened to global warming?

This headline may come as a bit of a surprise, so too might that fact that the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998.

But it is true. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures.

And our climate models did not forecast it, even though man-made carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be responsible for warming our planet, has continued to rise.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8299079.stm

The real question is what happened to global cooling?

In the lat 70’s the big fear is that we were headed towards another ice age. There were even cover stories in TIME and NEWSWEEK about it.

They changed the name of the problem to climate change so that, whether the temp goes up or down, they could still use it to grab money and power from people.

1998 was a year with a strong el nino which typically causes world temperatures to spike for that year. youtube.com/user/greenman3610#p/u/3/QwnrpwctIh4
scienceblogs.com/illconsidered/2006/04/warming-stopped-in-1998.php

As for the whole global cooling thing in the 1970’s actually most scientists didn;t predict global cooling back then. realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2008/03/the-global-cooling-mole/

It does not matter what Time and Newsweek were saying they are not scientific journals.

Actually I still see global warming used quite a bit. But actually using the term climate change helps get across the idea that the it isn;t just the temperature that is going up, other things are happening too like changes in precipation patterns for instance.

Climate change is an obviously better term than global warming because climate constantly changes so there will always be something to point to … e.g. precipitation patterns, while global warming is tied solely to a measurable phenomenon which for the last decade has been singularly uncooperative and refused to increase as predicted.

Ender

Summer ended. :stuck_out_tongue:

The formula is this: Fear = Money. As long as Americans are comfortable and feeling secure, they’ll keep their money. Get them scared, and they’ll willingly hand some over.

I live in Michigan, the climate is changing all the time, always has :slight_smile:

Peace,
Ed

It’s like the homeless problem when a evil Republican holds the office of the President there are millions of homeless. When a Democrat holds the office there is no homeless problem.

The other day I read in The Washington Times that since they [NASA] has been taking temperature readings from satellites of the ice caps this year is less melting than any other year!

Where are the headlines and news stories about that?

As another poster stated follow the money, it’s all about the money.

The AGW cultists prefer to call it “climate change” now. Trying to hedge their bets, I suppose.

Al Gore made the money he wanted from his propaganda movie, so it’s not important any more.

Actually, the real answer is that it never existed to begin with. It was just another one of those “This Decade’s Panic We Can Use To Make Money For the Democratic National Committee” dreamed up by the liberal think thanks.

yes this so called earth warming is a hoax! Like the Cardiff giant hoax,and the UFOs nonsense,the Y2K fear over all computers going bonkers at the stroke of midnight 2000,on and on ,we are the victims of good ole Doc.Pavlov!..I have gone down to several waterfront homes of folks I know and in a mock seriousness asked them…“since your property will be underwater soon ,I would like to present you with a favor,I will take this house and property for …well $100.00…this is of course a bargain…Gore and the other experts predict the waterfront properties of the world will all be flooded…so whatta you thinkk?”…strange,the front door makes a weird final sound when it is slammed into your face!!! Pas

Gorebal warming never actually had anything to do with carbon dioxide. Not even a correlation except once in a while when there was a coincidence. During the Great Depression, carbon dioxide went down but temps went up, for example. [To avoid being nitpicked to death by the ringers, technically some of the ten warmest years occurred during the 1930’s.] Doesn’t prove anything; HOWEVER it does give lie to the claim that redcuing carbon dioxide emissions will cool the planet.

Keep in mind that the OCEANS [not an acronym … it’s the oceans, like the Pacific, the Atlantic, etc, and not the supermarket chain] are the biggest source of carbon dioxide emissions, all even more so when the oceans warm up. The oceans and biosphere REGULATE carbon dioxide concentrations. [What is really weird is that the most often quoted carbon dioxide measuring station is at Mona Loa, in Hawaii, which is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. When the ocean water warms up, the carbon dioxide goes into the atmosphere.

Humans produce less than 4% of the carbon dioxide that goes into the air every year and as a green house gas, carbon dioxide lags far behind water vapor both in quantity and the spectral range of infrared absorbed.

Finally, ALL of the claims about global warming, climate change and the rest comes from COMPUTER models that have never been verified. Not ever. And there are more than 20 of the computer models and they do not agree with one another.

If the science was really solved, the models would agree and there would be exactly ONE climate model.

And keep in mind, that the apostle of climate change, Al Gore, has no scientific background of any kind. At all. He is so weak that he won’t debate.

I went and got a subscription to “The Energy Advocate” a snail mail newsletter published by Dr. Howard Hayden. Fabulous. www.energyadvocate.com also visit www.valeslake.com

The October 2009 issue of The Energy Advocate provided some of the info above, but the October issue actually has a lot more that I just didn’t have time to key in. Great stuff.

It’s probably the best of the newsletters for both technical and lay people. Dr. Hayden explains everything and provides references for further looking up.

‘Global warmin’ is something of a misnomer. Man-made climatic change is certainly still with us, as verified by noted, reputable scientists and NASA.

If I’m gonna be wrong, I want to err on the side of protecting nature. Its our religious duty.

Climate chage from what? How the climate was in the 14th Cnetury? 18th Chectury? 21 Century?

BTW-I though our religious duty was to lead all to Christ-invoking “nature” sounds more Wiccan than catholic

Ask folks in Guam or other low-lying islands. I also have seen a glacier in Canada which has receded far back from where it has been recently.

I don’t know what it sounds like but waste surely is evil. And the pope has preached against despoiling the environment.

Genesis teaches environmentalism and conserving the earth’s resources.

So what year did we have the perfect climate?

This headline may come as a bit of a surprise, so too might that fact that the warmest year recorded globally was not in 2008 or 2007, but in 1998.
But it is true. For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures.
And our climate models did not forecast it, even though man-made carbon dioxide, the gas thought to be responsible for warming our planet, has continued to rise.
So what on Earth is going on?

more…

What I don’t understand is this: Why do the majority of conservative Christians and conservative Catholics seem to be so opposed to the idea of man-influenced climate change? The evidence for it is substantial. It is the vastly prevailing scientific opinion. Though there are a minority of skeptical scientists, it doesn’t explain why the vast majority of conservative Christians are opposed to the idea of man-influenced climate change. One would think that the same percentage of skeptical scientists would be roughly equivalent to the percentage of conservative Christians skeptics.

So what’s the deal? Is it because you believe that Jesus is coming so very soon and it doesn’t *matter *if the planet is being damaged by human influence? Is it because you believe that God wouldn’t *let *us damage our planet to the point of causing serious harm? Is it perhaps simply because liberals have been the one to initially be concerned about global climate change and environmentalism - and you don’t like liberals because of the abortion issue - and so you therefore discount man-influenced global climate change? Is it just because this has been generally viewed as a “liberal” issue of the Democratic party and most Christians are conservative Republicans, so they oppose it just because their party opposes it?

I just don’t get it. It would seem that the command by God to watch over this planet and practice good stewardship would lead you to be very concerned about the impact human beings have on this planet and it’s species.

Well when NASA says that the ice caps on Mars are melting too I have to question it. There are no cows or evil conservative Christians on Mars.

How come Al Gore will not debate with a real scientist or I should say a scientist that disagrees with his view point. How come nobody questions how much money he has invested in this man-made GW thing.

Over half of scientists disagree with the man-made GW crowd.

The people that [scientists] say that we “Mankind” are causing this I say follow the money. I’m not going to get into all the old GW models that they go by.

BTW Wikipedia as your link I can type that my dog causes GW. In fact if you go to this link about the history of the First Cavalry Division United States:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Cavalry_Division_(United_States)

The 13th Signal Battalion fielded Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) a secure digital communications system for the 21st century for Corps and below units. B Company 13th Signal Battalion was first to provide MSE communications to SWA Theater of Operations 1990.

The 13th Signal Battalion was the first unit in the U.S. Army to deploy Mobile Subscriber Equipment (MSE) into combat. Installing, operating, and maintaining communications equipment to support a vast communications network spanning over 280 kilometers, the 13th Signal Battalion again met the challenge of providing the division’s communications.

The stuff in red I posted on that site because it was my troopers that did this in the First Gulf War, what I posted is historical fact. I just wanted to point out to you that anyone can post on Wikipedia.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.