What happened to love?

There is so much discension in the Churches. Protestant and Catholocism. This needs to end. There needs to be unity in the body, we need to be united in purpose and thought and Spirit. Ok, i hear people arguing about interpretation of scripture and this and that, and people rebutting people in resentful ways, and all that which is not of the Kingdom. Now i struggle with some of these same things, but im making a call to you all, right now. We need to pray for the Grace, and that the love of Christ would overflow through us. We need to LOVE. All the wisdom, and knowledge and teaching is NO GOOD without LOVE. Why are you correcting the person? Is it to be right? Or is it to encourage and build them up in faith. Dont argue about endless geneologies, we dont need to worry to much about false teaching, teh Spirit will teach us, if we are walking the Lord. I get caught up in. trying to prove someone wrong, i get proud, and vain, and concieted. We all fall short. Listen im asking for your help. im asking that you please pray for one another. i struggle with pride,vanity,conceit,selfish ambition,lust. Let me know how i can lift you up in prayer.

Honestly Jesus didnt shed His blood ona cross so that we coulda rgue about interpretations, and legalities. These things can be argued forever and ever, and still nothig would get accomplished. Jesus died so that we could know the love of our Creator, so that we could believe in Him, and have a relationship with God. Jesus died so that by showing us love first, we might also love one another. That was His command.

I ask you, if you were on trial for being a Christian, is there enough evidence to find you guilty? Have you turned from your sins and turned to the Lord? Do you walk with the Lord and follow Him. Do you read His word? Do you have fellowship with your brothers and sisters?

Yours in Christ
~Matt~

A fine sentiment, my friend.

Jesus’ final prayer was that his followers would be one. We aren’t. But there is one place where the way, truth and life of Jesus is still in action. That is the Catholic Church.

If what I said is true, then we have an obligation to point it out. Sure some can be like the sons of thunder (James and John?), but “A spoken rebuke is better than hidden love” - Proverbs

Don’t let it ruffle your feathers if there’s a bit to much testosterone in the forums. Just get in there and be the salt and light God intended you to be. :thumbsup:

Why can’t we all get along by comprimising the truth IS NEVER taught by the Gospel.

beng u r the one that made me post this thread about love,
Are you living and speaking by the law that sets you free? the law of love? Its about Jesus, listen if you know the Lord and have His Spirit in your heart, you are alright, He will continue to teach you and discipline you because he loves you. And this is for everyone.

1 John 4;4 " But you belong to God, my dear children. YOU HAVE ALREADY WON YOUR FIGHT WITH THESE FALSE PROPHETS, because THE SPIRIT WHO LIVES IN YOU IS GREATER THAN THE spirit WHO LOVES IN THE WORLD."

I dont aggree with everything that the Catholic church teaches, i think some of it is goofy. Does that make me less of a Christian?

Absolutely.

What the Catholic Church teaches = what Jesus taught.

Not following what the Catholic Church teaches = not following what Jesus taught = Less Christian

Luk 10:16

Jesus taugth that Michael the Archangel guards purgatory and if you pray to him he will set 100 people free and bring them to heaven? Interesting. Show me that one.That is what the Catholic Church teaches.
Seriously, its about Christ, its about faith, hope and love. Its not about legalism.

I could be wrong about every single thing i say. I pray that i can keep an open mind, and be willing to humbly admit if i am wrong.

Jesus is Lord.
Amen

[quote=Anonymous_1]Jesus taugth that Michael the Archangel guards purgatory and if you pray to him he will set 100 people free and bring themt o heaven? Interesting. Show me that one.
Seriously, its about Christ, its about faith, hope and love. Its not about legalism.
[/quote]

Show me that what you said is taught by the Catholic Church or Jesus.

Ask that first of self-proclaimed fundie “Bible Christians” who roll in here with guns blazing screaming “Catholics are all hell-bound devil worshippers in the clutches of the anti-Christ.”

In all honesty, I question their sincerity, and their openness to the Holy Spirit, for no one led by the Holy Spirit will ever spew out such toxic garbage about the Church Christ founded. Well-meaning separated Christians may not be irresistably drawn to the Church immediately; all is accomplished in God’s good time, but "you Catholics are " tells an entirely different story.

While we are indeed called to love them, I think we should stand up strongly against those who bash the Church first thing after signing up on the boards. Charity begets charity. Uncaritableness gets flamed. Nuff said.

The great Archangel is not only protector of the Christians on earth but of those in purgatory as well. He assists the dying, accompanies the souls to their private judgment, brings them to purgatory, and afterward presents them to God at their entrance into Heaven. Thus he is the actual patron of the holy souls. As Satan is “ruler” in hell so Michael is the “governor” of Heaven (Praepositus Paradisi) according to ancient books. The Church expresses this patronage in her liturgy.

i dont bash the church

the church is the body of Christ…wow…
im going to bed
Peace

[quote=Anonymous_1]The great Archangel is not only protector of the Christians on earth but of those in purgatory as well. He assists the dying, accompanies the souls to their private judgment, brings them to purgatory, and afterward presents them to God at their entrance into Heaven. Thus he is the actual patron of the holy souls. As Satan is “ruler” in hell so Michael is the “governor” of Heaven (Praepositus Paradisi) according to ancient books. The Church expresses this patronage in her liturgy.
[/quote]

Source?

To answer tour questions: YES, YES, YES,YES, YES.
Any serious Catholic would answer yes to all these questions.

Am I also perfectly charitable when I defend the truth of Christ’s teachings. Unfortunately I do fall short. I do want people know the truth because for so long I didn’t and knowing it has changed my life. I fight for the truth because I want all the blessings and graces to be poured down upon all Gods children. I want them to know Jesus in Eurcharist because it has changed my life.

Do I ever fall into pride, sure I do. Do I ever get defensive-you bet. After hearing some the redicloulous and false things* some* non Catholic groups say about the Catholic church you just want to pull your hair out. They are times when I have discussions with some non Catholic Christians, and even after you tell them “such n such” is not what we believe, even after you show it to them in the catechism, even after you give them scriptural references they still tell yes that is what you believe. They tell me what I believe. :banghead: Yeah sometimes I just lose it and I know that is not the way to win souls for Christ.

You are absolutely right, we do need love. We need to love all are brothers and sisters in Christ. We need to be charitable, we need to try to find common ground. But we can not compromise the truth in the name of Christian charity.We are obligated to profess the truth always and every where but we need to do in love. You don’t win souls for Christ by beating them over the head. Peace.

Ask that first of self-proclaimed fundie “Bible Christians” who roll in here with guns blazing screaming “Catholics are all hell-bound devil worshippers in the clutches of the anti-Christ.”

i never said that though. i dont aggree with everything the catholic church teaches, but i do believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that he died of rour sins upon a cross, that he was raised to the Highest Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father and so does the catholic church and the protestants. I believe the bible is the word of God. Do you have to believe in gravity for it to hold you down? Why do i have to believe in purgatory. If all Christians are going there than ill find out if i get there. Etc,etc. I dotn want toa rgue, i just wanted to say we need to love one another…Love is patient, love is kind, it is not proud,rude,boastful it does nto demand its own way…All that i know now is partial and incomplete, but then i will know everything completley just as God knows me now

[quote=Anonymous_1]i never said that though. i dont aggree with everything the catholic church teaches, but i do believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that he died of rour sins upon a cross, that he was raised to the Highest Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father and so does the catholic church and the protestants. I believe the bible is the word of God. Do you have to believe in gravity for it to hold you down? Why do i have to believe in purgatory. If all Christians are going there than ill find out if i get there. Etc,etc. I dotn want toa rgue, i just wanted to say we need to love one another…Love is patient, love is kind, it is not proud,rude,boastful it does nto demand its own way…All that i know now is partial and incomplete, but then i will know everything completley just as God knows me now
[/quote]

Anon,

Not you :slight_smile: The post is in response to your thread question 'What happenned to love". Basically what I’m saying is that many fundies come in here with anything BUT love, rather with a bigoted hatred for the Catholic Church.

[quote=Anonymous_1]i never said that though. i dont aggree with everything the catholic church teaches, but i do believe Jesus is the Son of God, and that he died of rour sins upon a cross, that he was raised to the Highest Heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father and so does the catholic church and the protestants. I believe the bible is the word of God. Do you have to believe in gravity for it to hold you down? Why do i have to believe in purgatory. If all Christians are going there than ill find out if i get there. Etc,etc. I dotn want toa rgue, i just wanted to say we need to love one another…Love is patient, love is kind, it is not proud,rude,boastful it does nto demand its own way…All that i know now is partial and incomplete, but then i will know everything completley just as God knows me now
[/quote]

Hi Anonymous,
I really like what you say and agree completely with you. Would you like to comment on this statement. Romans 14 ( the complete chapter) is the creed for apologists.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG

[left]**Ever heard of Jonne Donne? **[/left]
Now thou hast loved me one whole day,
To-morrow when thou leavest, what wilt thou say ?
Wilt thou then antedate some new-made vow ?
Or say that now
We are not just those persons which we were ?
Or that oaths made in reverential fear
Of Love, and his wrath, any may forswear ?
Or, as true deaths true marriages untie,
So lovers’ contracts, images of those,
Bind but till sleep, death’s image, them unloose ?
Or, your own end to justify,
For having purposed change and falsehood, you
Can have no way but falsehood to be true ?
Vain lunatic, against these 'scapes I could
Dispute, and conquer, if I would ;
Which I abstain to do,
For by to-morrow I may think so too.

[left] [/left]

[quote=edwinG]Hi Anonymous,
I really like what you say and agree completely with you. Would you like to comment on this statement. Romans 14 ( the complete chapter) is the creed for apologists.
Christ be with youhttp://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

I will second that. I had to jump in because I just read Romans 14 the other day (someone else had quoted from it) and I think it ranks among Paul’s best writing. It is certainly a fitting chapter to read when the discussions here get a little too contentious (sp?)

-Jim

[quote=Anonymous_1]There is so much discension in the Churches. Protestant and Catholocism. This needs to end. There needs to be unity in the body, we need to be united in purpose and thought and Spirit.
[/quote]

Thank you. Well said. We Catholics have said that for 2,000 years now.

Ok, i hear people arguing about interpretation of scripture and this and that,

Right again. If people just followed Scripture and listened to the Catholic Church this would all but end.

and people rebutting people in resentful ways, and all that which is not of the Kingdom.

You’re right again. We need to show more Love. I admit that I may be guilty as ‘convicted of my Faith’ at times. I apologize if I offended you or anyone else.

Now i struggle with some of these same things,

That struggle may be the Holy Spirit trying to guide you to the truth and your human sinfullness not wanting to follow? It took 27 years for the Holy Spirit to work within me to follow Jesus. Now I’m Catholic. I can still feel Satan pulling me away from His Church, His body.

Why are you correcting the person?

The forum would be boring if not for the various opinions. We are human and like to discuss what we love, our Faith. Catholics are the most evangelical religion on earth and it is what we do.

Is it to be right? Or is it to encourage and build them up in faith.

To encourage what Jesus taught IS TO encourage Faith. Would you not want to correct a Mormon or JW or Muselm if you were given the chance?

Dont argue about endless geneologies, we dont need to worry to much about false teaching,

The Mormon opinion is all about endless geneologies. If we don’t discuss them how can we rebuke, rebuff and exhort to them as Scripture commands?

teh Spirit will teach us, if we are walking the Lord.

Acctually, the Mormons get converts because they say if “you feel good at our worship with us, it proves the Holy Spirit is guiding you home to Heavenly Father in the Mormon church.” We are lead by reason, not feelings. If feelings led us we’d all be Mormons for example.

I get caught up in. trying to prove someone wrong, i get proud, and vain, and concieted. We all fall short. Listen im asking for your help. im asking that you please pray for one another. i struggle with pride,vanity,conceit,selfish ambition,lust. Let me know how i can lift you up in prayer.

You’re doing that now by being here. Hopefully we will be bringing you closer to Jesus by sharing our Faith with you.

Honestly Jesus didnt shed His blood ona cross so that we coulda rgue about interpretations, and legalities.

Acctually, He established a Church as the pillar of truth to prevent this. Unfortunately Satan works to divide His Chuch and seperate many from His body.

These things can be argued forever and ever, and still nothig would get accomplished.

Not true. After 27 years of knowing about Jesus, I finally found Him in the Catholic Church. Sometimes Faith is slow in comming.

I ask you, if you were on trial for being a Christian, is there enough evidence to find you guilty? Have you turned from your sins and turned to the Lord? Do you walk with the Lord and follow Him. Do you read His word? Do you have fellowship with your brothers and sisters?

If you study history you’ll find Catholics have answered this repeatedly yes, and with their lives for 2,000 years now. Our protestant brothers and sisters too for the last 500 years have done the same. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ. Some day our seperated brethren will come home. The door is always open for their return but, we will never 're’form the Faith Jesus gave us. His Faith never needs reformation, just those who have fallen away from it.

You have made some good points, keep up the good work.

ill reply later. hope eveyrone is doing ok.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.