What Happened to Regular Mass?

OK I have my suit of armor on and I know I will be lambasted but here we go. I have to vent. I am sick of all the politically correct junk going on with Mass. It’s like I can’t attend a normal Mass anymore.

We have contemporary Mass, Youth Mass, Senior Mass, Charismatic Mass, Clown Mass, Children’s Mass, “String” Mass (all stringed instruments), outdoor Mass, Come as you are Mass, guitar Mass, Men’s Mass, Women’s Mass, Missions Mass, Fund raising Mass, Healing Mass, Teacher’s mass, Police and Firefighters Mass, Liturgical Dance mass, “Quick” Mass (for those who hate Mass I guess), no music mass (for those who don’t like to SING–we don’t want to offend them) and the list goes on and on and on.

I know that there are special events but sometimes it seems that all that we have is special events. Do we really have to be “entertained”? Are churches this big on being politically correct and making sure everyone is thrilled and excited at any given moment? What happened to MASS…plain, beautiful, respectful, old-fashioned Mass?
I don’t mind an occasional special event but aren’t feast days and holidays special enough? Do we have to worry people will lose interest so we must create all these “special Masses”?

I actually went to a Mass where they introduced the people while the organist played an inner city sounding tune, “Hi Good Morning and welcome to St Hollywood Mass. I am Sherry and I will be guiding you through the Mass today. Our celebrant is Fr. Joe and Deacon Bill be assisting him. Our readers are Dave Snow, Suzy Leaf, and our altar servers are Amy Blessing and Gerard Duncan who is serving us today for the first time. Let’s give a big hand for Gerard. (People clapping) The Knights of Columbus will be taking the offering and bringing up the gifts today. Welcome if you are visiting and we hope you enjoy your morning with us so will you please open your Missalettes to page ??? for our opening hymn.” and then this woman just broke into some Liza Minnelli opening act. I was shocked and left. I went to Latin Mass down the street. I had enough of pushing Jesus to the side so we don’t offend people.

I swear I will never step foot in that Hollywood production church again. I’m old and grumpy and maybe I’m totally nasty, but I just want Mass, where Jesus dying is the “big event”. I don’t just believe in transubstantiation, it’s a FACT…it’s real and I want Him and not all this balloon stuff. It breaks my heart, it’s like He’s not enough. I picture Him on the cross dying and some woman’s on the microphone…I don’t get it and I don’t want to get it.

So tear into me but I just had to let this fly as it’s just becoming more about entertaining people with “specialized” Masses so they don’t leave disappointed than about a personal encounter with Jesus who died for us. I’m so sorry He seems so boring to so many. He’s there, and I want HIM to be honored and worshiped. I guess they would say they are doing that, but I miss Mass the way it used to be when we didn’t try to impress people.

Thanks for listening,

Lorrie

[quote="Irishgal49, post:1, topic:296818"]
OK I have my suit of armor on and I know I will be lambasted but here we go. I have to vent. I am sick of all the politically correct junk going on with Mass. It's like I can't attend a normal Mass anymore.

We have contemporary Mass, Youth Mass, Senior Mass, Charismatic Mass, Clown Mass, Children's Mass, "String" Mass (all stringed instruments), outdoor Mass, Come as you are Mass, guitar Mass, Men's Mass, Women's Mass, Missions Mass, Fund raising Mass, Healing Mass, Teacher's mass, Police and Firefighters Mass, Liturgical Dance mass, "Quick" Mass (for those who hate Mass I guess), no music mass (for those who don't like to SING--we don't want to offend them) and the list goes on and on and on.

I know that there are special events but sometimes it seems that all that we have is special events. Do we really have to be "entertained"? Are churches this big on being politically correct and making sure everyone is thrilled and excited at any given moment? What happened to MASS....plain, beautiful, respectful, old-fashioned Mass?

I don't mind an occasional special event but aren't feast days and holidays special enough? Do we have to worry people will lose interest so we must create all these "special Masses"?

I actually went to a Mass where they introduced the people while the organist played an inner city sounding tune, "Hi Good Morning and welcome to St Hollywood Mass. I am Sherry and I will be guiding you through the Mass today. Our celebrant is Fr. Joe and Deacon Bill be assisting him. Our readers are Dave Snow, Suzy Leaf, and our altar servers are Amy Blessing and Gerard Duncan who is serving us today for the first time. Let's give a big hand for Gerard. (People clapping) The Knights of Columbus will be taking the offering and bringing up the gifts today. Welcome if you are visiting and we hope you enjoy your morning with us so will you please open your Missalettes to page ??? for our opening hymn." and then this woman just broke into some Liza Minnelli opening act. I was shocked and left. I went to Latin Mass down the street. I had enough of pushing Jesus to the side so we don't offend people.

I swear I will never step foot in that Hollywood production church again. I'm old and grumpy and maybe I'm totally nasty, but I just want Mass, where Jesus dying is the "big event". I don't just believe in transubstantiation, it's a FACT...it's real and I want Him and not all this balloon stuff. It breaks my heart, it's like He's not enough. I picture Him on the cross dying and some woman's on the microphone...I don't get it and I don't want to get it.

So tear into me but I just had to let this fly as it's just becoming more about entertaining people with "specialized" Masses so they don't leave disappointed than about a personal encounter with Jesus who died for us. I'm so sorry He seems so boring to so many. He's there, and I want HIM to be honored and worshiped. I guess they would say they are doing that, but I miss Mass the way it used to be when we didn't try to impress people.

Thanks for listening,

Lorrie

[/quote]

I had a harsh exchange with my pastor about this very subject. I said "we have every flavor of Mass available except a solemn one! Why is that?!?" He had no answer.

As long as they follow the rubrics from the Church I very much support things like "family Masses" and short "get it done so we can go drink" Saturday night Masses as they keep those people away from the Masses I attend.

Still I sure wish we had ONE solemn, "bells and smells" Mass without all the garbage.

LOL :rotfl:

I haven't seen any of that stuff around here. We have plain old Ordinary Form Mass, with choirs, organists, and singers of varying talent, a couple of parishes without any music because there is no organist, and we even have a couple of parishes that have a Tridentine Mass on Sundays.

You could try an early Sunday morning Mass. They seem to be the most reverent. Or if you have one of these "theme" Masses on Sunday as the only alternative, how about getting to a weekday Mass, just so you can keep your sense of reverence, and your sanity?

Or you could always move to Buffalo: Like I said, not much of those innovations around here!

I do feel your pain, though. It must be really irritating.

OK I have my suit of armor on and I know I will be lambasted but here we go. I have to vent. I am sick of all the politically correct junk going on with Mass. It's like I can't attend a normal Mass anymore.

We have contemporary Mass, Youth Mass, Senior Mass, Charismatic Mass, Clown Mass, Children's Mass, "String" Mass (all stringed instruments), outdoor Mass, Come as you are Mass, guitar Mass, Men's Mass, Women's Mass, Missions Mass, Fund raising Mass, Healing Mass, Teacher's mass, Police and Firefighters Mass, Liturgical Dance mass, "Quick" Mass (for those who hate Mass I guess), no music mass (for those who don't like to SING--we don't want to offend them) and the list goes on and on and on.

I know that there are special events but sometimes it seems that all that we have is special events. Do we really have to be "entertained"? Are churches this big on being politically correct and making sure everyone is thrilled and excited at any given moment? What happened to MASS....plain, beautiful, respectful, old-fashioned Mass?

I don't mind an occasional special event but aren't feast days and holidays special enough? Do we have to worry people will lose interest so we must create all these "special Masses"?

I actually went to a Mass where they introduced the people while the organist played an inner city sounding tune, "Hi Good Morning and welcome to St Hollywood Mass. I am Sherry and I will be guiding you through the Mass today. Our celebrant is Fr. Joe and Deacon Bill be assisting him. Our readers are Dave Snow, Suzy Leaf, and our altar servers are Amy Blessing and Gerard Duncan who is serving us today for the first time. Let's give a big hand for Gerard. (People clapping) The Knights of Columbus will be taking the offering and bringing up the gifts today. Welcome if you are visiting and we hope you enjoy your morning with us so will you please open your Missalettes to page ??? for our opening hymn." and then this woman just broke into some Liza Minnelli opening act. I was shocked and left. I went to Latin Mass down the street. I had enough of pushing Jesus to the side so we don't offend people.

I swear I will never step foot in that Hollywood production church again. I'm old and grumpy and maybe I'm totally nasty, but I just want Mass, where Jesus dying is the "big event". I don't just believe in transubstantiation, it's a FACT...it's real and I want Him and not all this balloon stuff. It breaks my heart, it's like He's not enough. I picture Him on the cross dying and some woman's on the microphone...I don't get it and I don't want to get it.

So tear into me but I just had to let this fly as it's just becoming more about entertaining people with "specialized" Masses so they don't leave disappointed than about a personal encounter with Jesus who died for us. I'm so sorry He seems so boring to so many. He's there, and I want HIM to be honored and worshiped. I guess they would say they are doing that, but I miss Mass the way it used to be when we didn't try to impress people.

Thanks for listening,

Lorrie

[/quote]

:clapping:LOL! This made me laugh and almost cry at the same time. Loved your post Irishgal, and I agree with you. "Special masses" should be for truly special moments or people, not for making ordinary people feel special so that they won't have their sense of entitlement offended. Ridiculous :mad:

Thanks for listening,

Lorrie

[/quote]

I'm with you all the way! We desperately need to bring back the reverent Holy Sacrifice of the Mass where Christ is THE focus. God Bless.

I may start checking into the Latin Mass.

I truly believe that it depends on the diocese that you are in and how much the local ordinary, as the chief liturgist of the diocese, honestly cares about the Mass.

Here is my diocese, we are very blessed with a Bishop (and the Bishop Emeritus before him) who love the liturgy and insist on good liturgy - no Clown Masses here, thanks be to God.

On the other hand, when I travel to the diocese where my family lives, I am guaranteed bad liturgy no matter what parish I go to. The last time was Corpus Christi Sunday where we had music that sounded like it belonged in a cocktail lounge and the priest actually said in his homily "We don't know where the doctrine of the Real Presence actually comes from." I almost raised my hand and said "Oh, I do, let's try the Gospel of John, chapter 6."

I believe that if the local ordinary is committed to good liturgy, you will find good litury in a diocese.

I sympathize with Irishgal post Catholic mass should be all about adoring God only. There's enough baal worshiping alternatives out available to the heretics that require that nonsense.

I will allow this thread to continue if there is no denigration of any rite of the Church or comparisons between them as to validity/appropriateness. Thank you.

Let's look at these mass "categories" you're so worried about...

contemporary Mass
"String" Mass (all stringed instruments)
outdoor Mass
Come as you are Mass
guitar Mass
no music mass (for those who don't like to SING--we don't want to offend them)

[/quote]

These are all just musical settings or places for the mass... the REGULAR mass. Announcing that a particular mass might be done with string instruments is a good way to let people know that they might want to appreciate reverence for the Lord in a different beautiful music setting than they generally attend... there is nothing wrong with that.

What offends my senses the most is that you presume that no-music masses are so as "not to offend those who like to sing". If that's the case, then we ought to look at the history of the church with low masses as one big effort to placate non-singers. In fact, our church has a no-music mass precisely BECAUSE it is a nod to the low mass of the EF and the beauty inherent in silent, meditational reverence for God.

What is troubling is that you don't seem to understand that regardless of music setting or which classical instrument is played, the mass is the mass.

Youth Mass
Senior Mass
Charismatic Mass
Children's Mass
Men's Mass
Women's Mass
Missions Mass
Fund raising Mass
Teacher's mass
Police and Firefighters Mass

These are all masses that have a particular intention tied to them (and sometimes a tailored message going along with that intention).

Guess what? EVERY mass is offered for specific intentions. These are the same masses as any other mass, and again it is troubling that you don't seem to understand that...

Healing Mass

You have something against offering the sacrament of annointing of the sick now, or are you just opposed to letting people know that at a particular mass that the sacrament will be offered?

Clown Mass
Liturgical Dance mass
"Quick" Mass (for those who hate Mass I guess)

These I would agree with you on, but I've never actually seen one other than a couple of youtube videos. As far as clown masses go, I'd heard about them for YEARS before someone on here FINALLY claimed to have actually been to one... so to be fair, this IS actually a valid point, though such masses are the exceptionally rare exceptions from the norm.

With the exception of the three abusive masses listed, and the very valid rite of annointing the sick in the healing mass, none of the above is a "special mass" at all... they are just the mass. What you are opposed to, then, is that some churches are taking the time to advertise the mass differently than a bland "we're having mass".

I actually went to a Mass where they introduced the people while the organist played an inner city sounding tune, "Hi Good Morning and welcome to St Hollywood Mass. I am NAME REMOVED and I will be guiding you through the Mass today. Our celebrant is Fr. NAME REMOVED and Deacon NAME REMOVED be assisting him. Our readers are NAME REMOVED, NAME REMOVED, and our altar servers are NAME REMOVED and NAME REMOVED who is serving us today for the first time. Let's give a big hand for NAME REMOVED. (People clapping) The Knights of Columbus will be taking the offering and bringing up the gifts today. Welcome if you are visiting and we hope you enjoy your morning with us so will you please open your Missalettes to page ??? for our opening hymn." and then this woman just broke into some Liza Minnelli opening act. I was shocked and left. I went to Latin Mass down the street. I had enough of pushing Jesus to the side so we don't offend people.

How in the world is it okay to out peoples' full names on the internet without their express approval to post their personal information... particularly in the case of the altar servers, who are presumably minors???

Thanks for listening,

Lorrie

[/quote]

I agree with you,but this not happening at every parish. I see it more at "liberal" parishes where everyone needs to be entertained as you so kindly said. Problem I acknowledge to is some Diocesan bishops seem to cater to people in order not to lose them. Shame on them! In fact one of the parish priest here at the parish I attend told me, he was reprimanded for mentioning Purgatory and Hell at a Mass. :eek: How sad!

My father used to call this “Tipping your hand.”

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:13, topic:296818"]
My father used to call this "Tipping your hand."

-Tim-

[/quote]

+1

:thumbsup:

. . . . . "Hi Good Morning and welcome to St Hollywood Mass. I am Sherry and I will be guiding you through the Mass today. Our celebrant is Fr. Joe and Deacon Bill be assisting him. Our readers are Dave Snow, Suzy Leaf, and our altar servers are Amy Blessing and Gerard Duncan who is serving us today for the first time. Let's give a big hand for Gerard. (People clapping). . .

[/quote]

I had to laugh at this part. I agree with you in large part. It's the Mass! It's the Sacrifice of Christ made present, not a broadway show. I really don't see the need for introductions. Everyone does their part. They don't need to take a bow.

(When I was an altar boy I would have been totally chagrined if anyone had mentioned my name during Mass. The only one who was even supposed to notice us was our Fifth Grade teacher, who took a little responsibility for our preparation. To everyone else we were and were intended to be, anonymous.)

Please do so. It’s what I did a long time ago. Left the nonsense behind and felt that I was actually, you know, at MASS for a change. Work situation now means I can’t attend the TLM, but I sure wish I could.

Would you please clarify, because from that statement it appears you are asserting that the OF is “nonesense” and that the EF is a mass while the OF is not… I would like to think that this is not what you meant by that statement…

[quote="Actaeon, post:17, topic:296818"]
Would you please clarify, because from that statement it appears you are asserting that the OF is "nonesense" and that the EF is a mass while the OF is not... I would like to think that this is not what you meant by that statement...

[/quote]

My diocese is a very liberal one. A good share of the Masses around are filled with nonsense. I work at a church with the NO, so I definitely believe that it is the Mass or I wouldn't be there. Fortunately, the pastor is one of the few no-nonsense priests around!

[quote="The_Curt_Jester, post:18, topic:296818"]
My diocese is a very liberal one. A good share of the Masses around are filled with nonsense. I work at a church with the NO, so I definitely believe that it is the Mass or I wouldn't be there. Fortunately, the pastor is one of the few no-nonsense priests around!

[/quote]

Has absolutely nothing to do with being "liberal." I think misuse of political terms does a lot to confuse things.

Then again you used the nasty slur "NO" to denote the EF Mass so I suspect down deep you knew that.

[quote="Exorcist, post:19, topic:296818"]
Has absolutely nothing to do with being "liberal." I think misuse of political terms does a lot to confuse things.

Then again you used the nasty slur "NO" to denote the EF Mass so I suspect down deep you knew that.

[/quote]

Ah, yet another person who insists that anyone who uses Novus Ordo is a nasty person. I've gone into that before and how even the Vatican secretary office used it POST SP, but everyone ignores that. Oh, it's just so, so nasty to use the name by which it was officially referred (and what many of us only knew for years) until 2007. There's still no place which forbids its use or says that it's a derogatory term now (It isn't).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.