What Happened to the Charismatics?

I remember posting on CA maybe 1 or 2 years ago and seeing many threads on the charismatic movement in the Catholic Church. Since that time, I don’t recall seeing many, if any at all. Have the Catholic Charismatics dissapeared from this site? It seems that now there is a lot more discussion of traditional and eastern Catholicism than there ever was before. Is this a trend?

I guess the movement is dying off…

See SCRC Note their annual convention in the Anaheim Convention Center, August 31 - September 2. Also they will be host to Father Raniero Cantalamessa, Preacher to the Papal household, on January 6, 2008. They have some life left.

Detroit was host to the 2007 convention a few months ago. It was packed to the gills, most of the participants being younger (young families and teens). This movement will not die off any time soon.

A nearby parish is part of the Charismatic Renewal (which was sanctioned by Pope John Paul II). It is the most vibrant parish I’ve ever attended, and follows the rubrics of the Mass 100%. Most of the families are quite large.

I am not part of the Charismatic Renewal, but I have great respect for those who are.

'thann

Perhaps they took the next logical step and joined Protestant churches. A number of “charismatic Catholics” whom I knew in the '90s did exactly that.

they probably got hurt and insulted by the extreme level of uncharity directed against them by some posters here with limited or no understanding of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and went elsewhere.

Puzzleannie - Don’t worry, we’re still here. :slight_smile:
Lepanto - Why is it a “logical step” for a Catholic Charismatic to join a Protestant church?:confused:

Originally Posted by puzzleannie:

they probably got hurt and insulted by the extreme level of uncharity directed against them by some posters here with limited or no understanding of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and went elsewhere.

:blessyou:

Thanks for your post. I used to be involved with the charismatic movement. It’s always good and interesting to have Catholic charismatics give their viewpoints on spiritual matters here.

Of the Charismatics I knew about equal numbers were on their way out of the Church and into the Church.

I’m second generation Charismatic renewal. I learned how to play guitar at prayer meetings and went to many meetings and life in the spirit seminars as a teen. Today I’d much rather spend my time with a pair of rosary beads out in front of an abortion mill. Maybe the Charismatic renewal was mother’s milk and some of us need the meat and potatoes that our mother the Church has to offer.

Originally Posted by Steve40:

I’m second generation Charismatic renewal. I learned how to play guitar at prayer meetings and went to many meetings and life in the spirit seminars as a teen. Today I’d much rather spend my time with a pair of rosary beads out in front of an abortion mill. Maybe the Charismatic renewal was mother’s milk and some of us need the meat and potatoes that our mother the Church has to offer.

:thumbsup:

I know many, many charismatics who pray the rosary before abortion clinics, btw.

I guess I may be one of them then. Occasionally I still break out into quiet tongs.

I just don’t think that Catholic Answers is very friendly to people with a Charismatic experience. Every time I have seen it discussed here, a bunch of ignorant people make all kinds of insulting remarks.

Then, too, it could be that in these forums there is that rule that you can’t discuss unapproved apparitions. Why, I’ll never know, since these discussions can really be interesting. This probably includes inner spiritual experiences, too. Since 99% of these things will never be investigated, let alone approved, I guess this just isn’t a very good place to discuss these things.

Pope John Paul II approved of the Charismatic Movement, and it is definitely a part of mainstream Catholicism. This movement is especially vibrant among Hispanic Catholics.

Anyone who has experienced what is commonly known as “Baptism in the Holy Spirit” will tell you that it hit them like a bolt of lightening and was a very life-changing experience.

Originally Posted by Listener:

Anyone who has experienced what is commonly known as “Baptism in the Holy Spirit” will tell you that it hit them like a bolt of lightening and was a very life-changing experience.

I was “Baptized in the Holy Spirit” (had probably a dozen people put their hands on my shoulder and pray over me in tongues to receive the Holy Spirit.) I didn’t experience anything and actually felt somewhat uncomfortable. In my own experience, I wouldn’t call it a life-changing experience. :slight_smile:

I’m not saying that the other people don’t experience anything. The woman in the pew in front of me was crying after she was prayed over (tears of joy, it would seem, possibly from an experience). I just know the charismatic movement is not for me. .

This is the problem where some people do not have “good leader” or lack of other things - I really like the group at my own parish, but there are two other groups at two parishes where people don’t listen to their own pastor or other advices. This is because they think that the Holy Spirit guides them and they are right and everybody else’s opinion is wrong.

I am aware that many times the Holy Spirit guides the people but at the same time the devil works harder as well. I couldn’t emphasize enough how humility and obedient one should be to their superior. The movement can become very helpful to many if all are doing in union with the Church and their leadership.

The last seminar I attended, the priest mainly focused on how to cast out bad spirit, demons, healing, …but didn’t mention anything about humility, humble, and obedience.

Some people never experience it and they make some comments that are hard to hear.

I believe I was hit by a bolt of lightning. The first seminar that I attended was the turning point of my life. However, I also see quite big negative coming out of the seminar - as I mentioned in the previous post - the lack of leadership has lead some parishioners go to extreme that they don’t listen to their own pastors - they assume that if the Holy Spirit tells them this or that, they must do it disregarding what their pastor advises or if someone else doesn’t listen to them or give them opposite advice, they quickly think this person must be lured by devil. :frowning:

You are certainly correct by lack of leadership. Our small group broke up some years ago. We were doing OK, Father attended when he could but then he quit attending. Then a lady who said she had the gift of discernment and casting out of’s, got carried away. The day she said that the two ladies who had diabetis and one with epilepsy should quit using their meds, and that they were filled with evil spirits and to come forward to have them cast out, was the end of our group. I stood and called her on it and left. Apparently everyone else left shortly thereafter and the group was no more. This is not to say that there aren’t good solid charismatics out there. Just my small town has no known catholic charismatics. If so, they attend the Protestants groups maybe. I do love the joy of a Charismatic Mass…

-Peace-

in this diocese there is a close overlap, in fact many of those who have been strongest and most persistent over the years were part of the CCR years ago, and are also the ones who have kept up with it through their prayer groups, retreats, seminars etc. They are also prominent among those who form the new pro-life and orthodox groups, and in large part responsible for Total Consecration to Mary groups, opening up more Adoration chapels etc.

I’m still confused as to what is “Baptism of the H.S., actual grace, saving grace, conviction of Spirit…” The experience I had was completely custom tailored for me. It was saving in nature , both in body and spirit. I don’t see this happening at the whims of laymen’s promptings. Everything was perfect in timing. I had one witness, my wife and she was freaked out. She was the one who put the bible in my hand. Everything was perfect for it. It didn’t not start out pleasant. It was a very spiritually painful at first. That part of it I can’t discern what it was and am afraid to say.I would be interested in going to a seminar or the like if it was made availible to me to hear others experiences though, but would be leary of any laymen who thinks they are in “control” of the H.S. Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.