What Happened to the Garden of Eden?

Did the Hebrews/Israelites believe that the Garden of Eden was still somewhere on Earth? Or did they think it had been destroyed? Is it possible that Eden was still there, but because God had banished humans away from it it eventually whithered away and is nothing more than a desert now?

Thanks.

The site of Eden remains; it is in Iraq near Baghdad and Babylon; but it is now extinct.

ICXC NIKA

[quote="GEddie, post:2, topic:315547"]
The site of Eden remains; it is in Iraq near Baghdad and Babylon; but it is now extinct.

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

Do you know of any commentary I can read on this? Are there any pictures of this supposed site? Also, why would the garden have gone extinct?

Actually, a site believed to be that of the Garden of Eden has been discovered. There are 4 rivers named in the book of Genesis: The Pishon, The Giphon, The Tigris and the Euphrates. The last two are still in existance, but the Pishon and Giphon have disappeared.
A couple of years ago, the traces of these two rivers were photographed from a satelite in outer space. What is thought to be these rivers are located in the Persian Gulf south of the port of Basra, which means that the Garden of Eden is also located under water in that area.
Of course, everyone can believe this or not.

That's fascinating!!! I'm off to google this...:popcorn:

[quote="GEddie, post:2, topic:315547"]

ICXC NIKA

[/quote]

Pretty sure a place cannot go extinct, just species can. Or ideas, I suppose.

So, what happened to the angel with the flaming sword?

Mormons believe that the Garden of Eden was in Independence, Missouri.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:4, topic:315547"]
Actually, a site believed to be that of the Garden of Eden has been discovered. There are 4 rivers named in the book of Genesis: The Pishon, The Giphon, The Tigris and the Euphrates. The last two are still in existance, but the Pishon and Giphon have disappeared.
A couple of years ago, the traces of these two rivers were photographed from a satelite in outer space. What is thought to be these rivers are located in the Persian Gulf south of the port of Basra, which means that the Garden of Eden is also located under water in that area.
Of course, everyone can believe this or not.

[/quote]

...under water because global warming since the last ice age has inundated the location.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:6, topic:315547"]
Pretty sure a place cannot go extinct, just species can. Or ideas, I suppose.

So, what happened to the angel with the flaming sword?

[/quote]

I meant the garden. The location now is hidden under Iraqi sand.

You don't see angels unless they want to be seen.

ICXC NIKA

I just want to point out that there is no Church teaching to back up any location on Earth for the Garden of Eden. I don’t think the Church forbids people to believe as they wish, however.

I think Mark Twain taught it was in upstate New York.

Independence Missouri??? I mean, it’s a nice little town and all, but c’mon. :stuck_out_tongue: And I thought Mormon theology didn’t get any wackier than God used to be a man and now lives on another planet…:wink:

In Christ,
Ellen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.