What happened to the souls in Sheol when Jesus defeated death

I am wondering what happened to those souls that were in Sheol at the time of Christ’s conquering over death. Specifically those souls that would not seem to have any chance of making it Heaven based on what has been revealed to us.

Was there a Judgement at this time? Would some go to Purgatory and others go straight to hell, especially since they would not have been privy to full Revelation that we have been given?

Just a thought that popped in there, thanks to any who can give me a bit of insight or maybe just a different perspective.

A Compeccator.

The Symbolum Apostolorum, or Apostle’s Creed, affirms:

crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus, descendit ad inferos, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis, ascendit ad caelos

He was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven

His “descent to the death” was so that His words may be fulfilled: “a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.”

On this matter, the Church teaches us:

he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there …] Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, “hell” - Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God. Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into “Abraham’s bosom”: “It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham’s bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell.” Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.

“The gospel was preached even to the dead.” (1 Peter 4:6) The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus’ messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ’s redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.

Henceforth the risen Christ holds “the keys of Death and Hades” (Revelation 1:18), so that “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.” (Philippians 2:10)

As far as I’m concerned (and kind of confirmed by Wikipedia, if that’s reliable), the concept of Sheol is of an afterlife for all men in which they’re “cut off” from God, so let’s just call the place to our warming Hell. :smiley:

As far as I know (and as hinted in the Apostles’ Creed as well), Jesus descended into Hell after He died, and remained there until He resurrected. While at it, he brought the righteous men of the people of Israel (Abraham and the descendants that were just and obeyed the Covenant, waiting for the Messiah for their salvation) and took them to Heaven, or at least prepared them to do so once He resurrected from the dead, bringing them back to the communion with the Lord. He was already crucified for the atonement of their deaths and sins, so I see no obstacle in saying they went instantly to Heaven, but if someone has a better understanding on this, feel free to correct. :thumbsup:

As for the not-so-righteous men, they supposedly remained there, either dead and awaiting resurrection in order to be judged, or consciously awake for their eternity or until the Final Judgement comes for their own salvation. I mean, some are enjoying their communion with God in Heaven, and may not need judgement as they are already saved, so the Final Judgement is more directed towards this group (and whoelse that became part of it for the last 2,000 years as well). As for Purgatory… Heck, they were waiting for Jesus to come for quite some time now, I guess they wouldn’t need much more clanliness to finally meet their Creator but hey, that’s just me… :shrug:

Those who rejected Him did not remain in the limbus patrum :o They plummeted all the way down to where they want to be, the state of hell. Nobody is “saved” who rejected Christ in life or in His descent to the death before the Resurrection.

And the state of purgatory is a state in which the baptized who are saved find themselves in need of greater purification, as far as I know, thus it refers solely to those souls, not to anyone who died before Christ came.

Sheol had 2 sections, the pit of the damned, and Abraham’s Bosom. Abraham’s Bosom was where those who died in God’s favor were, the heaven before heaven was opened if you will. Those who died out of God’s favor were in the pit. This is the same pit that we understand today as Hell. When Christ died, he descended into Sheol into Abraham’s Bosom to preach to the souls there and brought them to heaven upon his resurrection. These are the souls that were seen walking around when Christ returned to earth from Sheol.

Hope this helps

I believe that all of us have an innate sense of right and wrong because we are spiritrually created in the image of God and all are obligated to live good lives regardless of when they came into being… That is to say that at the final judgement anyone who lived an evil life won’t be able avail themselves of the “I didn’t know defense” Not that there is any defence against truth. Cain new he had done wrong when he killed Abel and hid from God. He knew murder was wrong long before God gave Moses the Ten Commandments!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.