What happens after we die?

I have been hearing many theories on what happens to us when we die. Here are a few:

1. After we die, our Souls go to God and we are judged. One of 3 things will happen: Heaven, Hell or Purgatory.
  2. Our bodies are re-united with our Souls on the 2nd coming of Christ.
  3. At Judgement day, we have 1 last chance to repent. Either choose and accept God as your Lord and savior or reject him. If you accept him, you will go to heaven. If you reject him, you will go to hell. (I have a problem with this one.)

What is the Catholic teaching???

Catholic teaching is 1. But, as I’ve said before elsewhere when this question was posed, there’s only one surefire way to find out…& I don’t recomend it.

[quote=CatMan]I have been hearing many theories on what happens to us when we die. Here are a few:

1. After we die, our Souls go to God and we are judged. One of 3 things will happen: Heaven, Hell or Purgatory.
  3. At Judgement day, we have 1 last chance to repent. Either choose and accept God as your Lord and savior or reject him. If you accept him, you will go to heaven. If you reject him, you will go to hell. (I have a problem with this one.)

[/quote]

It is closest to 1. Purgatory leads to heaven, so it is not a third choice.

[quote=CatMan]I have been hearing many theories on what happens to us when we die. Here are a few:

[/quote]

Whoa, I think you should rethink your options here. Because these will happen in different circumstances and times.
However, I believe that what happens to us after the soul seperates from the body will depend on the person and status of their soul, whether it is in sanctifying grace or not. This is what the Catechism says:
**THE PARTICULAR JUDGMENT **

1021 Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ.592 The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. The parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul–a destiny which can be different for some and for others.593 1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification594 or immediately,595 – or immediate and everlasting damnation.596
As for Judgement Day, I always believe it would be too late if you decide your position on that day. Because whole notion of Judgment Day is justice. All a lot of sinful people will be caught off guard.

Both 1 and 2.

Allow me to expand upon a previous post of mine:

When we die our souls are immediately judged in what is called the Particular Judgement. At that time we will find out where we will be spending eternity --either heaven or hell. If our eternity is to be in hell, our soul goes immediately there. If heaven, our soul may go straight there or, if in need of “cleansing” first, spend an undetermined amount of time in Purgatory, after which it would go to heaven (everyone in Purgatory is already saved. It is not a “second chance” or extra punishment for sins already forgiven).

At the end of time at Christ’s Second Coming, there will be a final, or General, Judgment. All the souls that have ever lived will be reunited with their bodies and stand before Christ to have their previous Particular Judgment reaffirmed. All the good and bad in their lives will be revealed to all so that the justice and mercy of God will be plain to all (Matt 25:31-46; Rev 20:11-15). Then all will go to their final destination for eternity, either heaven for eternal bliss and beatitude with God (Rev 21ff), or to hell.

For more information see the links below:

The Four Last Things Parts 1-4
rosary-center.org/ntrll.htm

Purgatory
catholic.com/library/Purgatory.asp

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.