What happens if you break fast on Good Friday?

My parents say they can’t stand being hungry and said they’ll have lunch AND dinner. Are they void of anything at the Easter Vigil on Saturday?

Depends on their age. If they are 60 or older, I do not believe the fasting rules apply.

If they are below 60, then they would have to go to confession or not receive.

They are in their early 50’s.

… which is the *point *of fasting. You aren’t supposed to like it.

Sinning is always our own free choice. They have a choice to make-- I hope they will choose the right thing.

If they willfully refuse to fast, then they should refrain from the Eucharist until they go to Confession.

I’m not trying to be smart, I’m asking because I don’t know. Is it really a mortal sin to break fast on Good Friday? Is it absolutely required?

There is also the problem of deliberately sinning (mortal) with the intention of going to confession to ‘fix’ it. This is the sin of presumption and absolution may be denied.

Yes, it is a mortal sin because the Church has declared it ‘binding under pain of sin’ in its power to bind and to loose. As Catholics, we are called to obedience. Refusing to fast or to abstain when required by the Church is the sin of disobedience.

The rules for fasting are 1 normal meal and 2 lighter meals. They should be able to reduce the amount of lunch they eat to comply.

Fasting is restricting eating to one full meal and two lighter meals in the course of a single day, and prohibits eating between meals. Adults who have not yet reached their sixtieth year are bound by the Canon Law to fast. Pregnant women and people who are sick are not obligated to fast.
Abstinence is refraining from eating meat. People who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the Canon Law to abstain.
Anyone who feels that they cannot fulfill the law of abstinence or the law of fasting should consult a parish priest or confessor.

easterbrooks.com/personal/calendar/rules.html

I didn’t realize it was an absolute requirement by the church under penalty of mortal sin. Which is why I asked.

There are only two days out of the entire year when the church requires fasting and abstinence – Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. That doesn’t strike me as asking too much.

I didn’t say it was. I just asked about it, that’s all. Which is why I wrote in my first post:

I’m not trying to be smart, I’m asking because I don’t know.

Because I knew someone was going to take offense to it no matter how I asked.

I didn’t take offense and I’m sorry that I came across that way. I stated a fact – that there were two days of fasting – and gave an opinion – that it didn’t seem excessive.

Well said. Compared to the suffering Christ endured for our Salvation, it is asking very little.

:signofcross:

Lord, if it be Thy Will, I will bear my pains, my sufferings. If it be Thy Will, increase them tenfold to secure deliverence from Purgatory, a single soul to life everlasting.
Amen

I myself am 16 years old. Does the fast apply to me?

I don’t know if I would say that it is a mortal sin to break the fast. Venial, likely. But just how “serious” is the matter? Well, it carries a certain weight. But the gravity may be relative.

You are allowed to take one full meal on a day of fast. You may have two other smaller meals (which ought not equal the larger one.) So it isn’t like one has to starve. This ought to be manageable if you balance your eating habits well. It’s all about discretion, however you look at it.

So, if you’re just absolutely disregarding the directives knowingly and willingly without care or effort to make due as best one can, then perhaps there is a mortal nature to the sin. But if one is doing one’s best to fast in a reasonable manner, then there may not even be sin at all.

14 for abstinence from meat, 18 - 59 for fasting, as I recall.

Considering the NCAA tournament, I was wondering what happens if you fast break on Good Friday.

Bear in mind that in order for anything to be a mortal sin you must first be aware that it has been declared by the Church to be gravely sinful.

Your parents may not be aware that breaking the laws of fast and abstinence has been declared to be gravely sinful, a lot of Catholics aren’t - as you weren’t either. They think it’s just a custom or a venial sin at most.

So very likely your parents aren’t in a state of mortal sin. But it is something you need to bring to their attention. Bear in mind they are adults with minds of their own though, so if you’ve brought it clearly to their attention and they persist, then you are in no way at fault or responsible.

Short form: **You **don’t have to fast if you are not yet a legal adult. Your parents do not have to skip meals to fast, just make sure that the “little” meals are not equal to the one BIG meal (whichever meal they have chosen). No eating between meals, but they can drink all they want. No meat today, which is abstinence. You are ALL bound to abstain.

This is no big deal. Why complicate it? Mom and Dad do not have to give up lunch and dinner. They just have to watch what they eat- you do not have to watch what you eat (except the meat thing) and you certainly should not watch what they eat.

Now, Sonny, MYOB and pass the perch!:wink:

“Considering” the NCAA tournament? What does that have to do with anything? It doesn’t. Fasting is a requirement.

Well I guess they wont be winning any Catholic of the year awards.

In reality I question if such people take their faith very seriously.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.