What happens if you die as a martyr but are in a state of mortal sin?

Hello,

I had a thought. You die as a martyr but are in a state of mortal sin at the time of your death. As far as I undertstand, it is tradition that martyrs go to heaven…directly if what I recall is correct…so what happens of you are a martyr…and in grave sin…Those who are martyrs go to heaven…those who have unrepented sins on their soul that they committed deliberately with full consent cannot…so what happens to the soul of such a martyr…

I thought that the courage to die a martyr would have to be a great grace…and if you are in grave in then you are not in a state of grace…so maybe you would not hve the courage or grace to die a martyrs death if you were in a state of grave sin…

any comments or solutions…
thanks,
Katherine :thumbsup:

“Chairtiy covereth a multitude sins.”

I think someone who voluntarily gives his/her life for Christ is, in that act, showing repentance for sin, and is forgiven all sins.

To put it another way, if you die a martyr, you can’t at that moment be in a state of mortal sin. (I speak under correction here, from anyone who knows enough theology: but I’m confident of my answer…martyrs are forgiven all their sins.)

CCC:
**2473 ***Martyrdom *is the supreme witness given to the truth of the faith: it means bearing witness even unto death. The martyr bears witness to Christ who died and rose, to whom he is united by charity. He bears witness to the truth of the faith and of Christian doctrine. He endures death through an act of fortitude. “Let me become the food of the beasts, through whom it will be given me to reach God.”

I believe if they were truly giving ‘witness’ (root word in Greek is martyr), they would be ok. Our God is merciful and just.

God Bless,
RyanL

Good chance you will be a martyr in hell. :eek: God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Good chance you will be a martyr in hell. :eek: God Bless
[/quote]

I am glad you have confined God to your views and do not allow Him to Judge.

[quote=Jn 15:12-15]This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
[/quote]

We are called to emulate Christ and martyrdom is the ultimate emulation of the Lord. If you are killed for the sake of God and for your beliefs, there’s no doubt in my mind that the Lord would forgive that person of all sin.

CCC 1861
Mortal sin is a radical possibility of human freedom, as is love itself. It results in the loss of charity and the privation of sanctifying grace, that is, of the state of grace. If it is not redeemed by repentance and God’s forgiveness, it causes exclusion from Christ’s kingdom and the eternal death of hell, for our freedom has the power to make choices for ever, with no turning back. However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God.

[quote=PureGrace]Hello,

I had a thought. You die as a martyr but are in a state of mortal sin at the time of your death. As far as I undertstand, it is tradition that martyrs go to heaven…directly if what I recall is correct…so what happens of you are a martyr…and in grave sin…Those who are martyrs go to heaven…those who have unrepented sins on their soul that they committed deliberately with full consent cannot…so what happens to the soul of such a martyr…

I thought that the courage to die a martyr would have to be a great grace…
[/quote]

Exactly :slight_smile:

and if you are in grave in then you are not in a state of grace…so maybe you would not hve the courage or grace to die a martyrs death if you were in a state of grave sin…

any comments or solutions…
thanks,
Katherine :thumbsup:

Martyrdom seems to imply a radical detachment from whatever got one into mortal (?) sin in the first place. “Baptism of blood” was considered to be a replacement for Baptism for pagans who confessed Christ and suffered death for Him without having been baptised in water - martyrdom would presumably be as real for a Christian in grave sin, in a rather similar way: he would cease to be in grave sin.

One *assumes *that by “grave” you mean “mortal” - one can have lesser and graver venial and mortal sins: for though all mortal sin is deadly, not all is equally grave in deadliness.

Correct answer IMHO - God knows :smiley: ##

A perfect act of contrition will suffice if one is inable to get to confession and dies before he does get to confession.

If one does commit a mortal sin (say entertaining thoughts of suicide while being held hostage for being a Catholic), and then when killed for his faith has a change of heart, has made an act of contrition, and is then willing to die for the faith, I would say Christ would forgive him.

In Christ.

[quote=PureGrace]Hello,
I had a thought. You die as a martyr but are in a state of mortal sin at the time of your death. As far as I undertstand, it is tradition that martyrs go to heaven…directly if what I recall is correct…so what happens of you are a martyr…and in grave sin…
[/quote]

As long as you weren’t committing a grave sin as your act of martyrdom as some of our Islamic brethren believe you are entitled to do (i.e. suicide bombers ) then IMHO, Christ’s mercy has the power to forgive the mortal sin and restore your grace. Salvation isn’t a formula. There are guidelines we follow, but ultimately, thankfully, Christ has the last word on our judgement before God.

Purgatory!

Because it is an act of perfect love it is cause for the total remission of sins…thats how I understand it…

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.