What happens in this situation?

A friend asked me this question and I could not answer it, so I thought to submit it here.

When the Holy Father accepts a Bishop’s Resignation, who takes over in running the dicoese until the next Bishop can be appointed by the Holy Father?

A vacant see is governed by an administrator, who is either elected by the College of Consultors of the diocese or, if necessary, appointed by the provincial metropolitan or the Holy See. See these canons of the Code of Canon Law.

I believe it is customarily the case, however, that in the routine cases when a bishop resigns due to the age limit (75), his resignation is not made effective until the new bishop is appointed and thus there is no interregnum.

I think an administrator, just like if they suddenly pass away. Or whatever happens when the pope dies, someone is temporarily in charge (I think?) until the next pope is elected.

More than one someone. The CoC, ims, convenes a body of administrators to take charge during a papal interregnum.

Anybody have solid recollections of SCV activities during the last interregnum (2005)?

ICXC NIKA

This ^^.

My Bishop will be turing 75 in a few weeks.
His resignation must be postmarked by that day.
He will still be Bishop until the new Bishop arrives.

The Bishop remains the Ordinary of his diocese until his resignation is accepted by the Holy Father. At that point, the Bishop may be appointed the Apostolic Administrator until his successor is installed.

It is also possible that the Holy Father won’t assign him this role. If that happens, the college of consultors meets and elects an administrator until the new Bishop is installed.

When your bishop turns 75 he will submit his letter of resignation to the Holy Father, who can accept it immediately or at some later time.

Unless the Holy Father had previously appointed a bishop coadjutor, in which case there would be no sede vacante.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.