What happens to aborted babies?

Where do aborted babies go?

I assume you mean the souls of aborted babies. We don’t really know because God has not revealed that to the Church. Theologians puzzled over it for centuries and came up with the idea of limbo–a state of natural happiness in which they would not be granted the beatific vision. However, this was never declared by the Church as a doctrine or dogma.

Although the Church has made no formal pronouncement on the subject, it is generally believed that their souls rest in the mercy of God. Some have suggested that aborted babies are martyrs, but unless it is clear that a child was aborted to deliberately deny the teaching of the Church that no human life ought to be deliberately ended from conception to natural death (excepting those circumstances in which killing is not considered as murder), martyrdom cannot be ascertained.

Yes, I ment what happened to their souls. Sorry for being vage.

We entrust their souls to God’s mercy.

Strictly speaking theologically, they should go to hell, right, because of the stain of original sin?

Norbert,

Why would the stain of original sin send someone straight to hell? The stain of original sin marks us wit concupiscience (sp) the ‘desire’ to sin or perhaps better to fall into ‘temptation’ to sin (I know there is a classic definition but I am at work…). I do not believe that the ‘stain of original sin’ is the same as a mortal sin. For a sin to be personal it must be made knowingly and deliberately. For a sin to be mortal, it must be personal, knowingly, deliberately and of sufficient seriousness to separate us completely from God.

The original sin did not separate mankind from God so the stain cannot either. God’s covenant is forever! We can sever it ‘personally’ but God’s love is faithfull til the end. And we trust in the mercy of a loving God, Father, Son & Holy Spirit to do justice and love for the Holy Innocents lost to abortion.

Pax Christe

[quote=norbert]Strictly speaking theologically, they should go to hell, right, because of the stain of original sin?
[/quote]

The stain of Original sin does indeed seperate us from God, and Salvation. But we must remember that there are Baptisms other than the normal “water” Baptism that we are all familiar with. There is Baptism of Desire as well as of Blood (martyrdom) Wether infants who die previous to birth fall under either of these is speculation. It is, as was stated above, the Catholic position that we leave it up to the Mercy of God.

Original Sin:
newadvent.org/cathen/11312a.htm

Baptism:
newadvent.org/cathen/02258b.htm

Limbo:
newadvent.org/cathen/09256a.htm

From Baptism Link above:
The fate of infants who die without baptism must be briefly considered here. The Catholic teaching is uncompromising on this point, that all who depart this life without baptism, be it of water, or blood, or desire, are perpetually excluded from the vision of God. This teaching is grounded, as we have seen, on Scripture and tradition, and the decrees of the Church. Moreover, that those who die in original sin, without ever having contracted any actual sin, are deprived of the happiness of heaven is stated explicitly in the Confession of Faith of the Eastern Emperor Michael Palæologus, which had been proposed to him by Pope Clement IV in 1267, and which he accepted in the presence of Gregory X at the Second Council of Lyons in 1274. The same doctrine is found also in the Decree of Union of the Greeks, in the Bull “Lætentur Caeli” of Pope Eugene IV, in the Profession of Faith prescribed for the Greeks by Pope Gregory XIII, and in that authorized for the Orientals by Urban VIII and Benedict XIV. Many Catholic theologians have declared that infants dying without baptism are excluded from the beatific vision; but as to the exact state of these souls in the next world they are not agreed.

[quote=norbert]Strictly speaking theologically, they should go to hell, right, because of the stain of original sin?
[/quote]

Norbert, since you have condoned abortions and embryonic stem cells I am really even more disturbed at your assertion!:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.