What happens to our marriage after death?

I have been raised in a faith tradition that places a lot of emphasis on a strong marriage. As I have studied the Catholic faith, I have come to realize that Jesus made it clear that marriage will not continue in heaven. What is the Catholic teaching on the relationship with our spouse in heaven?

A priest has told me, that everybody will have a “spousal” relationship with GOD Himself (however that happens). Also, that because the generational cycle comes to an end, marriages do not survive death.

well in Heaven your not married the ive read that in the Bible

Marrige betweem and man and woman is intended for the living and the vows are “until death do us part.” Unpon death, marriage and the things of this world cease to be. For it is written:

"Some Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him and put this question to him, saying, "Teacher, Moses wrote for us, ‘If someone’s brother dies, leaving a wife but no child, his brother must take the wife and raise up descendants for his brother.’

Now there were seven brothers. The first married a woman and died, leaving no descendants. So the second married her and died, leaving no descendants, and the third likewise. And the seven left no descendants. Last of all the woman also died. At the resurrection (when they arise) whose wife will she be? For all seven had been married to her."

Jesus said to them, “Are you not misled because you do not know the scriptures or the power of God? When they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but they are like the angels in heaven. As for the dead being raised, have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God told him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, (the) God of Isaac, and (the) God of Jacob’? He is not God of the dead but of the living. You are greatly misled.” Mark 12:18-27

I realize that this topic disturbs a great many people, but I have always thought of it like this. Since everything is perfected in heaven, our love for God, the angels, and ALL those in heaven will be so much greater than anything we can experience on earth, that it will be as if ALL of our relationships have been elevated to an even higher level. Marriage will no longer serve a purpose because we will experience complete, ultimate, perfect, non-jealous love for everyone and everything.

I would guess that you will still be close to your wife and the rest of your family in Heaven, if you all go there, and will continue to love them, but in much better circumstances and in a direct relationship with God. and you’ll be in communion with all the angels and all the saints, as well as those still on Earth. If I end up there, I plan to be actively interceding on behalf of my grandkids and my (hopefully) many descendants, and the descendants of all my friends. It’s not like you’ll be separated from your wife or anything. If you did remain “married” in heaven, it could lead to problems for those who remarried after the death of their first spouse - would you have two wives in Heaven?

Just my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I am trying to understand more about this subject and I am wondering if anyone is aware of any teaching, encyclical, book, etc. that touches on this from a Catholic perspective.

Thanks

No, you would not have two wives in Heaven. As Jesus said, “they neither marry nor are given in marriage.”

Sometimes people talk about heaven as if they can pull out a road map and drive there or something. Heaven is NOT a physical place, but a state of being. In fact, just today, our Holy Father said, “Heaven is not a location in the cosmos, but a place within God where those who believe in him will enjoy his love forever.”

Heaven consists primarily in the Beatific Vision, which is a union with God. Therefore, things of this earth – like marriage and the rest of your family simply won’t matter.

Karl Keating has written on the subject.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.