What happens to scripture after the resurrection?

Kind of a daft question of no relevance to anything in particular, but hey ho, it just popped in to my mind. After the resurrection of the dead in the new creation will the Holy Bible still exist, will the saved know what it was/still is?

How can anyone here possibly know that?

One might guess that the paper pages which are compiled into the “Bible” would no longer be necessary because “we shall see clearly…see God face to face…” (cf. 1Cor 13:12) and simply know.
However, the Word of God (part of which/Whom is written in the Bible) will ALWAYS exist.

Since we will either have preserved our human minds (spiritually) or regained them (via the resurrection of the head), :slight_smile: I’d imagine that the Bible could be recovered from everybody’s favorite memorized verses.

Kind of like the climax of “The Book of Eli.” :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

The question is already settled in the Bible. Is.40:8 “The grass withereth,the flower fadeth,but the word of our God shall stand for ever.” However there is more scripture in heaven. The 22nd chapter of John is there.

The resurrection of the body is the last day. The Holy Bible is the Word of God. Matthew 24:35 “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.” Of course, it is not speaking about the physical aspect of the Bible made of leather and paper.

Since we will still have our minds, our understanding of Scripture will still be there, no doubt, but Scripture itself as a source of belief, teaching and worship will no longer be needed, i.e. will have no need for books, scholarship, interpretation. Instead, our understanding will be illuminated by the Word himself, who is both the Author and the Object of our faith, which includes Scripture.

I think some of us will be still be studying scripture going deeper and deeper into the mystery and heart of it. God’s word is never obsolete. And we will always be able to learn more about an infinite God.

This reminds me what a funny joke by Peter Kreeft. The abstract scholar is the one who after dying and faced with a choice between heaven or going to a lecture on what heaven is like will choose the lecture.

Ah but who would give the lecture? :wink:

You could have some great theological discussions and talks in heaven with all the great minds up there, just from the ones we know of (canonised saints).

Ah but who would give the lecture?

I hope to be head to head with our LORD :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

My plan - meet Abraham, ask Noah all about the ark , admire the Ark of the covenant, and wait patiently in line to meet St Michael, Mother Mary and the Trinity.

All with questions from the bible like ’ what did that mean? How was that achieved?

My burning question atm is ’ how many people were converted from those days of the first Easter who were witness to the Crucifixion and events leading to it.

To be provocative, I tell people that I long to be where there is no faith, no hope and no bible. Good grief! Where is that? Must be horrible!

Heaven.

Seriously, Saint Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 13:8-13:

“Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect; 10 but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood. 13 So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.”

The bible is imperfect. Christ is perfect.

Good question.

:hmmm:

It was. I was one of a group of people who showed up for an evening Mass on New Year’s Day, which was published in our respective church bulletins (this was to be the usual sunday evening “city” mass), but the church was dark, the doors were locked, and there was wailing and gnashing of teeth in the cold darkness. I had that sense of being locked up, in hell. (what we had there was a failure to communicate)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.