What happens to the host after it is eaten?

What happens after the host is digested? Is it still the body of christ while it is being digested?

THe moment the Accidents of bread and wine chemically break down so they no longer RESEMBLE bread and wine, Christ is absent. so you got about 15 minutes after communion.

And yes, therefore you don’t…ahem, you know.

:rotfl: I LOL’d… please forgive me Lord… but that was funny.

Paul

The same thing that happens to anything else that is digested.

This is my understanding of what happens to Jesus’ Body and Blood also.

The way I understand it is “we become what we eat.”
In other words, when we consume Jesus’ Living Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity our very cells become living organisms of His cells. The same way anything that we eat becomes the structure for our cells.
So when we consum His Flesh and Divinity He transforms us into His Image and Likeness of Himself through Himself and in doing this He heals all our wounds from sin. We have to work with Him by just letting Him and following Him and completely surrender to Him in order for Him to work this Mystery in us.

I have found Him to be so coaxing in He desire to do this for me.
How He so desires to heal us from our wounds so that He can transform us into His image and likeness. How He so desires for us to work with Him so that this new creation that He desires to transform us into happens.

I find His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity to be the only soothing and healing solvent to all the wounds of sin that I have inflicted upon myself.
I have also found that the more I let Him heal me and transform me the greater my desire and efforts to stop inflicting these wounds upon myself becomes and the more virtuous and charitable and loving I want to be and how the desire to make the effort to be this way becomes so great that I can not help but be more virtuous, loving, compassionate and charitable.

I have found that only He can dispel the suffocating eclipse of fear and darkness that we live in from sin for only He can heal us and save us from it.

I have found that my strength is His strength and I am nothing without Him.
He is like the medication that I need or the addiction I have and that I can not live without.

Love this!!! :thumbsup:

This is a wondeful post! God bless you & thank you for sharing this!:slight_smile:

Is it fair to say, then, that in the same way that the “unneccessary” or “nonessential” parts of our ordinary food are eliminated from our bodies-- the undigestible parts of corn, tomatoes or peppers, their skins, for instance-- while the essential nutrients like vitamins are absorbed to become part of us… the same happens with the Accidents of the bread and wine? They’re eliminated as “unneccessary” while the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ are taken in to us… the actual Food? Those are after all, what truly nourishes us in the Eucharist.

Does that make sense, or am I rambling “pre-coffee”?

-In earnest,

~Spoken4

*Dear Spoken,

I have never been able to wrap my brain around the concept of “accidents.”

Personally, I have never found any part of Jesus to be “unnecessary” or “nonessential.”
To me every bit of what to the naked eye looks like bread and wine or wafer is in fact Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

I never did try to dissect it. It has always been a Mystery to me and I just accepted it. For some reason I love mysteries.

But I would guess that if our heart, mind and soul ever decided that any part of Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul or Divinity was “unnecessary” or “nonessential” even if they are considered “accidents” that we would discard them.

I don’t know if that helps answer your question at all. Hopefully I did not just add more confusion.

Here is my understanding :slight_smile:

the Host is completely, 100% Jesus’ Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity. It is His substantially and physically, even though it LOOKS like bread and wine… the bread and wine do not exist.

When we receive Jesus in the Eucharist, we receive Him physically, not only spiritually, into ourselves. That is really quite awesome. I love praying to Him after Communion because we can pray to Him in the Eucharist, inside of us (I think). :slight_smile: He also gives us many graces - we just need to be aware of Him and open up to Him.

Jesus is physically present in the Eucharist for around 15 minutes or so… (which is why we really shouldn’t eat right after Mass, but spend that time in prayer). Afterwards, the Host becomes bread, but Jesus continues to be with us spiritually.

Its good to beleive, sometimes we should just take a leap of faith. God wants us to beleive with a child like faith, a faith that beleives through our hearts without proofs. The term accidents is man trying to explain the mystery through our limited grasp of knowledge, you could look at it as a vanity, a mystery is meant for us to beleive not to dissect and explain. That is the reason behind the term accident, it basically means the host becomes Jesus, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinty what we see as the host is in reality inexistant in substance as it now is Jesus, it is not part of the whole not a container for Him. Its easier to just look at it as you were taught as a child receiving first communion, you are receiving God, The bread ceases to exist.

ed

*Dear Ed,
Welcome the forums.
Thank you for clarifying this term…

Oh The Bread of Angels…

*Dear Monica,

I like your understanding but I wonder about the part I emphasized.
I believe that the bread and wine truly is the Body and Blood of Jesus and that we truly do need to absorb His Flesh into our flesh so that we do truly become Christ-like. Physically and Spiritually. If we allow God to work this mystery in us and we truly do work with Him. I believe it will be as St. Paul says, “It is no longer I who lives in me, but Christ who lives in me.” Then I believe Jesus’ physical presence will never leave us.
The more we work with Him the more this transformation or new creation happens.

I hope and pray that makes some sense,

Hi Simple Soul :slight_smile:

I am not completely sure… it could be that we are both right on this… I’ve been taught that the Host is entirely Jesus, but after some time after Communion, it returns back to bread. As for where Jesus goes, well I am sure that He remains with us :slight_smile: in which way, I cannot tell. In any case, it is true that His Body and Blood nourishes our souls and bodies in a very special way and imparts to us much grace and eternal life.

God bless :slight_smile:

I would caution that theologians might have a problem with the statement that Jesus is “Physically” present. This is really splitting hairs but if two theologians were discussing the sacrament, they would probably not use that term.

Msgr Charles Pope over at blog.adw.org put it this way (in the comment section)…

***In the end I want you to know that Jesus is really, truly, and actually present in the Eucharist and that you actually and literally receive him in the Eucharist.

That theologians are reticent to use the term “physical” is only because “physical,” at least as literally understood, would require the host to weigh about 210 lbs (or what ever Christ weighs) and have body parts etc., further that he could only be in one place at a time. As it is Christ is actually present in the host but in a sacramental way wherein we truly receive him but in way that the species of bread and wine (i.e. what we see, touch and taste) remains. We also receive the whole Christ, Body, blood, soul and divinity, not just a part of him. But please understand, sacramental presence is a REAL and true presence, no less real than a strictly physical presence.*** I’m not a theologian and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express but it seems to me, just my own thoughts here, that “Sacramentally” present is actually present but in a way that transcends even being physically present - able to be in two place at one time and able to be in two times at one place for that matter. Being actually present but not changing the observable physical characteristics of the matter which has in fact been replaced.

Could it be that it is the sacramental presence that stays with us? I really don’t know and would love to hear a theologian speak about it.

Again, for us laity it’s splitting hairs. Just thought I’d throw it out there.

-Tim-

My grandmother put it like this. Every “accident” has a subject to which it refers. The appearance of wine, it’s accident, refers to its subject, the wine itself.

In the Eucharist, the accidents of bread and wine no longer have any subject! The reality of the bread and wine ceases to exist.

it is estimated that the host dissolves with in 15 minutes, then He remains in our hearts

I like this explanation :slight_smile:

Tim, I see what you mean here… I think maybe “substantially” is a better term, theologically :slight_smile: as in - Christ is present in the substance (rather than the accidents). However since many people don’t know about transubstantiation, I tend to use “physically” in everyday conversation. I can see how this is not totally accurate though. Maybe we could say that… Christ is present physically but not materially (which is the accidents)? or… substantially? lol this is kind of confusing :slight_smile: what i’m trying to say is that He’s not just present spiritually, it really is His Body and Blood (Soul and Divinity), but of course it’s His risen Body which is not subject to natural laws… so He can be present in different places at once (or rather: we participate in Heavenly worship and at Calvary when we’re at Mass… so it’s more like we go to meet Him, where He is physically - in Heaven).

what I’m getting at here is that God is everywhere spiritually… but Christ’s Body is not everywhere, only in Heaven and the Eucharist.

Maybe we lack words for this :slight_smile:

In my understanding, the Sacramental presence lasts ~15 minutes, whereas the spiritual presence endures

God bless

*Hi Monica,

We could be saying the same thing, I am not sure as well…
How I understand it is Jesus remains with us as long as we are willing to let Him be there. It is our sinful nature that is always pushing Him away. We tend to be very stubborn and at times it seems that no matter how hard I try to be Christ like I always fail at it miserably.
Because only He can heal our sinful nature and because our strength to fight our human nature comes from Him only is why I believe we need to keep receiving Him until we die.
It is like He is the fuel for our soul. He heals us and strengthens us. If we stop receiving Him then I believe we stop letting Him work in us and we stop working with Him to transform us into the Christ like image of Himself that we are created to be.

Does that make sense or sound correct?

S.S. How are you? I love this Post.:slight_smile:

Isn’t the Eucharist just symbolic though? Yes, it becomes the body and blood of Christ, symbolically. I’m sure its still 100% bread and wine. physically anyways.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.