What happens to the soul of an aborted baby?

I lost my connection a couple times so I'm assuming my previolus attempts to ask this question have not already been posted to you.

This question is the topic of an ongoing discussion right now. The responders, some sounding quite knowledgeable, are more or less imparting answers that tend to give one hope that maybe the innocent child's destiny is not so bad.

I think only someone steeped in church teachings should answer this. As far as I know, the only true answer is "We don't know."

The harm I see in the rosy picture scenarios, if not true, is that potential mothers may abort instead, for perceived good reason, if they think they would be doing the unborn child a favor. (Severe birth defect, being raised badly, etc)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say: “Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,” allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church’s call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

Perhaps the best way to answer the question is what the International Theological Commission had to say in its address The hope of salvation for infants who die without being baptized:

The conclusion of this study is that there are theological and liturgical reasons to hope that infants who die without baptism may be saved and brought into eternal happiness, even if there is not an explicit teaching on this question found in Revelation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.