What happens to your Guardian Angel when you die?

What happens to your Guardian Angel when you die?

Does he go with you to Heaven and show you around? :dancing::wink:

Does he wait for you outside Purgatory :rolleyes:

(I better skip the Hell option :eek: )

Does God send him to be Guardian Angel of someone else? :wave:

Does anyone know?

Alma

This may help you: newadvent.org/cathen/07049c.htm

In short, there has been much discussion and suggestions, but no clear teaching about the specifics of guardian angels.

Jesus’ words “their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father” suggest that these angels dwell in heaven, do not depart from heaven in carrying out their earthly mission, and will no doubt remain with us when we get there (whether or not they are re-asigned). But again, it’s still not very clear, is it.

Found these:

theholyangels.wordpress.com/our-guardian-angels-after-death/

theholyangels.wordpress.com/our-guardian-angels-after-death/

There will be lots of opinions but neither Church nor we know the answer.

You are free to pass me off as crazy or lying but from what I have talked to my Gaurdian Angel about is that if you go to heaven you will be with that angel forever just like The Lord. If you are in Purgatory they will protect others until you are done. Every Angel choose a specific person to protect because that is the human whom they love the most.

I kind of agree since your Guardian Angel chooses you. And because they chose you and love you, they will want to be in heaven with you. It’s not like they are going to abandon you while you are being cleansed in Purgatory.

Where (if anywhere) is it stated that our Guardian Angel chose us? This is a beautiful image, but was wondering the source if there really is one.

Like I said I do did not get this from a source but this is what I have learned by talking to my Guardian Angel. Though I am sure there is a source or saint story that hints at this

Jimmy Akin suggests they go back to Central Casting :smiley:

It is pure speculation about angels choosing us. If such a thing was true it would be taught by the Church but it is not and we certainly do not know better than the Church.

I didn’t know it was official Church teaching that we actually have an angel assigned to us.:confused: I thought it more of a folk belief.

One common Catholic Guardian Angel prayer is the following:

Angel of God
My guardian dear
To Whom His love
Commits me here
Ever this day
Be at my side
To light and guard
To rule and guide.
Amen

I pray this everyday, and I didn’t even know it was Catholic until this year. It may be more of a child’s prayer, but I still think it’s suitable for an adult.

Not a Church teaching, just a belief. I would not consider it pagan. But based upon my experience and others’ experiences, it seems so. We could be wrong. But either way we all have a Guardian Angel.

You are correct in this but not even the Church has the answer to everything at any given moment as the Church is human but also divine. What I have learn is from something in heaven however this could be a mistake on my part.

However Hebrews 1:14 does shed some light on this subject.

"Are they not all ministering spirits, sent to minister for them, who shall receive the inheritance of salvation? "

Guardian angels are certainly not a folk belief, since Jesus speaks of them. Here is a short article about guardian angels.

But I wonder if perhaps we are being a bit too narcissistic in thinking that watching over just one human being is a full time job for an angel.

It is Church teaching that we have a guardian angel.

CCC 336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

And section 335: In her liturgy, the Church joins with the angels to adore the thrice-holy God. She invokes their assistance (in the funeral liturgy’s In Paradisum deducant te angeli. . .“May the angels lead you into Paradise. . .”]). Moreover, in the “Cherubic Hymn” of the Byzantine Liturgy, she celebrates the memory of certain angels more particularly (St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and the guardian angels).

Could be a bit of cross-pollination from the teachings of Avatar and various other older movies (more dragons than angels but close enough) :eek: .

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.