What happens to

I was just wondering. I know that some churches don’t require Baptism, feeling it is only sybolic, as well as
Churches deneying the trinity,
Christ was fully human (just divne)
reject confession
lapse from Catholisim
and a list that could go on forever really, What does the Catholic Church say happens to them?

Just two ultimate options.

hell - for those who ignored the truth

heaven - for those ignorant of the truth through no fault of their own, and who continued to strive for truth but never quite got there.

[quote=Montie Claunch]What does the Catholic Church say happens to them?
[/quote]

It depends. The Church recognizes something called “Invincible ignorance.” It’s a somewhat complicated concept (and only God can really sort it all out), but it essentially goes like this: If a person makes a sincere effort to live in accordince with his conscience then salvation is possible.

[quote=DavidFilmer]It depends. The Church recognizes something called “Invincible ignorance.” It’s a somewhat complicated concept (and only God can really sort it all out), but it essentially goes like this: If a person makes a sincere effort to live in accordince with his conscience then salvation is possible.
[/quote]

I would make a slight correction to this. I believe that Invincible ignorance is when someone makes a sincere effort to live in accordance to, and to seek out, the truth and THEN to live in accordance to his conscience as it has been formed by that truth. I know Catholics who live by their conscience, but they do so in a complacent way, making no effort to, for instance, understand why the church teaches the Sacrament of Reconcilliation because they “feel” it should be between them in God. In this case (and I’m giving a hypothetical, not casting judgement), the ignorace is chosen and not invincible and the conscience is misquided. In invincible ignorance, the person would have accepted the truth, but had not the resources nor the freedom to pursue it.

I would really stress that we leave it to God’s mercy to those who out of ignorance do not do what they are supposed to do. There are some who never have the chance to know the truth, “invincible ignorance”.

We don’t know the persons heart, but we should really stress that by not seeking truth, which everyone has a need for, they are putting themselves first. I know some who stay in their beliefs because of fear of having to change their lives for truth.

I personally would consider this similar to Jesus and the wealthy man, who ultimately left sad because he was attached to his possessions, much like some are attached to their way of life, so they wont even consider the truth. The wealthy man considered it, but wouldn’t follow the truth.
Mark 10:17-27

I do not damn anyone but will stress to them that it is very, very important for them to seek ultimate truth, because not seeking it is pretty dangerous, especially if someone told them it does exist.

God Bless
Scylla

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.