What happens when a Catholic converts to Mormonism?

Are they excommunicated? Does a Catholic have to renounce their religion? Does anyone know what the ramifications are?

A Catholic who formally joins another church puts himself in a state of apostasy. He incurrs automatic excommunication. However the indelible mark remains on the soul. A Catholic is a Catholic until the day he dies. But he may die outside of the Church.

So, if you are excommunicated from the Catholic church, can you participate in the communion part of the Catholic mass?

Eccommunicatos are prohibited from recieving commnuion. Excommunication puts you outside of the Church. You may attend mass in a state of excommunication, but you may not recieve the sacraments until it is lifted. I belive the proper phrase is: Extra ecclesium nulla salis. Outside the Church there is no salvation.

[quote=Affirmed]Eccommunicatos are prohibited from recieving commnuion. Excommunication puts you outside of the Church. You may attend mass in a state of excommunication, but you may not recieve the sacraments until it is lifted. I belive the proper phrase is: Extra ecclesium nulla salis. Outside the Church there is no salvation.
[/quote]

Sort of.

An Excommunicant may recieve the Sacrament of Reconcillation, if their intent is to confess their error and seek forgiveness. In fact, this is the whole point of Excommunicaiton. To encourage the lost sheep to seek forgiveness of their error.

The excommunicant may confess the Sin of Apostacy (which is a Sacrament). At that point, the excommunication is lifted and the lost sheep returns to the fold.

At that point they may recieve Communion.

(there is the exception of those rare offences that require an action by the Holy See, but even then, they might be removed in danger of death)

Brendan- Thanks. I should have been more specific. If an excommunicated person coudn’t recieve the sacrament of reocnciliation, they’d have no hope of having it lifted, would they?! :o :smiley:

[quote=Affirmed]A Catholic who formally joins another church puts himself in a state of apostasy…
[/quote]

Not necessarily.

[quote=CCC 2089]**2089 ***Incredulity *is the neglect of revealed truth or the willful refusal to assent to it. “*Heresy *is the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same; *apostasy *is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; *schism *is the refusal of submission to the Roman Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.”
[/quote]

Depending on what church he or she joined, he might only be putting himself into a state of schism or heresy, as most religions commonly recognized as Christian churches have not totally repudiated the Christian Faith. The Mormon concept of God or gods is sufficiently incompatible with Christianity, though, that in this case I think this might qualify as apostasy.

It was because the topic was a Mormon church that I said apostasy rather than schism or heresy. I suppose if one was to formally join, say, a Lutheran church that it would be different.

Thanks to all that have aided in enlightenment!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.