What happens when a Christian who converted to Islam reconverts back to Christianity?

I read an article in the newspaper yesterday about the problem of an actress/model here who was a Catholic but converted to Islam when she married a Muslim man from another country. Eventually, the marriage failed with accusation from the woman that she had been physically abused and maltreated.

At first, she fought for her children, but since she was under the Shar’ia law (I’m not sure if this is the right spelling) because they were both Muslims, the children were automatically was given to the husband—even if he maltreated their mother.

According to the lawyer, who was interviewed regarding her case, the woman reconverted to Catholicism thereby putting her under the Civil law of the land and not anymore Shar’ia law and thus, she regained custody of her children.

The article was in relation to problem another more famous actress (who also converted to Islam) is currently experiencing.

My question is, are there possible consequences if a Muslim convert leaves Islam and reconverts back to Christianity?

plenty of consequences inc death
it is very sad, there are lots of women who convert to please their husbands to be and don’t know what true Islam is
they also don’t realise how much power men have over women in Islam - we have seen the problems of men taking children off to Pakistan /AN Other Muslim Country after divorce in the UK many times
this is something we must warn women about

I wonder what country she was in. In most Muslim countries she would have automatically lost all rights to her children if she converted out of Islam.

In most Muslim countries the custody of chilren almost always goes to the husband.

When a Muslim leaves islam their marriage is automatically terminated as is any right to their children.

Under the syariah law, a muslim who leaves the faith can face the death penalty. It’s a big issue of contention around my region, and many families have been broken up because of overzealous enforcement of the law…

If the Christian who went apostate and became Muslim decides to come back to Christianity, the angels in heaven rejoice! :smiley:

I dont know if you are asking from a technical standpoint what they would need to do with the Church?

I think the first step would be repentance of this sin, if Catholic- a trip to the Confessional ASAP and a long talk with the Priest about the process (if any) to come back home! I wish I knew if there is more they would have to do other than confession.:o

I guess we should know, since from what I read most Americans who sign up for Islam tend to leave it in less than 5 years.

Thanks for your replies.

[quote="Hellisreal]If the Christian who went apostate and became Muslim decides to come back to Christianity, the angels in heaven rejoice!
[/quote]

It would be like finding a lost sheep and bringing it home. :slight_smile:

[quote=stephanut]Under the syariah law, a muslim who leaves the faith can face the death penalty.
[/quote]

I was wondering also if there is more leniency if a convert reconverts back to her own religion. Do they make a distinction between a convert and a Muslim from birth?–or do their laws on death penalty apply to all Muslims?

She’s Filipino and her husband is from middle east, according to the newspaper article. Here in the Philippines, the Shar’ia law is for Muslims and our civil law for non-Muslims.

When she brought back her children with her here in our country, the Shar’ia law applied to her because she was technically a Muslim. When she reconverted back to Catholicism, that was when the law for non-Muslims applied and she was able to get her children from her husband.

No offense intended for Muslims in this forum, but I really found the application of Shar’ia law in this case quite unfair to the woman considering she was already maltreated by her husband and their law intended for her to lose her children as well?

[quote=jack hawkins]we have seen the problems of men taking children off to Pakistan /AN Other Muslim Country after divorce in the UK many times
this is something we must warn women about
[/quote]

I agree with you.

The latest news regarding the second and more well-known actress here who is having marital problems with her Muslim spouse apparently for maltreatment (also) --her husband said that he wants his family back together (he intends to fetch her and her children here) and bring them back to his Muslim country and that it was okey for him if she converts back to Catholicism…and that he intends to teach his children how to pray.

The mother of this actress said that she will try to stop the plane if ever her daughter plans to return to her husband’s country. Its a bit dramatic, I know, but I understand where her mother is coming from. I would be scared too considering that they live in a far-away country.

I am wondering if in case she does give her marriage a second chance and it does not work out, will this actress will have a hard time getting her children back if ever she goes back to his Muslim country?

Could you cite that source? It would be very useful to have here at times. Thanks!

I think it was Christianity Today. I will check.:slight_smile:

1.This sort of thing is common knowlege, everyone knows how Mulisms behave especially towards women. As such I have no great sympathy for a plight she made for herself.
2.The RCC’s policy of allowing Christians to marry non-Christians against 2,000 years of Tradtion, Scritpure, and Apostolic teaching is yet another way we can know for certain the see of Rome separated itself from the Church.

I agree that it is best for a Catholic to marry a Catholic also. Marrying outside the Church does undermine the faith of the believer especially if there is (real or psychological) pressure from a love one to convert. It also causes problems as to the faith of children. Many times, children end up following the faith of their father, they being the head of the family.

However, I don’t think the Catholic Church allows inter-religious marriages unless there is a promise that children born in the union will be raised Catholic and the Catholic spouse will remain faithful to his/her faith.

This is my understanding of our faith. Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

Here in the Philippines, the Shar’ia law is for Muslims and our civil law for non-Muslims.

May I add that this is an absolutely stupid manner for handling civil cases…one country…two sets of law…STUPID…but that’s just me.

The RCC’s policy of allowing Christians to marry non-Christians against 2,000 years of Tradtion, Scritpure, and Apostolic teaching is yet another way we can know for certain the see of Rome separated itself from the Church.

Bucko, you need to read a real history book some time…Christian tradition is full of examples of believers being married to nonbelievers…thus the Pauline privelege. Rome is not seperated from the Church…where Peter is, there is the Church. Besides which, this woman acted outside of Canon law in here marriage to the muslim as displayed by her CONVERSION to Islam.

I don’t think the Catholic Church allows inter-religious marriages unless there is a promise that children born in the union will be raised Catholic and the Catholic spouse will remain faithful to his/her faith.

You are essentially correct…the church makes the CATHOLIC PARTY pledge to promise to raise any resulting children in the faith…and to inform their intended of this promise. If this woman converted I highly suspect she acted outside the church…and the church isn’t granted the same privelege as Islam in the Philipines, she’s judged by civil law now that she’s Catholic again, not Canon law. Strange, isn’t it?

its very sad indeed, its a bad idea to convert for the sake of the husband. A major part of the problem is the abusive husband, not only does he misrepresent his religion but he misleads the woman and at the end leaves her alone to pick up the pieces.

I think this is directly related to how we raise children, in both Muslim and Christian societies there is a double standard when it comes to raising boys and girls. girls have all the restrictions and boys are raised with no bounties and in some cases are encouraged to be promiscuous. Also in many Muslim societies women are raised and treated as second class citizens. IMO this double standard creates unscrupulous men who perpetuate such abuses.

News of Muslims leaving Islam
2 million ethnic Muslims converted to Christianity in Russia
In Africa, 6 million muslims convert to Christianity every year.
Shiekh Ahmed Katani : “In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Ever year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity. These numbers are very large indeed”. (English Translation | Arabic)

Muslim Preachers, Dawa Missionaries, Islamic Scholars, Mullahs, Imams Leave Islam and Enter Christianity
200,000 UK Muslims Left Islam
PDF file - 50,000 Iranian Muslims have embraced Christianity in Iran in last 2 years
250000 Muslims left Islam in Malaysia | English translation
10,000 French Muslims converted to Christianity
France: Around 15,000 Muslims each year are converting to Christianity - around 10,000 to Catholicism and 5,000 to Protestantism.
Thousands of Kashmiri Muslims leave Islam and Convert to Christianity
Thousands of Bangladeshi, North African, Kashmiri, Indian Muslims, Central Asian Muslims Leave Islam and Embrace Christ
Some 35,000 Turks converted from Islam to Christianity last year
Kyrgyzstan: 100,000 Muslims have converted to Christianity in 3 Years
Omurzak Mamayusupov, the director of Kyrgyzstan’s religious affairs committee, “The percentage of Muslims declined from 84 percent of the total population in 2001 to 79.3 percent in 2004. In terms of figures, he added, some 100,000 Muslims, of the country’s five million population, have converted to Christianity.”

Indonesia : "According to A.T. Willis and others between 2 or 3 million Muslims converted to Christianity after the massacres of the communists in Indonesia, in 1965"
Catholic officials: Approximately 10,000 Muslims convert to Catholicism each year
Urban Muslim youth out to junk faith - Ibnlive.com (India)
More Muslims have come to Christ in the last two decades that in all of history-Charisma Magazine article
Hundreds of Muslims across Israel and the Palestinian areas have come to Christ-SBC article from June/July 2002 Issue
New Muslim Converts Leave Islam within a Few Years
According to research by Dr. Ilyas Ba-Yunus[1], 75% of New Muslim Converts in the US leave Islam within a few years. Listen to the clip detailing this research.

Ex-Muslim Organizations
Ex-Muslim Council for those who renounce Islam

wikiislam.com/wiki/Muslims_Leaving_Islam

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.