What happens when a person dies in a state of grace?

is it safe to assume that when a person dies in a state of grace, that they go to heaven? No. I don’t think it is safe to assume that. Would it not be like presuming on God’s mercy? It is up to Him is it not to decide where the soul goes after its body dies? Yes, it is.

We cannot assume where a persons soul goes when they die in a state of grace. Is there something from canon law or the catechism that specifically states that a person who dies in a state of grace goes to heaven?

I don’t want to assume, and I don’t want to presume upon God’s mercy. it is not my place to do so.

In this case, Purgatory = Heaven. Purgatory is the vestibule where you take off your muddy boots, but once you’re in, the door locks behind you and the only way out of Purgatory is into Heaven. Assuming that the state of grace is authentic (and we *can *have reasonable if not perfect assurance of that), then it is by no means a presumption upon God’s mercy to accept his promise. We don’t “assume” where a person’s sould goes. We trust in God’s mercy without making a presumption.

Ok, this is just my opinion, but even if a person dies in a state of grace, they may have to spend time in Purgatory if they need to? I certainly believe that it is possible to go straight to heaven, but I have a feeling many of us will spend time in purgatory for whatever purification we need before we go to heaven.

i said to someone dear to me, that i thought that the person we know who died recently, and died in a state of grace, that i thought that person was united in heaven with the other person we know. she said that that was a presumption upon God’s mercy as we do now know who goes to heaven, or purgatory, or hell. i had thought this person who died in a state of grace that they went to heaven because they did die in a state of grace. then after her telling me that, i thought she was correct. because it is presuming upon God’s mercy that this person was in heaven. since we do not know who’s soul goes where after they person dies, the decision is up to God.

Presumption is a technical word that means that you feel you can sin freely and God will still forgive you. We do not “presume” upon God’s mercy when we trust in his promises. Although we cannot know with *the certainty of faith *(another technical term) where a person’s soul is at any given moment, we can have *reasonable assurance *that a person who dies in a state of grace will wind up in the bosom of the Lord. In fact, Purgatory itself is “in the bosom of the Lord.” “Our God is a consuming fire” says the epistle to the Hebrews – His fire consumes the dross of our souls so that they can live in Him.

excellent reply. :thumbsup:

This is from the CCC:

1023 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face:598

By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints . . . and other faithful who died after receiving Christ's holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died, . . . or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death, . . .) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without the mediation of any creature.599

1026 By his death and Resurrection, Jesus Christ has “opened” heaven to us. The life of the blessed consists in the full and perfect possession of the fruits of the redemption accomplished by Christ. He makes partners in his heavenly glorification those who have believed in him and remained faithful to his will. Heaven is the blessed community of all who are perfectly incorporated into Christ.

1030 All who die in God’s grace and friendship, but still imperfectly purified, are indeed assured of their eternal salvation; but after death they undergo purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven.

1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.606 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. The tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:607

it would then seem to me that even if a person dies in a state of grace, and if the soul needs purification before entering heaven, then the soul goes to purgatory until such time it can enter heaven. correct? it is still up to God to decide if the soul needs purifcation even if it is in a state of grace correct?

You’re talkin’ CATHOLIC, girl. :thumbsup:

Mercygate, that’s an excellent quotation from Hebrews–do you happen to have the chapter and verse…:thumbsup:

so then it is true that even when a person dies in a state of grace that if the soul needs purification then that soul will be in Purgatory? so dying in a state of grace does not guarentee that your soul will go to heaven correct? basically, this is all i want to know.

If you die an a state of grace, you go to Heaven. Maybe not right this minute, but you are **definitely **headed for Heaven. Whassa problem widdat?

none. thus you confirmed that if you do die in a state of grace, you could end up in purgatory to be refined before going to heaven.

If you’re in the state of grace, you can still have unconfessed venial sins to work out, or temporal punishment for confessed sins, both venial and mortal. That’s done in purgatory.

If you go directly to heaven, you get canonized :slight_smile:

Those who die in stage of greae, but with venial sin or with unpaid repartion due to forgiven sin, they will be in Purgatory. They are not pure for Heaven yet where nothing unclean shall enter [Rev 21:27]

Those who die in the perfect state of grace, go directly to Heaven.

Yes, but remember, only God knows the state of our souls. No one with the slightest stain of sin can go into Heaven. As a soul, I wouldn’t dare want to be in the presence of my Lord, with sins still attached to me no matter how small.

It is the soul who knows where they belong when they die by seeing the sins theyve committed throughout their lives. It is Gods incredible mercy and love that has given us Purgatory, because EVERYONE in Purgatory is on their way to Heaven.

It is good to strive as hard as possible to die in a state of grace. Thousands of Saints have done it. As we are human, we all may expect to spend some time in Purgatory. How Great is Our God!:slight_smile:

you are exactly correct friend! God bless you.

That is my understanding.

Of course only God knows where we will end up but as a Catholic if you die in a state of grace you can be morally confident that you will be saved even if you have to spend time in Puragtory first before going on to Heaven.

purgatory is a better choice than going to hell. i wouldn’t want to go to hell. no way. at least in purgatory, you know where your going when your soul is released after being purified. when you go to hell there is no getting out of it. one person told me that when a soul goes to hell its because they put themselves there by their actions. and thus they are judged according to their works and those works put them in hell.

i for one have NO desire to go to hell. no way. i try to live my life pleasing to God, but at times i fail in pleasing Him, and that grieves me. i go to confession and after going to confession, the soul feels lighter and free of the stain of the sin that led me to confession.

iam so glad we have the opportunity to go to confession.

No - if you ARE currently in heaven AND God lets the world and the Church know it by means of performing miracles on your behalf, THEN you are canonised. Doesn’t mean you didn’t arrive in heaven via purgatory.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.