What happens when a piece of the host is floating in the chalice?

Hello!

I am new to this forum and a new Catholic! Was baptised and welcomed into the church at Easter Vigil.
Yesterday at mass as I went up to accept the blood of Christ I noticed that someone had left a “floater” in the chalice.:o Normally that would have grossed me out but I guess God did not allow that to deter me from my sip. My concern it what happens to that? Do they remove it or does the young lady serving have to gulp it at the end? I would like to someday serve the wine and bread but wonder what happens in odd situations like that.

Thanks!

Hi,

At one point in the Mass the priest breaks a small piece of the host and drops it in the chalice, saying: "By this mingling of the body and blood of Christ, may we share in the divinity of Christ who humbled Himself to share in our humanity. Just as the separation of His blood from His body symbolizes His death, the uniting of His body and blood here symbolizes His Resurrection.

Sometimes the particle that the priest has dropped into the chalice doesn’t make it to his mouth, and it is therefore left for someone else to consume. So there is nothing gross about consuming. it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.