What Happens When We Die?

article

A fellow at New York City’s Weill Cornell Medical Center, Dr. Sam Parnia is one of the world’s leading experts on the scientific study of death. Last week Parnia and his colleagues at the Human Consciousness Project announced their first major undertaking: a 3-year exploration of the biology behind “out-of-body” experiences. The study, known as AWARE (AWAreness during REsuscitation), involves the collaboration of 25 major medical centers through Europe, Canada and the U.S. and will examine some 1,500 survivors of cardiac arrest. TIME spoke with Parnia about the project’s origins, its skeptics and the difference between the mind and the brain.

science is a good and wonderful thing, but when scientists get stupid in their unbelief… the mind and the brain are locked inside the skull and why oh why is the mind up at the ceiling when a cardiac team is trying to resuscitate the person…oye.

We go to a garage in Buffalo—George Carlin 1960’s :smiley:

I’m still looking for a job IN Buffalo (not ‘the area aka anything under the sun is ‘buffalo’???’)… sighs

1021 Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ. The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. The parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul – a destiny which can be different for some and for others.
Catechism of the Catholic Church

I encourage anyone to hunt for things like ghosts, death etc and see what the Church says… see what scripture says… I don’t believe in ghosts or haunted houses anymore.

I see nothing in there about wandering around trying to ‘find the light’, I see nothing about hanging around in a house you used to live in and ending up on a ‘ghost hunter’ show so a psychic (side kick) can tell you to ‘go home’ to the light. So much not there and thank God!

So I guess, given the title of the article, it was about the mechanics of death - how/why we die - rather than what actually happens after death to the soul? It’s an interesting article. And a good point is made too about science trying to slow down death:

Nowadays, we have technology that’s improved so that we can bring people back to life. In fact, there are drugs being developed right now - who knows if they’ll ever make it to the market - that may actually slow down the process of brain-cell injury and death. Imagine you fast-forward to 10 years down the line; and you’ve given a patient, whose heart has just stopped, this amazing drug; and actually what it does is, it slows everything down so that the things that would’ve happened over an hour, now happen over two days. As medicine progresses, we will end up with lots and lots of ethical questions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.