What harm is posed in going to a psychic?

The only thing I can find is that God hides His face from that person, and cuts that person away from the community. Away from religion (although you are free to introduce it if you wish), what harm is posed in going to a psychic?

Thank you,
**Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/ghosts.html

this is a link of what the bible says…

but personally you have to be carefull…yes i do believe some do talk to spirits…but what spirits are they talking to?..evil can masquarede as good to try and fool a person…and psychics are more new age/occult…they dont have the church teachings of testing the spirits…you should always test any spirit to see if its from god or not…

People who go to psychics, mediums or spiritists often end up with supernatural problems. Demons plaguing their lives in various ways, from finances to relationships to other.

Read this book by the chief exorcist in Rome: “An Exorcist tells his story,” by Fr. Gabrielle Amorth.

amazon.com/Exorcist-Tells-His-Story/dp/0898707102

The harm is done mainly to the soul, you cannot know who you are communicating with in that regard, although i would think it’s safe to say you are only communicating with evil spirits, because God is still in control even then, and if He commands us not to deal with psychics or whatever else, then He would not bless such things or allow souls to communicate with us that way, since souls cannot reach us except by Gods consent. and so i would say it surely is the devil.
and the harm that is done by communicating with the devil is possession, and also by disobedience to Gods commands you separate yourself further from God, not to mention the bad influence you have on those around you, thereby being a harm to their souls as well…
there are many harmful results, but in regards to this or anything else that may be harmful, the answer is, when in doubt, err on the side of caution, because what does it profit us at the end of our life to know about our future or communicate with spirits or whatever else? it profits nothing, you forget it and are forgotten by all, the only things in life that are worth anything are the things we did for the love of God and the love of our neighbor.

It’s the spiritual failure to trust in God. Choosing instead, to place your future in the hands of person.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/index/d.htm

Divination as an activity contrary to God, 2115-17, 2138

Divination and Magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

2138 Superstition is a departure from the worship that we give to the true God. It is manifested in idolatry, as well as in various forms of divination and magic.

Divination has two fundamentally negative effects: 1. on the psychic, and 2. on the visitor.

1. The psychic is puffed up with pride at the notion that he can tell the future or read minds. It is a very easy way to make a man wrong-headed. If you really think you can divine the next three seconds or three years, you have abrogated free will. Having abrogated free will, what more imagined abilities can creep into your mind? It is sheer perfidious evil.

2. The visiting person begins to imagine that some being other than God can come to know all things. This can have a very perfidious effect, and leads to meretricious impressions about life. Things become mystical and New-Age-y. We are here to trust totally in God, not in people who claim to see the future or delve into minds.

IMO, most psychics are fake. Just trying to make a buck.

i agree, i don’t mean to make it sound like they all really have some sort of “power” demonic or otherwise, but in the case of a person who does have such “abilities”, i would personally say it’s sources are evil.
although i can’t say i “know” how many are demonic or fake, but i’m not one to believe so easily.

I agree with you. It’s better to steer clear of them, altogether. One will take your money, the other, your soul.

What harm? Just the destruction of your soul due to mortal sin.

Even if we discount the possibility of evil influences we can’t properly perceive or comprehend, it’s an insult to God and a dangerous distraction.

Exactly.

GREAT HARM. Best to stay away. It opens doors to the demonic

I agree. I met a fortune teller once, and she was clearly an expert at pumping money out of people’s pockets. It was very annoying. After acting friendly for maybe two minutes, she harping on me for money so much I couldn’t even manage to excuse myself. I literally stood up while she was talking to me, and ran for the door with her chasing me calling out reasons why I should stay and give her money.

Alan

:rotfl:

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

What they said.

Seriously, what is the even the point of visiting one? If there’s a harm, it’s the harm of wasting your time.

Psychic reading often get engaged in debate with people who believe in things such as: angels; aliens; alternative medicine; ghosts, and other paranormal or pseudoscientific ideas. It’s an area where skeptics can come across as the “bad guys” who are trying to take someone’s cherished beliefs away by opposing them. Usually, someone will say something like: “some people believe in angels; if it comforts them, what harm does it do?”
Whilst it is true that many people can go through life holding such beliefs without harm, there is a potential for harm associated with irrational thinking. People who uncritically accept one claim are just as likely to uncritically accept other claims. The potential for harm is not caused by any particular belief: it comes from the manner in which those beliefs are formed and the uncritical way in which they are accepted.

Some are tricksters but some know satan.

My mom-in-law is deeply charismatic and protestant, and she believes that while most of that stuff is just fake nonsense, that some of the people doing it really are possessed. I think some of it comes from Acts 16:16-18, about the woman who was possessed and was a fortune teller who made tons of money for her masters or whatever. So on principal she stays away, because you never know.

For me, it’s better not to mess with any of it because I was raised Wiccan and it’s a very slippery slope for me. I prefer to put my trust in God, and leave my future in His hands. :slight_smile:

This, and the power to empty your wallet or purse rather quickly. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.