What helps you get out of a slump?

I’m in a major funk/slump. I am completely unmotivated in life to just do the things I need to. I have a to do list here of things that can’t be let go, but I can’t find the gumption to do them. I just feel…apathetic towards everything.

I know there are reasons for this, but the reasons aren’t going to go away so I need to find a way to cope and get back to doing. I have tried a bunch of things…exercising more (I’m already pretty good with this) taking some vitamins (the B’c do help some with energy) and extra prayer, which I feel like is getting harder and harder every day. It’s honestly hard to get through very short daily prayer…which is very discouraging. I have no spiritual energy or motivation to keep trucking it seems, which makes doing everything harder. Meanwhile the responsibilities keep piling up, and the requests for my help keep coming in.

I don’t know what to do…

Suggestions??

Besides prayer, nutrition and exercise? Hmm...

-Music that inspires me.
-Going drives in scenic places nearby.
-Cutting out as much caffeine and sugar as possible to normalize my highs and lows.
-Drinking lots of water.
-Basking in the sun's rays for a few minutes. If this isn't an option, it might be worthwhile to consult your physician about investing in a light box to treat SAD.

I hope this helps. I'll be praying for you!

A hug from an intrnet chum? :hug1:

Thank you :slight_smile: for the prayers. Those are all good ideas…I have given up coffee for Lent and it has actually helped some. The whole getting out, going somewhere and getting some sun are things I should do. Maybe I’ll go sit outside now actually. It’s so beautiful today! I guess i feel guilty taking that time…when I have so much I should be doing. I’m usually inspired and fired up by sunny nice days, but I’m not feeling it.

Thanks Mary Gail, I definitely need that!:hug1:

I’m not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but if it’s anything like here in Minnesota… OY! It’s been nothing but gloomy for the past couple of weeks. Rain/fog/ etc. The sun peeked out the the clouds yesterday finally and I rejoiced! I opened my windows and hung some wash out on the clothes line. Wow! The difference is amazing. The wet/mud/fog ick of early Spring always gets to me. I would rather it be 30 below if the sun is shining than this inbetween.

GO OUTSIDE!

Praying for you and I think I will take my own advice and go outside and get off the computer. LOL

Steph

I'll either get angry at myself for being apathetic and get motivated that way or I'll use the Fake It Till You Make It strategy, wherein I act as if I'm motivated and happy go lucky until it happens.

[quote="glenconnor, post:6, topic:191153"]
I'll either get angry at myself for being apathetic and get motivated that way or I'll use the Fake It Till You Make It strategy, wherein I act as if I'm motivated and happy go lucky until it happens.

[/quote]

i've done both of those before. neither is working this time. well, I'm sure no one else realizes that I'm feeling this way, (they must not because they just keep asking me to do this and that and the other) so I guess i am faking it and making it, but it's going to catch up to me eventually. Even knowing that doesn't phase me right now.

Better get someone to remove all of the butter knives from your drawer. Can't be too careful.;)

Maybe you need a doze of ultraviolet radiation. Sun helps you when you get down. Go to a tanning salon of some place where you can get a little bright light. Also, try to turn on the brightest lights in your home, if possible. It's no replacement for the real thing, but it might help.

How about another one? :hug3:

Prayers for you…

Hey, hon, I can definitely relate. :slight_smile: I’ve been falling in and out of slumps as well. I would recommend the great outdoors like everyone else. Also, morning, afternoon, and night pray work wonders! Or just a Hail Mary when your energy/perseverance is going.

Hope everything works out!

=Mary Gail 36;6414050]A hug from an intrnet chum? :hug1:

Agreed!:grouphug:

Shanny,
I'm in Wisconsin, too! I know what you mean about having a hard time getting through even small prayer times. We can pray for each other on that one. The Minnesota person is right: the weather doesn't help when it's cloudy.

Anyway, my idea: I'm a progress addict, so I get down when I don't make any progress, and it just builds on itself. To get out of it, I make myself a list of stuff that has to be done, making sure that big projects have their bite-sized components listed separately. Then I sit down and do the ones that I can get done the fastest - making sure to cross them off the list with great flourish. After a few, I see some inertia building, and I feel good about the stuff I've gotten done and empowered to keep going from there.

[quote="Havard, post:2, topic:191153"]
Besides prayer, nutrition and exercise? Hmm...

-Music that inspires me.
-Going drives in scenic places nearby.
-Cutting out as much caffeine and sugar as possible to normalize my highs and lows.
-Drinking lots of water.
-Basking in the sun's rays for a few minutes. If this isn't an option, it might be worthwhile to consult your physician about investing in a light box to treat SAD.

I hope this helps. I'll be praying for you!

[/quote]

I second all of this! Nice choices!

Whatever you do, fight, fight, fight-try so hard not to just "give in".Wake up and realize that God has given you a beautiful day every day-life. We owe it to God to be happy little Christian soldiers and to embrace the light He gave us.

Cyber hugs my friend-and a cyber kick in the butt to get out, get going, and get happy! :)

By the way-if, after alot of prayer and thought, you might want to seriously look at getting a dog-I find that I pray best talking long walks in the woods with my pups. I am convinced that they push me harder with their energy, bounciness,and love.

I am so glad to find this thread. I’ve been thinking I was alone in feeling this way (but knowing, of course, that I am not alone). It is really hard to deal with “reasons that just won’t go away” which is why medication has not been a help to me.

I agree. The outdoors and prayer. I am fortunate to live in a place where I can walk alone in the outdoors and say my daily rosary.

Yesterday I took an older friend out to lunch. She was visiting from far away and I couldn’t even think if any local sights to show her. I didn’t even think I could make conversation or graciously assist her (she needs just a little help). But it was a beautiful day weatherwise (I should ever complain about the weather, being in California? :D). Seeing to the needs of another person helped me feel better. And looking at things from the perspective of a tourist was a change. I also realized that this lady has been fighting a valiant battle with cancer.

One of the “reasons that just won’t go away” in my life is the very fact that I must see to the needs of a family member who is very difficult and unappreciative. That may be why I was not looking forward to looking after this lady for a few hours.

Realizing that i was I can still interact in a positive way with someone has made me feel better.

Just keep trying. I have found it to be true that if I find myself in a slump–I will feel different three weeks from today. (Okay, not always better, but at least different!).

By the way-if, after alot of prayer and thought, you might want to seriously look at getting a dog-I find that I pray best talking long walks in the woods with my pups. I am convinced that they push me harder with their energy, bounciness,and love.

That is therapeutic. I just had to re-home my GSP because with working FT, 3 kids one disabled and his therapies and all that go with that, my teenage cousin and her baby living with me, and my mom’s recent death causing me to have to take more responsibility (watching on weekends and after school) my 10 and 12 yr old sisters, the poor dog was getting neglected. I’d love to have another dog, but right now it just wouldn’t be right for me to get one knowing I can’t give it any attention. I do have two cute kittens though:) They’ve been fun.

Just keep trying. I have found it to be true that if I find myself in a slump–I will feel different three weeks from today. (Okay, not always better, but at least different!).

That is indeed true:)

Realizing that i was I can still interact in a positive way with someone has made me feel better.

yes, I need to do this more I think. I got out with an old friend in late January, and I think it was the first time in…a good 5 years I’d done something like that and had an adult outing and conversation. I will have to try to fit that in again.

Shanny,
I’m in Wisconsin, too! I know what you mean about having a hard time getting through even small prayer times. We can pray for each other on that one. The Minnesota person is right: the weather doesn’t help when it’s cloudy.

Another truth. The dreary days are really bad. Thankfully it’s getting sunny and I just had a cup of tea outside on the patio:thumbsup: Gonna do more of that when i can.

Anyway, my idea: I’m a progress addict, so I get down when I don’t make any progress, and it just builds on itself. To get out of it, I make myself a list of stuff that has to be done, making sure that big projects have their bite-sized components listed separately. Then I sit down and do the ones that I can get done the fastest - making sure to cross them off the list with great flourish. After a few, I see some inertia building, and I feel good about the stuff I’ve gotten done and empowered to keep going from there.

This is usually what I do too. I’ve just really stalled lately on crossing anything off. I just have NO motivation! I am just going to do it today, even if it’s just ONE thing (besides work and the usual stuff) and hopefully that will be uplifting.

Thanks for the hugs and advice.:slight_smile:

As someone who suffers from a rollercoaster emotional day, raniging from amazing highs to week where I don’t care about anything and barelyt have the will to get out of bed, I’ve found several little things that help me, aside from, of course, plenty of rest, good food, and prayer

-A walk down to the market and picking up a small treat; a favorite drink, a bag of sunflower seeds, or try something new

-popping some fast, intense music into my iPod and power cleaning the house, believe it or not

-open the curtains, ALL THE CURTAINS!

-Getting off the (&#$!)(&* computer. I have SO much trouble prying myself away, but feel SO much better when I do

-Make plans. This is a BIG ONE. I’m disabled and largely homebound. I have, like, no long term goals in life, and this is often a BIG part of my depression. So I make other goals. I want to paint the basement this spring. I want to try a fancy recipe. I’m saving up for a concert this summer. Have little things to look forward to!

-Rent a movie or television show you enjoy. It makes me bawl my eyes out, but few things perk me up like Titanic. Ironic, I know. If I don’tr have that much time, I pop in a an episode of a favorite anime or tv show. The small escape can do wonders.

-Buy a small rodent. Ok, this one’s kinda iffy, I know, but my little pet rat is just a bright little spot in my depression. Watching him eat a Cheeto like a corn on the cob, I can’t help but smile

[quote="shondrea, post:16, topic:191153"]
As someone who suffers from a roller coaster emotional day, ranging from amazing highs to week where I don't care about anything and barelyt have the will to get out of bed, I've found several little things that help me, aside from, of course, plenty of rest, good food, and prayer

-A walk down to the market and picking up a small treat; a favorite drink, a bag of sunflower seeds, or try something new

-popping some fast, intense music into my iPod and power cleaning the house, believe it or not

-Getting off the (&#$!)(&* computer. I have SO much trouble prying myself away, but feel SO much better when I do

-Make plans. This is a BIG ONE. I'm disabled and largely homebound. I have, like, no long term goals in life, and this is often a BIG part of my depression. So I make other goals. I want to paint the basement this spring. I want to try a fancy recipe. I'm saving up for a concert this summer. Have little things to look forward to!

-Rent a movie or television show you enjoy. It makes me bawl my eyes out, but few things perk me up like Titanic. Ironic, I know. If I don'tr have that much time, I pop in a an episode of a favorite anime or tv show. The small escape can do wonders.

-Buy a small rodent. Ok, this one's kinda iffy, I know, but my little pet rat is just a bright little spot in my depression. Watching him eat a Cheeto like a corn on the cob, I can't help but smile

[/quote]

These where all great ideas! I had a guinea pig growing up-I HIGHLY recommend those!

That’s why there’s a March Madness tournament! EVERYONE feels the way you’re feeling at this time of year. MM gives us the perfect excuse to waste whole evenings watching colleges that we’ve never even heard of play basketball, a game that we can play out in our own driveway.

Seriously, I would say make a list, no more than six things on the list. Make them small things, like washing the dishes, making that phone call that you’ve been putting off, taking a shower, etc.

Then check them off when you finish.

It kind of jump-starts you. It certainly gives you a feeling of accomplishment and makes you feel better. I get the feeling that you’re being kind of hard on yourself, and if I were you, I would go with this and ride it out. Just sit back for the next two weeks and watch the NCAA tournament (or whatever you enjoy) and do as little as possible, only what you need to do to survive and keep your family going. Eventually your mind and body will rebel against the inactivity and you’ll get moving again, probably the first day that the temperature goes above 70 degrees.

Whatever you do, don’t pray for God to jump-start you. Here’s what will happen–a disaster will occur and you will HAVE to get moving or you will be swept away by the disaster. It might be something like a tree falling on your car, or you discover that you have termites, or someone vital gets that really bad flu that keeps them in bed for two straight weeks, or you get a call that the bill was due yesterday and if you don’t pay, they’re coming to re-possess your house at the end of the week, and of course, you don’t have any money to pay that bill.

Boy, there’s nothing like a disaster to get you out of the funk and into the groove again. The looming inevitableness of absolute doom can be huge motivator to do something, anything. Happened to me in February–I was in the funk and couldn’t seem to do much except sit online and eat. Well, then I realized that the competition that I was in charge of was going to happen in TWO WEEKS, and wow, did I suddenly look like the Road Runner! My lists had thirty or forty things on them, and I kind of stopped sleeping. I’ve made all kinds of vows that this won’t happen next year!

[quote="Cat, post:18, topic:191153"]

Seriously, I would say make a list, no more than six things on the list. Make them small things, like washing the dishes, making that phone call that you've been putting off, taking a shower, etc.

[/quote]

Are you reading my mind? Dishes, phone and shower are all sooo difficult some days. But starting off with the shower usually gets me to feeling like joining the human race again.

Boy, there's nothing like a disaster to get you out of the funk and into the groove again.

It took me a while to realize this but it's true. Not that we want to be jump started this way! But is is important to realize when we feel so unmotivated that when the emergency happens we will be able to address it.

Thanks, everyone, for the great tips and commiseration. And, most important the good humor.

[quote="shondrea, post:16, topic:191153"]
As someone who suffers from a rollercoaster emotional day, raniging from amazing highs to week where I don't care about anything and barelyt have the will to get out of bed, I've found several little things that help me, aside from, of course, plenty of rest, good food, and prayer

-Make plans. This is a BIG ONE. I'm disabled and largely homebound. I have, like, no long term goals in life, and this is often a BIG part of my depression. So I make other goals. I want to paint the basement this spring. I want to try a fancy recipe. I'm saving up for a concert this summer. Have little things to look forward to!

-Rent a movie or television show you enjoy. It makes me bawl my eyes out, but few things perk me up like Titanic. Ironic, I know. If I don'tr have that much time, I pop in a an episode of a favorite anime or tv show. The small escape can do wonders.

-Buy a small rodent. Ok, this one's kinda iffy, I know, but my little pet rat is just a bright little spot in my depression. Watching him eat a Cheeto like a corn on the cob, I can't help but smile

[/quote]

That is SO funny you said "buy a small rodent"...lol
I do think animals are healing. I couldn't live without my pets. Their love and cuddles really help me out my slumps, which have been very frequent lately. I can totally relate to slumps. I guess besides everyone's good advice, just roll with it, and know "this too shall pass" and tomorrow will be a new day.:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.