What / How do you pray in adoration?

Please contribute! Maybe we could make this be a prayer reference thread.

I use the Chaplet of the Holy Face sometimes. Its source is Dom Mark Kirby, O.S.B. in his blog Vultus Christi. Pray it on the 5-decade Rosary.

vultus.stblogs.org/index.php/2006/12/respice-in-faciem-christi-tui/

+
O sacred banquet in which Christ is received,
the memory of His passion is renewed,
the soul is filled with grace,
and a pledge of future glory is given us, (alleluia).

Before each decade:
My soul is thirsting for God, the strong and living God;
when shall I enter and see the Face of God? (Ps 41:3)

On the Hail Mary beads:
It is Thy Eucharistic Face, O Lord, that I seek;
hide not Thy Face from me. (cf. Ps 26:8-9).

On the Glory be to the Father beads:
Behold, O God our protector,
and look upon the Face of Thy Christ. (Ps 83:10)

In conclusion, three times:
Father, glorify the Eucharistic Face of Thy Son,
that Thy Son may glorify Thee (cf. Jn 17:1).

The chaplet may be concluded with the Salve Regina, thereby entering into Pope John Paul II’s desire that we should contemplate the Face of Christ with Mary.

Things I do at Adoration:

Try to quiet my mind.
Pray: Adoration, Contrition, Thanksgiving, Supplication.
Examine my conscience/prepare for confession.
Listen. Just sit and look and listen. For that still, small voice.
Pray the St. Michael prayer and/or an Act of Contrition.
Journal.
Pour out my heart to God about what is going on in my life and ask for help.
Surrender.
Read Scripture.
Finish homework for Bible Study.
Reflect on a prayer or a blog post or a meditation.
Write a note to someone to tell them I love them (and so does God).
Spiritual reading: The Imitation of Christ, In Conversation with God, etc.
Pray the Rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet.
Sketch/draw.
Love.
Listen.

Sometimes I go with an “agenda” and sometimes not. Either has its place.

Just gaze at the Blessed Sacrament knowing his presence.

I almost always pray the Rosary, then I’ll read either the Bible or meditate on the Imitation of Christ.

It depends upon what time of the day (or night :yawn:) I go, how long I will be there and, sometimes, why I went. In general, however, my Adoration prayer will consist of some combination of the following:

[LIST]
*]Liturgy of the Hours (office[s] varies/vary depending upon time of day or night)
*]Rosary
*]Chaplet of Divine Mercy
*]Chaplet of St. Michael
*]various prayers for priests and religious vocations
*]silent meditation upon the Blessed Sacrament
*]spontaneous prayer
*]writing in my spiritual journal
*]tears (from a minor two-second sniffle to uncontrollable sobbing that can last for hours)
[/LIST]

My average Adoration session lasts two hours and takes place in the evening.

Can you believe that a search of the forums yields 726 threads that pertain to Adoration in some way or other? If you don’t get some good ideas in this thread, you have lots of interesting other threads to look at.
I’m no expert, having only 30-40 Adoration visits, but I’d like to share that I have greatly enjoyed, and I think benefited from, doing a number of different forms of worship, and using different sequences of those forms. Almost each Adoration period has thus been nealy unique. As far as I can tell, there is not much written about what you can’t do at Adoration, as long as you are reverent, quiet, sincere, and not distracting to others.
I’ve put together a 3-ring binder of prayers, meditation suggestions, pictures of our Lord, and notes I’ve taken as a journal written either during or after the Adoration period. Almost always I bring a book of Jesus’ life, where I might either select a section at random, or review something I’ve already read, I always start with at least one prayer, usually one I’ve written previously, but sometimes impromptu and other times one I have copied somewhere.
If during your first moments of prayer you feel the Presence or a message of the Divine Trinity, everything changes, for me at least; I find myself suddenly exhausted, virtually overwhelmed, but ecstatic. When I have this experience at home, I almost always lie on the floor and try to hold on to and then remember the feeling and/or message. I’ve never felt it appropriate to lie on the floor in Adoration, so I’ve used my journal and reading to help me “come back to earth.”
We pray you will find in Adoration the Joy, the Peace, and the Inspiration as we have.

I’ve found Fr Tesnière’s The Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament among the best guides for how to pray during one’s Visit. Here’s an example I find myself using often:

I. Adoration.

All creatures are under the necessity of praying to God, not only in order to obtain the help of which they stand in need, but also and chiefly to attest their absolute dependence upon the Creator by acknowledging that He is the sole Author and supreme Dispenser of all good things.

God receives the honor, glory and satisfaction which are His right when the creature prostrates himself in His presence, declaring by his prayer that he is of himself devoid of any good, incapable of any good, entirely at the mercy of God’s goodness. This homage brings glory to God, because man thereby confesses that he is not sufficient for himself, that he has no dependence upon himself. When he prays, he confesses that neither his intelligence is enlightened enough to lead him, nor his will strong enough to enable him to act right if God does not give him His graces of light and of strength. By prayer he also confesses that he cannot preserve life nor attain to happiness if God does not furnish him with means for doing so. To pray is therefore to acknowledge and proclaim that God is light and life, the perfect and universal Good, the Master of all things.

Now if God be glorified by the prayer of man, a poor and unworthy creature, how much more will He not be glorified by the prayer of Jesus Christ, at once God and man, and like to God, His equal in all things?

Well, it is in the Eucharist that Jesus renders to God this glory. The Son of God is humiliated therein in presence of the majesty of His Father. He prays to Him unceasingly, and it is the most humble of prayers, the most suppliant, pleading for the nothingness of the creature with the plenitude of God. He prays to Him in the name of all men, of whom He has the charge, through His title of supreme Pontiff and universal Mediator. He adores His Father, He acknowledges and proclaims that God alone is Goodness, Life, Truth, Perfection, Happiness; that all creatures have nothing, are nothing of themselves; and He supplicates Him to pour His plenitude into the bosom of all men, that they may live, be preserved, and attain to their last end.

Oh, what a sublime and touching prayer! God beholds upon all altars, in all tabernacles, His own Son debased, praying to Him night and day in the name of the whole earth! How could He be otherwise than honored, glorified, fully satisfied with this homage, of which the value is as infinite as the dignity of Him who renders it, and of which the duration is unending!

Let us draw near then to the altar; let us there behold, with the eyes of faith, Jesus Christ our Lord, present in person beneath the sacred species, humiliated in presence of His Father and praying to Him for the whole world; let us prostrate ourselves, let us adore Him, let us unite our prayer to His holy prayer; with Him and in Him, let us acknowledge that we are nothing and that we expect everything from God alone, because He is the infinitely good Author of all good things, which He will gladly bestow upon those who pray to Him.

II. Thanksgiving.

It is in our interest and for our advantage that Jesus exercises in the Sacrament His ministry of supplication.

How touching He is in this attitude of a suppliant priest, of a mediator occupied in accomplishing in our name the duty of prayer. We may be sure that His prayer will be heard, that God the Father will be touched by it; is it not His Son, in whom is His greatest delight, His Best Beloved, who is praying to Him? Is He not the Priest who is holy, innocent, without spot, without sin, such as God wishes all His priests should be? Has He not added suffering and humiliation to His prayer, that He may render it more perfect? Does He not pray with the infinite love He has for His Father and the immense compassion He has for us?

When Jesus prays, the heart of God is filled with infinite satisfaction. His prayer is pure, humble, disinterested, ardent and persevering. What He asks above all things, are the glory, honor and more universal reign of His divine Father. All other supplications He makes subservient to these higher interests; it is His greatest wish that God may be better praised and adored by His finite creatures.

Unite, then, your prayers, with the greatest confidence, to those of the holy Pontiff of the altar; pray with Him, like Him, through Him, pray with His intentions and in His name; He calls you and desires to unite you with Himself in order to make of your prayer and of His but one prayer; be sure, then, that if you render yourself like unto Him in prayer, you will be blessed and heard like Him and on account of Him.

To be continued…

…Continued

III. Reparation.

By the neglect of the sacred duty of prayer a great crime is committed, a frightful sin against God.

Be deeply penetrated with the sense of this, that you may offer to God, by Jesus, in homage and reparation, the profound sorrow which ought to take possession of every Christian soul at the sight of this neglect.

Yes, there are men who absolutely refuse to pray, because their pride will not acknowledge either the supreme power of God or their own misery. They reject with contempt and as superstition the duty of prayer, and not satisfied with thus braving their Creator, with abusing His gifts, with refusing them, blaspheming against Him, they also endeavor to turn others away from prayer, they endeavor to diminish’ the number of churches, and then to close them altogether, because they are houses of prayer. They would wish that never a prayer might be offered, neither by an individual nor a family; that in all this world that God has made, no prayer might ever be uttered.

Who is there that does not understand the frightful wickedness of such a design? How abominable an outrage it is against God! What a deplorable misfortune for those who are endeavoring to carry it out and for those who would submit to it!

Ah! pray in order to make reparation, utter that prayer so touching, that prayer so humble, and so persevering, which Jesus has offered for nineteen centuries, day and night, to His Father in the Sacrament; redouble your fidelity in performing your hours of adoration, in assisting at Masses; in a word, increase if you can, your hours of prayer that you may make reparation for those who do not pray.

IV. Prayer.

Uniting yourself in the depth of your heart to Jesus Christ in the Sacred Host, recite slowly, piously, lovingly, and with a great desire to address to God the most perfect of prayers, a prayer which fully honors Him, recite with Jesus, in Him and like Him, the Pater Noster. Repeat it until you feel your whole heart united with Him in the same prayer and the same love.

Practice.

To unite yourself always whilst praying, to Jesus praying in the Blessed Sacrament.

God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.