What I saw today at Mass

[LIST]
*]No altar servers
*]Penitential Rite omitted and straight to the Kyrie (no, there was no reason for it)
*]Gloria omitted and straight to the Collect
*]Homily omitted because he'd been "too busy to look at the readings" (but we did get a story about how he'd escaped getting a speeding ticket but had been given one for passing in a no passing zone, "Poor me, I have to spend $120")
*]Creed omitted and straight to the Intercessions
*]Woman in shorts preparing the altar at the Offertory
*]Laughs with the woman during the Prayers over the Offerings
*]Genuflections omitted during the Consecration and before Communion
[/LIST]
I'm so fed up with this kind of stuff.:(

I am shocked and saddened to hear this. My prayers for this church.

[quote="Phemie, post:1, topic:292513"]
[LIST]
*]No altar servers
*]Penitential Rite omitted and straight to the Kyrie (no, there was no reason for it) ABUSE
*]Gloria omitted and straight to the Collect ABUSE
*]Homily omitted because he'd been "too busy to look at the readings" (but we did get a story about how he'd escaped getting a speeding ticket but had been given one for passing in a no passing zone, "Poor me, I have to spend $120") HUGE ABUSE
*]Woman in shorts preparing the altar at the Offertory ABUSE
*]Genuflections omitted during the Consecration and before Communion Probable Abuse
[/LIST]

[/quote]

ABUSE,:eek: ABUSE,:eek: ABUSE, :eek:HUGE ABUSE :eek::eek::eek::eek:, and let me see, Oh, More Abuse, and more Abuse. Phew , does this happen every sunday at your Parish?? Seems like they have a knack for breaking every rule in the rubrics. I reccomend asking your Pastor why he seems so intent on watering down the LITURGY, Abusing the rubrics and enjoys doing it? Then If that doesnt solve the matter, Contact the Bishop. Also, may I suggest perhaps searching out a EF of the MASS somewhere close in your Diocese or at least a Church where they Orthodoxly celebrate the OF, and above all, Say a Prayer for your Pastor!!

Phemie,

Sorry to hear this. I thought things were getting better in your parish?

[LIST]
*]No altar servers
*]Penitential Rite omitted and straight to the Kyrie (no, there was no reason for it)
*]Homily omitted because he'd been "too busy to look at the readings" (but we did get a story about how he'd escaped getting a speeding ticket but had been given one for passing in a no passing zone, "Poor me, I have to spend $120")
[/LIST]

[/quote]

I agree with you... so am I... I had one person tell me recently that she saw Lay ministers go tot he Tabernacle during Mass and remove the Ciborium!!! and this was ok??? And that is nothing compared to what I witnessed taking place durning a Pilgrmidge to San Giovanni ... I still shake when I think of the sacriliges I saw durning Masses offered... And I mean Blasphemy... I got to the stage I was almost afraid to go to Mass for fear of what I would see... I spent hours in my room in tears because of it... I know how you feel... and it gets you inside... hurts... because He is abused... I still cry about it... all I can do is pray about it... pray against blasphemy... insults to the Blessed Sacrament... I will pray for this priest... And all priests that they will say Mass with the reverence that Jesus deserves.

On Sundays, our priest omits the penitential rite and goes straight to "Lord Have Mercy", but on weekday masses he does both. I am sort of confused by this. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I wondered about this as I read through your list of abuses.

Wow, it sounds like your priest needs prayers. How can he omit a homily because he didn't have time to look over the readings? That should be a very basic duty every week for a priest. :confused:

I know a few priests who skip the Penitential Rite and go straight to the Kyrie, as if that's all was required. Most of the ones I know who do it are foreign but one is a Jesuit (I won't say anything else).

[quote="Corki, post:4, topic:292513"]
Phemie,

Sorry to hear this. I thought things were getting better in your parish?

[/quote]

We only have one more Sunday with this Administrator then our new Pastor will be here. Hoping that will spell the end of these abuses.

[quote="Phemie, post:9, topic:292513"]
We only have one more Sunday with this Administrator then our new Pastor will be here. Hoping that will spell the end of these abuses.

[/quote]

:gopray2:

[quote="mymamamary, post:3, topic:292513"]
Also, may I suggest perhaps searching out a EF of the MASS somewhere close in your Diocese or at least a Church where they Orthodoxly celebrate the OF, and above all, Say a Prayer for your Pastor!!

[/quote]

There is no option for the EF Mass anywhere within 800 miles, no other parish within 365 miles.

[quote="Ysara, post:5, topic:292513"]
I agree with you... so am I... I had one person tell me recently that she saw Lay ministers go tot he Tabernacle during Mass and remove the Ciborium!!! and this was ok??? .

[/quote]

Oh, I could have added that one to the list, the EMHCs always retrieve the Ciborium at the Fraction Rite and repose the Blessed Sacrament after Communion.

[quote="Veronica97, post:6, topic:292513"]
On Sundays, our priest omits the penitential rite and goes straight to "Lord Have Mercy", but on weekday masses he does both. I am sort of confused by this. I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I wondered about this as I read through your list of abuses.

[/quote]

One of the parishes I attend ALWAYS omits the penitential rite also. Another that I also attend has been subbing the Apostles Creed instead of the Nicene Creed, and as far as I can tell that shouldn't happen unless its after Easter. But if I were you if this happens frequently I would change parishes. And yes, lets pray for this priest and others who abuse the Liturgy.

[quote="Phemie, post:12, topic:292513"]
Oh, I could have added that one to the list, the EMHCs always retrieve the Ciborium at the Fraction Rite and repose the Blessed Sacrament after Communion.

[/quote]

Yeah, I thought this was standard practice. Maybe it's a Canada thing. I have never seen a priest walk to the Tabernacle to get the ciborium.

[quote="utah_rose, post:13, topic:292513"]
One of the parishes I attend ALWAYS omits the penitential rite also. Another that I also attend has been subbing the Apostles Creed instead of the Nicene Creed, and as far as I can tell that shouldn't happen unless its after Easter. But if I were you if this happens frequently I would change parishes. And yes, lets pray for this priest and others who abuse the Liturgy.

[/quote]

While the Nicene may be preferred, the Apostles Creed is still allowed any time.

A very sad situatin, indeed.
One thought though, as far as the Penitential Rite goes, there are 3 options-
the Confiteor; "Have mercery on on us, O Lord..."; and "You were sent to heal the contrite of heart(or some other invocation): Lord have mercy (Kyrie Eleison).

If the priest did the last one, it is pefectly acceptable.

[LIST]
*]No altar servers
[/LIST]

[/quote]

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:16, topic:292513"]
A very sad situatin, indeed.
One thought though, as far as the Penitential Rite goes, there are 3 options-
the Confiteor; "Have mercery on on us, O Lord..."; and "You were sent to heal the contrite of heart(or some other invocation): Lord have mercy (Kyrie Eleison).

If the priest did the last one, it is pefectly acceptable.

[/quote]

Per his habit, he didn't use any of options A, B or C, he went directly to the Kyrie.

Phemie, I'm so sorry. Glad to hear that this man is miving on (although I hate to think of him inflicting himself somewhere else).

I will be praying for you more specifically. I always remember those parishes that share priests and have few options for other Masses (thinking of Glenmary priests). Blessed and thanking God again for the wonderful priests in my parish.

So, he just said Kyrie Eleison , no invocation before hand?

If so, very sad. :(
I will pray for you & your parish and for more vocations, that is the only thing that will stop craziness like this!

[quote="Phemie, post:17, topic:292513"]
Per his habit, he didn't use any of options A, B or C, he went directly to the Kyrie.

[/quote]

Just to place things in perspective. This is not a modern (or post modern) phenomenon, or a result of the OF or Vatican II.

1 Let all of us, clergymen, consider the great sin and the ignorance some have toward the most holy Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ and His most holy names and written words that consecrate His Body. 2 We know It cannot be His Body without first being consecrated by word. 3 For we have and see nothing corporally of the Most High in this world except [His] Body and Blood, [His] names and words through which we have been made and redeemed from death to life

4 Let all those who administer such most holy ministries, however, especially those who administer them without discernment, personally consider how very dirty the chalices, corporals and altar-linens are upon which the Body and Blood of our Lord are sacrificed.5 It is left by many in dirty places, carried about unbecomingly, received unworthily, and administered to others without discernment. 6 Even His names and written words are at times trampled under foot; 7 for the carnal person does not perceive the things of God!

8 Are we not moved by piety at these things when the pious Lord offers Himself into our hands and we touch Him and receive Him daily with our mouth? 9 Do we refuse to recognize that we must come into His hands? 10 Let us, therefore, amend our ways quickly and firmly in these and all other matters. 11 Wherever the most holy Body and Blood of our Lord Jesus Christ has been illicitly placed and left, let It be moved from there, placed in a precious place and locked up. 12 Likewise, wherever the names and written words of the Lord may be found in unclean places, let them be gathered up and kept in a becoming place.

We know that we are bound to observe above all else all of these matters according to the precepts of the Lord and the constitutions of holy mother Church.2 14 Whoever does not do this, let him know that, on the day of judgment (Mt12:36), he will be bound to render an account (Mt12:36) of himself before our Lord Jesus Christ.

This is St. Francis' "Exhortation to the Clergy: Later Edition" written after 1215

I'm not excusing anything, it's just that human behaviour doesn't vary. Expect to be disappointed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.