What I think of the Catholic Church

Hi everyone i’d like to start off by saying that I’m not Catholic, I belong to the Disciples of Christ but I’m becoming more Catholic in my devotional life and I agree with the Church on several points

1. I believe all the Marian Dogma’s 2. Purgatory is real 3. I do believe in the Real Presence of Christ I just haven’t accepted an explaination as to HOW it happens it’s enough for me to know that he is there. I love to pray the Rosary I ask for the intercession of the Saint’s
    (esp St. Faustina and St Margaret Mary) daily. I’m devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (love you mamma :love: ) as well as the Divine Mercy. I’m open to coming into the Church but I couldn’t bear to just up and leave the church I attend theres to much I like about it. But I did promise that if I was ever to become unable to stay because of some major problem I would leave and join the Catholic Church. I feel that there is way to much divison amongst the Christians of the world today if we are to truely BE Christian then we need to all put aside our differences stop this petty feud we have and come back together and be one Chuch like we were back in the good ole days. Blessings to you all. :smiley:

May God continue to bless you and bring you into the Catholic family. If you are uncomfortable leaving your church, then may God see fit to use you to bring your whole congregation into his Church. Thank you for your story.

Welcome and nice post! It’s great you feel we are all brothers in Christ! God Bless you & yours!

Greetings and God’s peace. Your post, while kind in spirit to the Catholics who post here and all Catholics, also shows a deep spiritual yearning and searching on your part. May the Holy Spirit continue to guide you on that journey into the fullness of God’s truth and love.

I have to say, though, that I was not surprised at your openness to the truth after you identified yourself as a member of the Disciples of Christ (DC).

I live in Indiana (where there is a large presence of the DCs), I’ve even been paid to sing in one of their churches. The Archbishop of Indianapolis is also the official representative of the Catholic Church in the ecumenical dialogue going on between the DCs and the Catholic Church.

From my experience of being a Catholic and living among many DCs, I’ve found them to be, in comparison to other Christian groups, remarkably open to the truth that the Catholic Church proclaims.

On the other hand, there is a tendency toward relativism among the DCs, exemplified in their longstanding motto, “No Creed but Christ.”

Thanks again for your post. Please keep us informed as you continue on your spiritual journey. I, for one, will keep you in my prayers.

The Sacraments will be ready and waiting for you if you decide to convert. :slight_smile:

You can always sit in on some RCIA classes if you want. There would be no obligation on your part to continue if you didn’t want to. Just call up your local Parish and they can fill you in on the details.

I think it’s great when Protestants include Catholic devotions in their prayer life. :thumbsup: Maybe you can get some of your friends to join you!

Peace to you!
Stephanie

It truly is nice to hear that you understand the often misunderstood doctrines that Christ left to His Church! What a joy it would be if you could were to come aboard the bark of Peter with us.

Alas, it’s sad, too, that your attachment to your present congregation keeps you from fully embracing all that Jesus has to offer.

I hope and pray that in time, He give you the grace, courage, strength, and desire to come home.

You’ll be most welcome! ~ And you’re certainly welcome to visit!

All of that is wonderful, I just have a pet-peeve with people who try to explain mysteries of faith. No offense, but we can’t, nor should we try to explain any mystery of faith, I’m referring to you not having an explanation of how the bread and wine become Christ’s body, blood, soul, and divinity. It’s something we believe by revelation by God and the faith he gives us to believe it. But keep it up, I hope that soon, you’ll join us. :slight_smile:

God bless.

Wonderful story, and thank you for sharing it. The Church will be here whenever you are ready to take the next step. It surely is hard to leave a comfortable community, but be attentive to the Holy Spirit. He will guide you about when / if to take the next step toward full communion with the Catholic Church. I pray you will some day, and I promise it will be the most joyous experience of your life.

Peace and God’s blessings

Sometimes entire communities of faith convert to the Catholic Church. It would be nice if yours did. I will pray for it.

There are many rooms in The Father’s House.

Thank you for sharing your faith journey with us! I find it very encouraging and inspiring…I don’t know very much about your faith tradition, but your community must be wonderful examples of Christ’s love. Will pray the Rosary for your intentions and all of those you count as friends. Continue to open to the working of the Holy Spirit in your life. God bless you…you seem very open to pursuing the Truth and that is refreshing!

Peace, alice c.

[quote=starrs0]Hi everyone i’d like to start off by saying that I’m not Catholic, I belong to the Disciples of Christ but I’m becoming more Catholic in my devotional life and I agree with the Church on several points

1. I believe all the Marian Dogma’s 2. Purgatory is real 3. I do believe in the Real Presence of Christ I just haven’t accepted an explaination as to HOW it happens it’s enough for me to know that he is there. I love to pray the Rosary I ask for the intercession of the Saint’s
    (esp St. Faustina and St Margaret Mary) daily. I’m devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary (love you mamma :love: ) as well as the Divine Mercy. I’m open to coming into the Church but I couldn’t bear to just up and leave the church I attend theres to much I like about it. But I did promise that if I was ever to become unable to stay because of some major problem I would leave and join the Catholic Church. I feel that there is way to much divison amongst the Christians of the world today if we are to truely BE Christian then we need to all put aside our differences stop this petty feud we have and come back together and be one Chuch like we were back in the good ole days. Blessings to you all. :smiley:
    [/quote]

Hi Starrs,
What are you waiting for!:slight_smile: You already believe in more that I did when I converted over 40 years ago! You already have the call…come on into the fullness of the Faith…I’ll be praying for you and I’m going to start a Rosary for your intention as soon as I get off. Annunciata:)

Ah, the Eucharist! Once I stepped into the magnetic field of Christ’s One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the force of the Eucharist drew me in. When you get hungry, you’ll know where to come for the Bread of Angels, “the medicine of immortality, the antidote against death, and everlasting life in Jesus Christ” (Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Ephesians, 110 A.D.) We’ll leave the light on for you.

JMJ Jay
Ex-Southern Baptist, ex-agnostic, ex-atheist, ecstatic to be Catholic!

A response to the question, what I think of the Catholic Church:

There are only two of the world’s religions that are God-made: Judaism and Catholicism.

All the rest are man made.

JMJ Jay

[quote=starrs0] 3. I do believe in the Real Presence of Christ I just haven’t accepted an explaination as to HOW it happens it’s enough for me to know that he is there.
[/quote]

I enjoyed reading your summery on the journey of your faith. I think this Scripture passage may help!

Read John 6:22 - 71 (so basically read all of John 6 LoL)
particularly notice John 6:52 **The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” So Jesus said to them , “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life and I will raise them up on the last day: for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink." Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. **(I won’ t quote the whole passage, there is much more, please read it) the next important quote **When many of his disciples heard it they said "This teaching is difficult: who can accept it? ** Jesus explains further Because of this many of his disciples turned back and no longer went about with him. So Jesus asked the twelve"Do you also wish to go away?" Simon Peter answered him “Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. WE have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6:66-69.

The Apostles did not fully understand it, yet they accepted Christ’s teachings in faith. They were later commanded at the Passover to become the first Priests and given the ability to consecrate the Bread and wine,( Christ working through them )to become Jesus’s body and blood.
Please read all of John 6, pray about it and ask yourself whether you are one of the disciples who said “This teaching is difficult,” and walk away from the Body and Blood of Christ, or will you become like Peter, the rock, upon whom Jesus would build his Church and accept the Eucharist for what Jesus Christ tells us it is. "Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life and I will raise them up on the last day."
I, personally could not live knowing I could not recieve the Sacrament of the Eucharist, and ignore a direct commandment from Christ. I want Him to abide in me and I in Him. If someone told me I had the option to live 100 years on this Earth without the Eucharist or take it once and die tomorrow, I would choose to take Communion once with the hope of Eternal life with Christ, rather than 100 years without Him.
Be Brave, live for Christ! Feel free to ask any more questions I have alot of respect for you, and hope this helps you in your journey.

It seems to me that you are Catholic already in your thinking. Just because you fully join the Church does not mean you have to abandon your old Church. You can attend Mass on Saturday night and still enjoy the fellowship of your old church on Sunday morning. Nobody says just because you become Catholic that you have to give up your current friends.

Now get over here and receive the Eucharist! What are ya waiting for?! Jesus is HERE! :smiley:

Dear Starrs,

I don’t want to sound rude, but, what are you waiting for??? There is so much beauty in the Catholic family that you can’t find it anywhere else in its fulness. Why are you witholding such actions if you want to be in full communion with the Catholic Church? I assure you, there will be no regrets. Come home!:slight_smile:

Pio

Laudat sa fie Isus Cristos!

I was born during the comunist time in Romania, the Catholic Church was persecuted and I was baptised in the Orthodox Schismatic Church, I have converted to roman-catolicism three years ago(I studdied the Fathers and history, I prayed a lot and God shown me the Way) and it is wonderful tu be catholic, I have no words in romanian to describe how happy I am, I want all people, in the World, to be converted to Catholic Church to see how good it is to be catholic, a true christian, to be member of Jesus Christ Church.

If your soul tells you that he wants to be catholic, than listent to him, he wants Jesus Christ, and after the profesion of faith and the Holy Comunion your soul will be ful of grace (my confesor priest said that the converted people receive a lor of grace from God, they were the lost sons, but now they are returned).

God bless you and I’m sure that you will be a good catholic.

Brother in Christ,
Theodore.

Thank you to everyone for your encouraging words and offers of prayer. I’am considering more and more the prospect of coming into the Church now but I’m just not quite ready (yet) to take the plunge but the day will come when that becomes a reality.

My suggestion to you would be to join the next RCIA class (I think they usually start in the Fall). You can use that time to learn as much as you can, and there is no obligation to join even though you go through with the class. Who knows, maybe next Easter you’ll be ready to take the plunge! No time wasted that way.

I hope you find your way home soon! Good Luck!

Dear Starrs0,

Thank you for your kind words about Catholic beliefs and devotions. I am including you and your Disciples of Christ congregation in my prayer intentions. I suggest that you contact The Coming Home Network apostolate of Marcus Grodi. It is located in Zanesville, OH. The websitw address is www.chnetwork.org. The phone number is 740-450-1175. Mr. Grodi is a former Presbyterian minister and specializes in counseling Protestant clergymen and their families who are contemplating converting to Catholicism. He may be able to put you in touch with a Disciples of Christ minister who has converted. It’s always helpful to consult with those who share similar experiences. And if you’re up to it, I would suggest that you visit a Catholic church and sit before the Blessed Sacrament and just ask Our Lord to guide you to the truth. May God bless you and help you in your spiritual journey.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.