What if a parent of a godchild is hostile to the faith?

I have a wonderful godchild. Sadly, the father of this child is an athiest, and is increasingly hostile to Catholic Church, and traditional Christian social values. Sadly, the mother seems oblivious to the husband’s bigotry. I am unable to fulfill any of my duties as a godparent. Should I resign or suspend my title? Is this possible? I feel like I am making a mockery of my faith by saying nothing. Also, evidenced only by the beliefs of the father, I am scared that the he might be endangering the mother by having affairs? What should I do besides pray?

Dear USA,

All the more reason for you to be present in the child’s life. You never know when you will be able to support the child’s faith-life. For now, just be a friend and remain in contact as best you can.

I don’t know enough about the mother’s situation to comment. Whatever you do, don’t alienate yourself from the family. The child needs you in his or her life—even if you aren’t able to overtly share your faith. You can give witness by being who you are: an acquaintance who is a Catholic.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.