What if a priest is not available at the hour of your death?

If a priest is not available at the hour of your death to give you your last rites, and you are able to make an act of contrition or simply say, or think God forgive me my sins, will you go to Heaven the same as if a priest had given you your last rites? Isn’t it true that if you are given your last rites by a priest you go directly to God? Also where does this come from, is it in cannon law or in the bible? Who say’s we go straight to Heaven when given our last rites? I have always wondered that. Is it because of the thief on the cross when Jesus was crucified? Because he repented Jesus promised him eternity with Him that day and spared him purgatory.

One can only hope to have a moment before one’s death to be able to repent and confess, to anyone and everyone who will listen. One of my biggest fears is to die in my sleep or worse yet in a horrible accident where my life is gone in a split second.

I believe if one is contrite and truly repents and confesses to God, God will hear you and take you into his kingdom. I pray I am correct.

This is a simple explanation of the last rites:

Last Rites

As you can see, it does not guarantee you go directly to God. What you may be thinking of is the Apostolic Pardon, Blessing, or Indulgence.

The Apostolic Indulgence is given in situations of danger of death, usually after the absolution of the sacrament of penance. The focus is on the remission of temporal punishment due to sin. The words of the prayer explain the meaning of the act: “Through the holy mysteries of our redemption may almighty God release you from all punishments in this life and in the life to come. May he open to you the gates of paradise and welcome you to everlasting joy.” Or “By the authority which the Apostolic See has given me, I grant you a full pardon and the remission of all your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

The Handbook of Indulgences #28 states: “Priests who minister the sacraments to the Christian faithful who are in a life-and-death situation should not neglect to impart to them the apostolic blessing, with its attached indulgence. But if a priest cannot be present, holy mother Church lovingly grants such persons who are rightly disposed a plenary indulgence to be obtained in articulo mortis, at the approach of death, provided they regularly prayed in some way during their lifetime. The use of a crucifix or a cross is recommended in obtaining this plenary indulgence. In such a situation the three usual conditions required in order to gain a plenary indulgence are substituted for by the condition ‘provided they regularly prayed in some way.’”

I’ve wondered this too.
I’m actually concerned that no one will know I want a priest in the event of and accident.
I wear catholic medals for that reason.

“From a sudden and unprovided for death, deliver us, O Lord”

I wear my scapular always except in the shower and often I carry my rosary in my pocket in hopes that if anything drastic were to happen someone might call a priest. All we can do is hope and go to confession as often as possible. Mother of God pray for we sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen

No, it is not true. You may be thinking of baptism.

Last rites may help you avoid hell or have a less intense purgatory – and it is certainly a good idea to obtain them if possible – but there is no *guarantee *you will go straight to heaven, or to heaven at all.

On the flip side, *not *having last rites doesn’t mean you have no chance of getting to heaven. Even if you’re not in a state of grace, it is always possible to make an act of perfect contrition–by God’s grace, of course, which he is by no means obliged to give us if we have forfeited his indwelling. He is, however, very merciful.

There’s a reason we ask our Lady to pray for us now and at the hour of our death, and there are various prayers to St Joseph asking for his assistance at death. St. Louis de Montfort’s method of praying the rosary includes asking for the grace of a good death (through the mystery of the Crucifixion, if I remember correctly).

In short, the last rites are good and important, but not magic. We have to die in God’s friendship, either by ordinary or extraordinary means. We should prepare for death now by asking God for perseverance.

I’m sure that if your a person who ask God pardon for your sins on a daily basis and something were to happen the next day that God would not forget that you said sorry for your daily and past sins in your life on a daily basis. With your fear you are forgetting what God truly is and what he has already done for us and will do for us in the future.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.