What if confession is not possible?

Hello everyone,

I live in the Netherlands and the majority of the country is protestant. I live in the south part of the country what is catholic. I have been raised catholic and I am very actif in the faith. My parents on the other hand have also been raised catholic, but do not believe anymore just like almost all people in my area. The problem is: I have commited the same mortal sin over and over for years and there is no possibility for me to go to confession. The first reason why I cannot go to confession is: The sacrament of penance has been abolished in my area years ago. The second reason is: I am afraid to go outside and leave the house and so I cannot go to confession. First I didn’t know it was a sin, but when I knew I tried to stop it, but I couldn’t. I feel very sorry and I pray to God three times a day. I also read the bible everyday and things about the faith. I have recently started praying the rosary every evening and that feels comfortable. I have now been able to reduce the number of times and I am repenting. I want to be worthy of God’s love and I do not want to sin against him again. I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I have asked God for forgiveness just as the bible implies, but the Catholic Church teaches that one can only be forgiven by confession to a priest. What if that is not possible in my case? Does the Church also teach something about my situation? I do not want to go straight to the depths of hell. Could anyone please help?

Thank you,

[quote="Kahlesson, post:1, topic:328287"]
Hello everyone,

I live in the Netherlands and the majority of the country is protestant. I live in the south part of the country what is catholic. I have been raised catholic and I am very actif in the faith. My parents on the other hand have also been raised catholic, but do not believe anymore just like almost all people in my area. The problem is: I have commited the same mortal sin over and over for years and there is no possibility for me to go to confession. The first reason why I cannot go to confession is: The sacrament of penance has been abolished in my area years ago. The second reason is: I am afraid to go outside and leave the house and so I cannot go to confession. First I didn't know it was a sin, but when I knew I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. I feel very sorry and I pray to God three times a day. I also read the bible everyday and things about the faith. I have recently started praying the rosary every evening and that feels comfortable. I have now been able to reduce the number of times and I am repenting. I want to be worthy of God's love and I do not want to sin against him again. I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I have asked God for forgiveness just as the bible implies, but the Catholic Church teaches that one can only be forgiven by confession to a priest. What if that is not possible in my case? Does the Church also teach something about my situation? I do not want to go straight to the depths of hell. Could anyone please help?

Thank you,

[/quote]

You say you live in the southern party of the country, which is Catholic. What do you mean the Sacrament of Penance has been abolished? I don't understand what you mean by that. In fact, the Netherlands has more Catholics than Protestants.

The priest doesn’t perform the sacrament of reconciliation anymore, for there aren’t many believers anymore like in south europe et cetera. It is very strange to me as well, but there is nothing I can do about this.

The priest should always be in the confessional, even though no one comes to confession. You should contact your bishop about that.

Priests do house-calls too for those who can’t leave their home. Just contact a local priest.

[quote="bben15, post:4, topic:328287"]
The priest should always be in the confessional, even though no one comes to confession. You should contact your bishop about that.

Priests do house-calls too for those who can't leave their home. Just contact a local priest.

[/quote]

The Netherlands are very liberal, faith-wise. Not likely your suggestion would gain much traction.

To the OP say an act of contrition and try your best to a avoid that sin until you can find a priest to hear your confession. God understands if through no fault of your own sacramental confession is not available.

Maybe call the parish office and ask for confession. It should at least be available by appointment.

I'm pretty sure God forgave you already! :]
He knows your heart and your situation!

[quote="Kahlesson, post:1, topic:328287"]
Hello everyone,

I live in the Netherlands and the majority of the country is protestant. I live in the south part of the country what is catholic. I have been raised catholic and I am very actif in the faith. My parents on the other hand have also been raised catholic, but do not believe anymore just like almost all people in my area. The problem is: I have commited the same mortal sin over and over for years and there is no possibility for me to go to confession. The first reason why I cannot go to confession is: The sacrament of penance has been abolished in my area years ago. The second reason is: I am afraid to go outside and leave the house and so I cannot go to confession. First I didn't know it was a sin, but when I knew I tried to stop it, but I couldn't. I feel very sorry and I pray to God three times a day. I also read the bible everyday and things about the faith. I have recently started praying the rosary every evening and that feels comfortable. I have now been able to reduce the number of times and I am repenting. I want to be worthy of God's love and I do not want to sin against him again. I love the Lord with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. I have asked God for forgiveness just as the bible implies, but the Catholic Church teaches that one can only be forgiven by confession to a priest. What if that is not possible in my case? Does the Church also teach something about my situation? I do not want to go straight to the depths of hell. Could anyone please help?

Thank you,

[/quote]

Hello,

I hope you that you will contact a priest soon and ask his help in arranging for confession--perhaps a priest at a different church or even in another diocese.

Here is a link to the Catholic dioceses in the Netherlands. Click on the last symbol (green) for the website for the diocese.

gcatholic.org/dioceses/country/NL-name.htm

.You're in my prayers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.