What if I can't financially contribute to the Church often?

Hi everyone. What should I do if I cannot financially contribute to the Church often? :confused: :shrug:

It’s not the amount that matters at all… and nothing will “happen” if you don’t contribute…

But giving from your heart… whatever possible… is noble…

Remember this beautiful Gospel, and don’t worry about the amount

8 He sat down opposite the treasury and observed how the crowd put money into the treasury. Many rich people put in large sums.
A poor widow also came and put in two small coins worth a few cents.
Calling his disciples to himself, he said to them, “Amen, I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all the other contributors to the treasury.
For they have all contributed from their surplus wealth, but she, from her poverty, has contributed all she had, her whole livelihood.”

Ah yeah. Thank you for posting that Gospel message. It really encourages me. :slight_smile:

If you feel giving your treasure to the church will prevent you and your family from eating, it’s ok.

But, you can give your time and talents

Another thing you can do is do the contemplative type prayers. Do the rosary for peace, Divine Mercy for God’s Mercy, a few litanies for the sick and the dead. Spend an hour or two in front of the Blessed Sacrament praying for friends, relatives, politicians.

God wants your devotion, not your money.

Yeah ok. :slight_smile: I’ll remember that. :slight_smile:

When I have no money to give, I give service, by means of volunteer work. Being a volunteer has many benefits, as well - you make friends and you find out things about the Church that you never knew before. :slight_smile:

I always at the very least give my participation in Mass. Hopefully that is enough for God when I can’t offer anything else.

When I was in college, I remember the priest saying that he was more edified by the college students throwing their crumpled dollar bills into the collection plate than those who gave larger amounts.

Give what you can. It’s also good to give of your time and talents. Parishes always need good volunteers! :wink:

Absolutely. :slight_smile:

Yeah. My only problem with volunteering is that my parish is a considerable distance away so I could only volunteer about once a week.

Dear Holly…
YOU are the jewel that you offer to the church…
So don’t worry about all the rest. The richness is in your heart
in the love you have for Jesus… what a treasure. Thats what He is waiting for in Church and why He looks forward to your coming to visit Him… not because you bring money. What could you possibly give to Christ that is not already His?

By the way… if you are poor then just remember that Jesus had special affection for the poor… just think of the story about the poor man Lazarus outside of the rich man’s gate… It seems that for his poverty and humility alone he was rewarded a place in the bosom of Abraham when he died…

So dont worry dear sister in Jesus…
All material things will pass away as is written in the Bible… (money first:p )

Peace be with you :thumbsup:

My wife and I have been in a financial catastrophe for the last year and a half. I don’t see it ending for another 2-3 years. I feel horribly guilty and that I am being selfish because we cannot give much, although we do give some weekly. My grandfather and I had a talk about giving to the church, and he said “if you are comfortable with what you are giving then you are not giving enough.” Giving should be a sacrifice.
My sincere hope and prayer is that these hard times for us will bare fruit in that we are learning to sacrifice and by doing so we will have more to give in the future.

I give not one single penny out of my pocket to the church every Sunday as my finances are horrilby limited. BUT,I help clean my parish every week with a volunteer cleaning crew that saves our parish around $1500.00 a month. I donate, when I have it, extra food and used clothing to our community charities ministry that helps everyone in need.

Not all of us can give money, but ALL of us can give of our time and talent.:thumbsup:

I see a lot of churches have these cleaning crews and I think they are awesome. :thumbsup:

Yes, but sometimes I wonder if I didn’t bring poverty on myself. I mean, I do believe I am disabled and that is why I am seeking disability but I sometimes wonder if I couldn’t handle a part time job. I know I can’t handle a full time job as I have tried it before and it never worked out for me. But a part time job I might be able to handle. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should seek a part time job or if I should continue to seek my disability insurance. What do you all think? :confused: :shrug:

I don’t think any of us can answer that for you. I would say, though, that God does not call each person to make as much money as they possibly can so that they can give the highest possible financial contribution to the Church. If that were true, all our Catholic schools would have no teachers as they’d all be making more money teaching at the public schools so that they could up their weekly donation! :slight_smile:

You give what you can give. Remember that parable about a rich man’s excess and a poor women’s copper. If your budget does not allow it, then you do not have to give.

Ah yes, that is true. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.