What if I whisper a mortal sin

If I whisper a mortal sin is it considered forgiven? For I feel ashamed saying it out loud

2 Likes

Father needs to hear you so you need to speak clearly. No need to be ashamed—he’s heard it all and nothing you will say will shock him.

3 Likes

I tried telling him in his ear and I’m sure it shocked him a lot. I’m so embarrassed

I sincerely doubt it shocked him. But you told it to him. Did he absolve you? If so give thanks to God, forget about it, and don’t do it again.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot
Happy Sunday!

I see you’ve started two threads along similar lines…

Being a teenager, as Father himself was also once, he isn’t going to be shocked. As long as he heard the sin,and he granted you absolution - then it is forgiven. Give thanks to God and move on.

It is also another tactic of Satan to make us think our sins are so bad, so black. It is also part of the condition of scrupulosity.

4 Likes

I think that you should speak with father. And, if you are bothered by so many things, I don’t know - maybe consider some counseling to build your confidence and self-esteem? Shyness is one thing, but constant embarrassment is quite another.

I do not know you, so this is based on very limited information. Still…

3 Likes

Some of these priests-many of them, actually-have taken confessions in prison. You can’t shock them.

3 Likes

This is just the devil trying to tempt you all the way into the confessional. Embarrassing sins are not scandalous. Say it as it is. There is nothing new under the sun. We tend to think that our sins are so much more scandalous than everyone else´s but in reality they´re not. Father has heard it all before!

2 Likes

I’ve even said to Father this is embarrassing but here goes………. He’s human too and a sinner as well. He as a Priest has to Confess to another Priest imagine how horrifying that has to be for them. Our Priest has told us “I WILL NOT JUDGE YOU, I WILL NOT BE UPSET BY ANYTHING YOU TELL ME. I am just glad you come to Confession and that you can confess your sins, be forgiven and walk out with a clean slate”. He tells us nothing makes him happier then when he hears Confessions NONstop for long periods of time because he KNOWS that we take our salvation seriously.

You have to go, be sincerely sorry for your sins, Confess (truthfully and clearly), repent (Change), receive absolution and LET IT GO Because God has!!!

4 Likes

What is the saying used here by Father "Be ------------, Be brief, Be gone?

“I’m a priest. I hear confessions. And I can tell you, you don’t even need to go into detail in confession!! It’s better if you don’t. If you just say “I committed X sin Y times,” that suffices. And if I’m not clear on what you mean, I’ll ask! But detail has a danger, that we start explaining things to try to justify them. It’s better for our humility to just admit what we did and accept God’s forgiveness and get out! Be brief, be bold, be gone! -Fr ACEGC”

Did a search for you, Cajun, because I was curious. Copied and pasted. I’ll see if I can add the link to the thread but you know how bad I am at that☺.

3 Likes

THANK YOU Camehome4john6 ! I knew somebody would refresh my terrible memory.

3 Likes

I too had typed out a reply with the answer being 'there".

But realised you probably knew and were asking the question of Shy_christian . So I deleted what I’d typed and abandoned my reply.

I also thought it may have been a rhetorical question posed by you :slight_smile:

No I’m not that “Alert”…

1 Like

oohh, sorry, I honestly thought/think you were/are …

1 Like

Father had posted it in a thread about not describing sins in detail.
I can’t figure out how to attribute it correctly by linking it, but at least we found the words. The search also came up with other sayings that would work such as be bold be brief be gone.

1 Like

That’s what I thought it was but didn’t want to type an incorrect quote. If not too personal Father may I ask are you a Diocesan Priest?

1 Like

You are too kind.

1 Like

Not sure if you already know this, but if so, just ignore.

To link to a particlar post in a thread-

1. Click the link symbol beneath the post
  2. Copy what’s in the pop up box that appears
  3. Paste that in the post you are typing
2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.