What if Jesus tells you to go away?

My friend says she prayed an “Our Father” yesterday right before bed. She says Christ then appeared to her and gave her a dirty look. “He told me that I was not worthy of his love because I got a bellybutton piercing” were her exact words.
Is this attention-getting garbage, or a true sin that Jesus is angry at her for? But my friend is a very sweet girl and prays everyday, she just likes to express herself through fashion. Plus, how could the loving, forgiving, merciful Sacred Lord do this to one of his children???

How about something in the ‘middle’. . .neither ‘attention getting garbage’ or ‘true sin’ but rather an honest misunderstanding? Perhaps your friend ‘thought’ she saw Christ but instead saw the Evil One (who, Scripture tells us, can ‘disguise himself as an angel of light’).

possible

MaryandJesus,

there’s something about this story that does not seem right to me. I’ve read several approved private revelations where Jesus appeared to people. Even when they sinned and He was angry with them, He NEVER ever gave them a “dirty look” or told them that He does not love them. He might chastise us so that we repent, but this is all done in LOVE, to help us to come back to Him. His love for us is unconditional. That part I know is true!

I don’t know anything about piercings and if they’re sinful for not, but I can say this, Jesus still loves murderers and thieves and people who hate Him, - there’s no doubt that He loves your friend who prays to Him.

I suggest that you read about the Divine Mercy devotion, and maybe recommend it to your friend as well. If I were you, I would tell your friend about Jesus’ mercy and that He is different in Church approved apparitions and revelations. When He brings us to repentance, it’s NEVER in a way that causes despair… He would never say, “there’s no hope”, or “I don’t love you anymore”. He would rather say, “I love you, My child, come back to Me”.

Maybe you would be interested in this page of quotes… and share this with your friend :slight_smile:
catholic-forum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy1.htm

now it IS true that we are not WORTHY of His love. So if all your friend heard in the vision is that she is not worthy, - that itself might not be so questionable, because none of us is worthy. But the point is that He loves us anyway. Now if your friend feels like the piercing is not pleasing to God, it would be good for her to get rid of it. God’s love is never an excuse to sin, quite the opposite, it should bring us closer to virtue and obedience. But of course God still loves her, just as before, - and has died to save her!

I suggest that your friend speaks with a priest, if she is telling the truth about what happened to her.

God bless

Jesus to St Faustina: "Oh, how much I am hurt by a soul’s distrust! Such a soul professes that I am Holy and Just, but does not believe that I am Mercy and does not trust in My Goodness. Even the devils glorify My Justice but do not believe in My Goodness."

I agree with this. Padre Pio famously tested each one of his visions by asking the person at hand to cry out in praise to the Lord. It seemed to work.

Christ can and will be stern to someone, but He would NEVER reject that person.

Jesus loves His children and wants them to come to Him. Maybe your friend feels guilty about the piercing and wishes that she hadn’t gotten it, but Jesus will never reject her.

If this happened to me, I would tell my friend to seek medical attention because she seems delusional.

One way that St Gemma Galgani used to test apparitions/visions is to say “blessed be Jesus and Mary” and ask the spirit to repeat these words perfectly. If they don’t repeat it perfectly (saying all the names, etc) - then they were not from God. It’s also good to use holy water and make the sign of the Cross. (especially if the holy water has been exorcised; Latin Mass parishes do this, like FSSP).

God bless

I would share this vs with your friend. Jn 6:37 Everyone whom my Father gives me will come to me. I will never turn away anyone who comes to me (GNT)

The greatest likelyhood here is that neither Jesus or Satan gave a dirty look to your friend about her bellybutton piercing. Both these beings have much more urgent matters to attend to. It would be a 2000 year precedent for either of them to appear for this reason.

That leaves only two other possibilities, those are: your girlfriend is having a lend of you by telling an untruth; or you are having a lend of us at CAF by telling an untruth.

good verse :thumbsup:

I don’t think that’s necessarily the truth… it could be that the OP’s friend has a delusion (as in a hallucination), or that she was tricked somehow, or finally that it was Jesus but the way the story was told (by the OP’s friend) was unclear or incomplete.

this doesnt seem like jesus…he would show mercy to even the most hardened sinner till their last breath…

ask her to discuss it with a priest, i can understand it would be very distressing for your friend, if you though jesus didnt want you then life would seem pointless and you would feel dispair…sounds like something the evil side would do

I don’t know that I would word it quite like this… but it may not be far off. Aside from the fact that it doesn’t sound like Jesus as someone else said, it may be that your friend seeing Jesus was actually simply how her personal guilt for having done something that some would consider a sin manifested itself and her subconscious got a bit carried away.

That would be my guess. But who knows… maybe Jesus REALLLLLY hates belly button piercings lol

tell your friend to talk to a priest…or you consult one on her behalf

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.