What if no one else is kneeling?

It is my understanding that we are supposed to kneel at the Consecration, but if we are in a church without kneelers, it is acceptable to follow what the rest of the consecration is doing and stand. My question is: Is there anything wrong with kneeling anyway? I don’t feel right NOT kneeling at that moment but don’t want to be disobedient or distracting.

Its important to remember that kneelers are only a rather recent addition to churches. Most churches over the centuries either didn’t have them or had wooden ones. The idea of a “comfortable” kneeler is more modern. Even then, they are sometimes broken.

A lack of kneelers in no way should be considered as forbidding someone to kneel. The faithful always retain the right to kneel at the consecration (as called for in the GIRM) as long as by kneeling they are not causing a problem in the physical space (i.e. cramped quarters).

As the Congregation for Worship has noted:

Query: In some places kneelers have been taken out of churches. Thus, the people can only stand or sit and this detracts from the reverence and adoration due to the eucharist.

Reply: The appointments of a place of worship have some relationship to the customs of the particular locale. For example, in the East there are carpets; in the Roman basilicas, only since modern times, there are usually chairs without kneelers, so as to accomodate large crowds. There is nothing to prevent the faithful from kneeling on the floor to show their adoration, no matter how uncomfortable this may be. In cases where kneeling is not possible (see GIRM no. 21), a deep bow and a respectful bearing are signs of the reverence and adoration to be shown at the time of the consecration and communion. (Not. 14 (1978) 302-303, n. 4)."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.