What if Pope and all Cardinals were killed?

I have a hypothetical question. The Pope is elected by the college of cardinals. What would happen if all voting-eligible cardinals were in the same place (like the Sistine Chapel), and they were all killed somehow, in other words all voting eligible cardinals were killed. What would the Catholic Church do?

Somehow the bishops would have to choose a new Bishop of Rome.

I would take that as evidence that God no longer wants people to be Catholic.

In which case, I would consider Islam or Eastern Orthodoxy.

Then the Cardinals who were not there (all the worlds Cardinals are never all together in one place with the pope.) would elect an new Pope. Then he would create new Cardinals.

But what if something happened, and ALL of them died.

Then the remaining Bishops would elect a new Pope.

Do we need a Pope? Yes.

Let’s say all male Catholics over the age of 1 year died that day.

Let’s say all but 3 Catholic women between the ages of 18 and 99 died that same day.

The Pope would be chosen from a Catholic male person by the “faithful” living of the church as best they could.

The Pope would be a male child chosen by the 3 Catholic women, assuming they could communicate with each other,… perhaps. But…

The Pope will always exist for as long as the world exists. Gaps between Popes are always simply a temporary thing, even if they were to last for years, decades or longer (Heaven forfend).

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha nui.

Islam?!? :eek: I’d go Eastern Orthodox — apostolic succession, you know!

Then the amongst the laity, male Catholics would take their place.

The Vatican has documents like the Code of Canon Law and other documents. Should anything happen to the bishops and Pope, and that they should die. I think the Deacons would probably have to make the steps necessary to ordain new priests, and bishops.

Of course amongst the Catholic male population, there are always individuals who are called to God to become priests.

I don’t know what is worse…lol…that the question is thought up or that it’s answered…but yeah…i vote for the one that said I’d take it as a sign God didn’t like Catholics…As good as any. :bigyikes: :hypno: :whacky:

I have a question for the OP. Who would be interested in killing the Pope and all the Cardinals?

The only group of people who would do it are Extremist Muslims.

Islam?!?

What’s wrong with Islam?

They preach false revelation contrary to the teaching of Jesus Christ. I would be Orthodox if the Papacy and all the Cardinals were dead.

I hardly think that neither the Pope or Cardinal would be all killed in one time, because Jesus Christ did promised that he will be with us until the End of Time.

I beleive that this is impossible------Just like what if the climate changed and all grapes could (as well as certain other foods) no longer be grown–and thereferore no wine could be made----could that happed because we couldnt have a mass without wwine----???

Here’s a clear statement of non-understanding of what the Church is, if every I’ve heard one…!

Best to you on improving your understanding of why “God doesn’t like Catholics” is a contradiction in terms and an impossibility, Spirit… :slight_smile:

Aloha nui loa.

Hey, I think this is a bad question and I am a protestant. If I was Catholic though, I would see that this is an impossiblity for God would never let it happen. Its like God creating a rock he cannot move.

Now if such did happen, we have another set of issues to discuss. It would prove that the church is invisible or authority consists in the manner that the orthodox believe in. For it would continue without respect to the pope.

Of course, the catholics would rewrite what happened and make the pope, an anti-pope; and continue as if it or the schisms of the inevitable powergrab afterward didn’t happen when one ‘pope’ submits to another (as long as they are known as the ex-pope of course).

for the people who would consider converting in case such an impossible thing happened

• thinking of impossible scenarios and basing your faith on it would be wrong. It would be like seeing a few movies with aliens in them and then saying aliens exist and God doesn’t.
  • also remember what our Lord Jesus said in Luke 13:1-4

1 At that time some people who were present there told him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mingled with the blood of their sacrifices.
He said to them in reply, “Do you think that because these Galileans suffered in this way they were greater sinners than all other Galileans?
By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!
Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them 3 --do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem?
By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!”

In the worst case of total catastrophe, pockets of the faithful would exist and they would have their own elders and over time with the guidance of the Holy Spirit the churches would unite again in communion with the Pope. Something similar happened in India long back (see Thomas Christians at NewAdvent.org)

you might want to read - Islam Revealed A Christian Arab’s View Of Islam (Paperback) by Anis Shorrosh

You’ll find it on Amazon

Do you want to cause a crash from overload?

That would be an unusual death bed conversion.:stuck_out_tongue:

Ya know, you don’t need to wait for that type of sign from God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.