What if Pope and all Cardinals were killed?

That’s a rather stupid theory.

Well said Isa :smiley:

Anyways, if such a thing were to happen, there are still the bishops, archbishops and priests that would gather.

Are you joking? Islam is a false, evil and violent religion founded by the illiterate killer and pedophile Mohammad who was Satan’s best student!

Although the current rules permit only Cardinals below the age of 80 to elect a Pope, these rules are not part of the moral law; they are dispensible and may admit of exceptions in grave circumstances. So, while it is extremely unlikely that God would permit all Cardinals to be killed, in such a hypothetical situation, the Bishops of the world, as the authentic successors to the Apostles, would have the authority to elect a Pope.

Ya know I would answer you if I have even 1/4 of a clue of what you are talking about…I simply thought the question was morbid, and unrealistic to even think about let alone discuss. You made no such nasty remark to the person who first said it? but I bow, to your self-proclaimed better understanding of all things Catholic…

Oh geesh, here we go with the bigotry

As a hard-core Catholic, I have to remind everyone that the Pope is not ordained to a new office. Deacons are ordained, Priests are ordained, and Bishops are ordained.

Archbishops are not, Metropolitans are not, Cardinals are not, and neither are Patriarchs.

There would still be Bishops around to pass on the Apostolic Succession and the Faith would still be intact. There would still be a Eucharist and the other Sacraments to sustain us lay people.

As St. Ignatius wrote to the Smyrnaeans:

“Wherever the bishop appears, there let the people be; as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church.”

Your local ordinary deserves respect. He is not just an envoy of the Pope.

I wasn’t aware there was so much anti-Islam propaganda on these boards.

Are you aware that fundamentalist Protestants say the same things about Catholicism? You know those aren’t true, right? Why the double standard?

it beats me and just sickens me at the same time. I post over at christianet a lot because they are so anti-catholic so I try to defend us at least from blatant lies. Over there they hate everything and everyone. The constantly label Islam as an evil cult that must be wiped from the earth. They feel no kinder toward Jews either unless it has to do with giving money to further armaggedon.

I came here, so sick of the insanity of those folks, and expected to find Catholics who were educated in their faith and eager to explore the bible and theology. I’ve been warned 6 times in 3 weeks to not read this or that.

I find here what i didn’t know existed…fundamentalist Catholics who choose to believe the same all or nothing illogical stuff I found at Christianet. And the sad thing, is that the Church in no way requires it.

I am dumbfounded that any Catholic would say such a bigoted thing, let alone think it. It goes without saying that every time we attempt to lump folks into groups, we have been horridly wrong and we shame ourselves.

Whenever I come here I feel I’ve warped back to pre-Vatican II, and am in a church still living in denial of the world. John XXIII knew the Church couldnt continue in that vein. Yet some among us would return us to that time. Invariably here, the first question asked after a topic is announced is “are we allowed to read or discuss this? What does the Magisterium tell us to believe?”

I believe the Magisterium and the Pope have a right to expect my close attention and careful reading of everything they tell us, however, I don’t believe that obviates our responsibility as God’s children to use our minds as well. I stand with Galileo when he said, “I do not accept that the same God who gives us a mind, intelligence, and reason, intends us to forego their use”…paraphrased…

It’s not about hate, but as Christians when you hear of a religion that has a man in the centre who was a paedophile, [yes having sex with a 9 year old is paedophilia, no matter what time period you are in] and then the imams in islam promoting violence because it’s written in the scriptures you can’t expect people to have PRO-ISLAMIC propaganda on a catholic forum can you now? Think rationally :rolleyes:

General Alexander Haig would take charge. Of course. :smiley:

It’s not about Hate? think rationally yourself. You have an agenda as we can see from your signature. You don’t seriously mean to denigrate billions of folks who are Muslim? Do we never learn to stop lumping people into huge groups and naming them Other?

I think he’s denigrating the religion; not the people. All false religions are worthy of scorn. Islam is a perverse deception and a gross bastardization of the message of Christ and the prophets.

Do you disagree? That would be an interesting position for a Catholic to take.

but as Christians when you hear of a religion that has a man in the centre who was a paedophile, [yes having sex with a 9 year old is paedophilia, no matter what time period you are in]

He had a nine-year-old wife, but I’m not sure he had sex with her. I believe he married her because she needed financial aid.

and then the imams in islam promoting violence because it’s written in the scriptures

You know, the person who called the First Crusade was the Pope. But obviously Christianity isn’t a violent religion, even though there are verses you could take to mean “be violent” and there are Christians who call for violent action.

I ask again, why the double standard?

Please read my post again CAREFULLY! I did not say anything about individual muslims.
The question was asked “what is wrong with Islam?” I answered that.

Are you joking? Islam is a false, evil and violent religion founded by the illiterate killer and pedophile Mohammad who was Satan’s best student!
UNQUOTE

Tell me anything factually incorrect in my comments about the religion and its founder?

I once heard that Stan Musial should be elected pope because he was the greatest Cardinal of all times!

It just would never happen as a practical matter - the Cardinals are scattered all round the world, for one thing, only gathering (and even then it’s not all of 'em) at Papal conclaves themselves.

So even if these were all killed, there would be Cardinals left to choose a new Pope. It happened in the past that Popes were chosen in all sorts of different ways - by the people of Rome, by Emperors and so on.

Catholic Christianity is the only clear path to God. All other religions may have some truth in them, but the truth is so deeply hidden that followers would have to be really dedicated to reach the truth. Islam is a version of the Arian heresy where they deny that Lord Jesus is God.

There is no double standard. Just a single true one - Catholic Christianity.

Vatican II teaches that Islam worships the same God as the Christians do.

So I have to say: way to go Satan, getting millions of pagans to worship the Lord. Assuming Islam is “a lie of the devil” (:rolleyes:), that’s the most pious thing Satan’s done since he was an angel.

Is Catholicism more true than Islam? Yes, in my opinion. Then again, Islam might be considered more true than Judaism, because they at least recognize Jesus as a prophet, when Jews think he was either a fraud, insane or a historical concoction. So is modern Judaism also a lie of Satan?

Vatican II states doesn’t exactly state they worship the same God.

This want Vatican II Document, Lumen Gentium states,

But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator. In the first place amongst these there are the Mohamedans, who, professing to hold the faith of Abraham, along with us adore the one and merciful God, who on the last day will judge mankind.

It merely they profess the faith of Abraham. They have a concept of a belief in a singular God. The only part that Islam has correct, but all its beliefs are contrary to Christianity.

I don’t think they worship the same God we do. This is just my personal opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.