What if Prince William wanted to convert?

Prince William, of course, is an anglican.

I read he recently attended his first Catholic Mass in Malta.

This is hypothetical, but what would happen if he and his wife wanted to convert to catholicism. I remember Tony Blair converted when he left office.

I am not sure if Diana’s mother was Catholic.

Did they change the law yet where you couldn’t sit on the throne if you were Catholic?

I think Princess Diana’s mother converted to Catholocism as an adult.

He could convert, and would remain HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge. But he could not succeed to the throne (the line of succession would run from his father to his son). British monarchs are Supreme Governors of the Church of England, and must therefore be in communion with that church – if it were not for that problem, the anti-Catholic bias in the Act of Settlement could be (and I have no doubt would be) removed. It is difficult to see what the workaround for this problem might be (other, of course, than the disestablishment of the Church of England).

So he can basically marry another man and still become king, but if he converts to Catholicism, then it’s a deal-breaker, because somehow that would pollute the Anglican Church?

Right. He also can’t convert to Islam, Lutheranism, Presbyterianism, Buddhism, Jainism, Judaism, Methodism…

I wonder what would happen if the crown prince professed to be an atheist? Technically, he would still be CoE.

Recent events have shown just how out of touch modern politics are with human life itself. The whole purpose of a monarchy is to ensure succession of rule through biological generation. Homosexuality is inimical to that. Religion is only secondary. Yet in the UK, the religious issue is paramount, while homosexuality has been allowed in.

It may take until 2200, but at some point, they will have to choose between “homosexual equality” as currently defined and keeping the kingdom.

ICXC NIKA.

And, up until recently (2013) he couldn’t even marry a Catholic, male or female. That too, was prohibited by the Act of Settlement.
He could have married a Lutheran, Presbyterian, Mormon or even a Muslim., just not a Catholic

Nothing to do with pollution. See my post 3.

Still can’t, I’m afraid. The Act has not yet been brought into force. It’s waiting for the result of a legal challenge in Quebec and, I think, for Western Australia to finish its legislative process.

Something of an obsession with homosexuality hereabouts.

I was pretty sure you would handle that.

GKC

If it is true that the monarch can be any religion- just not Catholic - I don’t see how the Act of Settlement isn’t entirely biased against Catholics. It seems that the law doesn’t ensure that an Anglican is on the throne - but rather, that a Catholic is not.

It most certainly is entirely biased against Catholics. A product of the religious conflicts it grew out of. But there is a practical problem for the CofE. Would you want a senior position in your church filled by someone was who barred from accepting its sacraments?

The monarch has to be Anglican.

Yes. “Shall join in communion with the Church of England” I think the law says. Which, motley though the CofE may be, probably rules out Muslims, Mormons and Jews.

On the one hand, it’s an interesting question, from a trivia standpoint.

On the other hand, what’s to be gained by ferreting out anti-Catholicism in rules regarding the British monarchy?

If Prince William remains Anglican, can he be elected Pope?

What if the Cardinal who is President of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State wanted to convert to being a Southern Baptist? Would he have to resign? :wink:

Ipsissima verba. “That whosoever shall hereafter come to the possession of this crown shall join in communion with the Church of England as by law established”.

GKC

Yes. I was thinking the same thing. How did that become part of the thread? :confused:

That’s it! Ta. I’ve reached the age where confidence in my own memory has dribbled away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.