What if Satan took the day off?

Suppose Satan decided that, after thousands of years, he and his demonic buddies deserved a holiday. So they all take the day off and go to Vegas (where else?) for a little R&R. What would happen?

Or, put another way: when the average person sins, how much influence does the devil have in that? I think that I am perfectly capable of committing any number of sins without any help from Satan whatsoever. If Satan & Associates took a day off, I don’t think it would make much difference in my own life.

Well, obviously most people are quite capable of sinning through concupiscence (though that’s partly the Devil’s fault, since he tricked Adam and Eve) or free choice.

However, it’s also true that we don’t know how much influence demons have on people, just by continuing to trick and tempt them. Since we’ve never lived in a world without demons, we have no way of knowing. (More cheerfully, we’ve never had a world without guardian angels, either, so we don’t know how much protection and good advice they give us.)

In general, though, it’s said that you don’t have to worry much about devilish influences unless you stop sinning; or unless you start sinning enough that they can hope to trick you into doing really stupid things like kill yourself, or (possibly) getting possessed. People sinning just enough to go to Hell, they won’t bother.

Or so it’s said, anyway. (Could be a trick!)

It’s better not to sin than sin, obviously. Lots of folks besides just demons will try to trick you into sinning, for all sorts of reasons and ignorance. Don’t discount demons as a reason for trouble, but don’t go looking for them, either.

If they did this would be my reaction -----> :extrahappy::extrahappy::extrahappy:

And yeah I think people would stop sinning, we’ll all be perfect, the world would be a better place and so on.

But that does remind me of a weird dream I had that God and Satan retired and became buddies :confused:

Temptation can arise from one of three sources (including a combination of them, if not all three):

1) Concupiscence (i.e., this conundrum happens when concupiscence exerts conscious control as a catalyst to compromise the conscience with.

2) The world (i.e., the nature of the world is very worldly and, being world-wide, is awfully difficult to avoid).

3) The devil (i.e., when we find ourselves tantalizingly tempted by the tempting temptations with which the terrible tempestuous tempter tempts us).

St. Thomas Aquinas elaborates on the nature of each temptation in his discussion on the Our Father which I have provided a helpful link for, as a stellar example of the kind of thoughtful and caring guy that I am. (See the heading, “How is One Tempted?”)

After reviewing what Aquinas teaches on this subject, we see that the devil tempts us according to a carefully crafted plan, custom designed for each individual sinner. This plan includes the ultimate goal of enslavement to the devil through sin. This sort of “diabolical” scheming temptation does not arise from the world or (generally speaking) concupiscence. Therefore, if the devil took a holiday then even though we would still be tempted by the world and by our own fallen nature, we would be freed from the particularly troublesome temptations that the devil deviously designed for our detriment.

Furthermore, the devil not only wants us to become enslaved to sin, but he also wants to somehow draw us away from repentance to God. He may do this in terms of the “presumption of God’s mercy” (i.e., “I need not repent because God is all-loving and so no one really goes to hell”) or despair (“God couldn’t possibly love and forgive a wretch like me”).

(Continued in my next post)

(Continued…)

Now consider the following…

Diabolical Doughnut Scenario:

Part 1 - The World is Out to Get Me
Let us say that I come across a batch of doughnuts - and not just any ol’ doughnuts either, but Krispy Kremes! And they are piping hot as if baked in the very ovens of hell itself!
There is a temptation to overindulge in them, and so far the temptation we are talking about here is that which arises from the world (so let us not take the whole “ovens of hell” thing too seriously…yet).

Part 2 - I am Out to Get Me
One doughnut is simply dessert, but a dozen doughnuts is the sin of gluttony. But I find myself desiring to overindulge in them because I have a tendency to resort to food as a source of comfort. I have had a hard day, and am looking for a quick and easy way to feel good and relieve stress. But instead of turning to Jesus to help me bear the burden of the day, or to the Holy Spirit to be my comforter (which is, after all, one of his titles) I am willing to turn to a plate of doughnuts to do the job. In terms of temptation, we are now in the realm of concupiscence.

Part 3 - The Devil is Out to Get Me
As I ponder whether of not to dive into the doughnuts, the doughnuts tempt me simply through the sensual appeal they have (i.e., the wonderful aroma, the steam, the dripping icing), and this is a worldly temptation. Plus, I find myself craving the doughnuts in a glutenous way and I envision how tasty it would be to scarf them down. This is concupiscence, and it includes me talking myself into the sinful deed. So where does the devil come in?

In addition to me trying to talk myself into committing the sin of gluttony, there may be another “voice” in my head egging me on. This is a voice that “fuels the fire” of temptation, saying things like, "Go ahead and enjoy this opportunity! After all, you’ve had a hard day so you deserve a nice snack! And come on, is this really a sin? With all the wars and poverty and crime in the world do you think that God really cares if you eat a plate of doughnuts? What’s the big, freaking deal, anyway? It’s not like you’re gonna die of doughnut poisoning! So knock it off with this stupid screwed up scrupulosity and scarf down a doughnut or two, or twelve!”

But then, after the deed is done and I’ve finished licking the icing off my fingers (it’s kinda part of the ritual – after all, we are talking about Krispy Kremes here), that same “voice” comes back and says, “Oh, how could you? How could you fall into temptation so easily? What kind of pathetic excuse of a Christian are you? So let me get this straight - Jesus got mocked, spit upon, beaten until he was bloody, got nailed to a cross and died in agony so you could pig out on doughnuts??? Jesus must be disgusted with you! Why don’t you at least do him the favor of sparing him your pathetic pleas for forgiveness? After all, do you think Jesus actually likes having to listen to little spiritual wimps like you?”

The devil starts off as our tempter and ends up being our accuser. If the devil took a holiday then what is displayed by the voice in Part 3 would probably not be taking place, at least not with the force I described. Of course, due to concupiscence we are all capable of tempting ourselves, and due to natural feelings of guilt and contrition we are capable of accusing ourselves. But, as I said before, the devil “adds fuel to the fire” (of both temptation and guilt), ramping things up and with the double goal of wanting us to be slaves to sin and reluctant to ask God for forgiveness. And he is also perfectly happy to inject feelings of temptation and guilt if we didn’t already get the ball rolling on our own.

And as a final thought, if the devil took a holiday then Johnny’s chances of getting a fiddle of gold are pretty much “ziltch.”

Don’t faint, but in Jewish teaching G-d and Satan ARE buddies. That is, Satan works for G-d to tempt mankind, but hopes that we will resist his temptation. Satan is not the terrible figure he is in Christianity and Islam. Another “job” Satan has is as the Angel of Death.

Well some teach today that Satan is bound right now and is no longer able to deceive. (Rev 20:3)

This seems to be the popular Catholic opinion now days.

So what do we see? What is happening?

If Satan & Associates took a day off, I don’t think it would make much difference in my own life.

I don’t think underestimating the influence of the Enemy is an Apostolic directive…but if he is imprisoned and unable to deceive, there is nothing much to talk about on that end, IMO.

Thank you, brother, for your reply. I am glad that I asked this in CAF (as opposed to private e-mail) so that your reply could be shared among many.

His chances were not very good to begin with. I’m pretty sure that the Church does not recognize the lyrics of Kenny Rogers songs as definitive.

Interesting. o.O

In terms of Revelation, after the devil was cast out of heaven, he was thrown down to earth (Rev. 12:7) and far from being bound, he was in the position to let lose his wrath upon the the earth (12:12) and to make war against the the “rest of the offspring” of the woman described in 12:1. The offspring of the woman is Christ and the “rest of the offspring” is the Church.

In terms of the Book of Revelation, this is where things stand at the moment.

On the other hand, the binding of the devil in 20:3 does not take place until after the Battle of Armageddon.

That is interesting because Catholic apologists insist that the Millenium is not a literal thousand years but we are in the Millenium…the reign of Christ…right now.

That would mean Satan is bound and unable to deceive anyone. Is that what we see, however?

I do not agree with this, but this seems to popular with Catholic teachers.

This is the 1000 years, which is the Hebrew way of indicating an indefinite long time - in this case, the time between the first and second comings, the era of the Church, in other words the last days in the broadest sense.The Book of Revelation situates this era between the persecutions of the Roman antichrists of the first century and the final unleashing of evil at the end.”

ewtn.com/expert/answers/endtimes.htm

That would mean Satan is having his day off right now, but I think most would agree that is definitely not correct.

I don’t think much would change, to be honest - man is pretty bad left by himself. But Catholics would become less taunted and happier in general - after all, the devil attacks the righteous, not the godless.

Sorry, but I have seen the lives of the godless, and that is definitely false.

No one suffers more from Satan’s oppression than the godless.

That is why we have the Gospel.

Ultimately, they suffer - and, yes, some do in this world as well (especially the poor). But there are many temporal, material pleasures for the godless today, and many certainly think that they’re “happy” (I live in a largely secular city, so). Others are depressed, because something is missing from their lives - namely God.

Why we have the Gospel isn’t to increase one’s riches or to make us “happier” in the sense that many tend to think of regarding “happiness” - it’s to save our souls, to draw us close to Him and the Church, and to help us be like Him, spreading the Faith and helping others.

Oh…so you have no suffering in your own life? No misfortune? No temptations?..and you never sin? You are perfectly holy in all your behavior, 24/7/365, right?

And (according to you) just because someone “has the Gospel” they are all set and no suffering comes their way huh?

I don’t know what New Testament you’re reading but that sure doesn’t sound like the one we Catholics have, nor does it reflect the verifiable history of (at least) the first 3 centuries of Christian history, but I’m sure that the believers who were slowly roasted alive on crosses by the pagan emperor Nero might be overjoyed to hear that…or St. Polycarp as they executed him for his Catholic faith, or St. Ignatius of Antioch, as he was thrown to wild animals, or St. Maximilian Kolbe as he suffered and died by injection of carbolic acid in Auschwitz by the hand of the Nazis.

Yeah…right…good luck with that…

**Sorry, but I have seen the lives of the godless, and that is definitely false.

No one suffers more from Satan’s oppression than the godless.

That is why we have the Gospel.**

Oh…so you have no suffering in your own life? No misfortune? No temptations?..and you never sin? You are perfectly holy in all your behavior, 24/7/365, right?

Wow.

Can you please post where I said any of that above.

And (according to you) just because someone “has the Gospel” they are all set and no suffering comes their way huh?

Can you please post where I said any of that above.

I think you have confused my post with someone elses.

No I didn’t. I just followed your deceptive and fallacious statements to their logical conclusions.

I notice you claim you never said that, but you don’t actually refute it, so apparently that’s at least something like you believe. LoL. :shrug:

BTW way people…I don’t think the devil ever takes a day off. After all…he knows his time is short, so “Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.” (1st Peter 5:8)

What deceptive and fallacious statements?

I notice you claim you never said that, but you don’t actually refute it, so apparently that’s at least something like you believe. LoL. :shrug:

I am sorry, but nothing you said is anything I believe.

So if I do not refute false accusations, that means I believe something “like” those false accusations?

This surely has not any reason or logic to it, though I know it may sound good.

I would think Catholics of all people would be most sensitive to such behavior and not treat others how they would not like to be treated.

LoL! So you don’t like a taste of your own medicine huh? Maybe you should reconsider your posting style here and elsewhere where you do exactly that same thing all the time.

Isn’t it hypocritical of you to react this way when you do precisely the same thing to Catholics all the time elsewhere. I think it is, and I just wanted to see how you like it when someone uses your own style on you.

Not so nice is it? If you don’t like it when it’s done to you, the why do you "not treat others how they would not like to be treated." BTW, the verse actually says. “And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner.” (Luke 6:31)

Your opinion above excuses your false accusation against me? :confused:

I don’t think so. I don’t believe the Lord taught us to treat others how you feel they are treating you.

Why you would confess to repaying evil for evil, I don’t know.

I will bow out here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.