What if scenario talking to an Eastern Orthodox about the Papacy

I’m not catholic nor EO.

The Papacy as it currently is understood is a development of doctrine yes or no?

If you were to speak to an Eastern Orthodox and they denied that doctrine can develop how would you respond?

I would ask if the teaching on slavery has developed from the position in the New Testament where it was taught (Ephesians 6:5)
“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.”

The office of the papacy has developed. The primacy of the Bishop of Rome was accepted by all Christians in the early Church. The exact duties and responsibilities of the Bishop of Rome regarding the Eastern Churches could be debated and negotiated.

How could it be negotiated? What would be your idea? So what do you say how he the Pope operates was a development also? Like Papal supremacy.

It’s not a developed doctrine as in came about newly, but a doctrine that has been since the establishment of the Church, but the duties and ability of whom was not completely fleshed out, particularly in terms of political power, as Christianity was not legal for hundreds of years.

Hence the difference between St Peter and how the modern-day Bishop of Rome is treated?

Do you know of anything like the catechism mentioning the papacy developing like you mentioned? Or something official?

It just might help me because I’m trying to join the right Church. And it’s not just between EO and the Roman Catholic Church.

Well, there’s not too much of a difference as regards the primacy of Peter, and a plain reading of Scripture will show you how Peter was singled out, but mainly I would say the issue is political between the two.

I commend you on finding the right Church.
Here’s something I found:
On the basis of Mark 3:16, 9:2, Luke 24:34 and 1 Corinthians 15:5, the Catechism of the Catholic Church describes Peter as holding first place among the apostles. It speaks of Peter as the rock on which, because of Peter’s faith, Christ said in Matthew 16:18 he would build his Church, which he declared would be victorious over the powers of death. In Luke 22:32, Jesus gave Peter the mission to keep his faith after every lapse and to strengthen his brothers in it. The Catechism of the Catholic Church sees the power of the keys that Jesus promised to Peter alone in Matthew 16:19 as signifying authority to govern the house of God, that is, the Church, an authority that Jesus after his resurrection confirmed for Peter by instructing him in John 21:15–17 to feed Christ’s sheep. The power to bind and loose, conferred on all the apostles jointly and to Peter in particular (Matthew 16:19) is seen in the Catechism of the Catholic Church as authority to absolve sins, to pronounce judgments on doctrine and to make decisions on Church discipline.

Many of the Church Fathers spoke of ecumenical councils and the Bishop of Rome as possessing a reliable authority to teach the content of scripture and tradition.
Pope St. Clement of Rome, c. 99, stated in a letter to the Corinthians: "Indeed you will give joy and gladness to us, if having become obedient to what we have written through the Holy Spirit, you will cut out the unlawful application of your zeal according to the exhortation which we have made in this epistle concerning peace and union."
St. Clement of Alexandria wrote on the primacy of Peter c. 200: “the blessed Peter, the chosen, the pre-eminent, the first among the disciples, for whom alone with Himself the Savior paid the tribute…”

Also of note is the very early Easter dating crisis which hit the early Church between what liturgical calender to use, which was settled by the Pope.

It was? I thought that Pope Victor’s attempt to excommunicate Polycrates and reject Quartodecimanism had failed?

Perhaps I should say, ‘which had recourse to the Pope as a source of authority’ over “settled”.
He wanted to excommunicated them, but was rebuked and considered otherwise.

My poor memory and word choice aside, this still shows the strength of the pope as having the ability to excommunicate, though he was persuaded otherwise, and his ability to intervene in matters concerning the whole of the Church, far outside Rome.

There is a tremendous difference between the Bishop of Rome’s exercise of authority over the Eastern Catholic Churches and over the Roman (Western) Catholic Church. The exact relations of the Eastern Churches to the Bishop of Rome could be a subject of negotiation.

What if youre talking to an EO and they mention
Jude 1:3 to point against doctrine development?

I would ask her if the Eastern Orthodox teaching on slavery had developed over time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.