What if the host were moldy?

Hi this is pretty random but I was wondering if hypothetically a priest were to consecrate a moldy host would transubstantiation still occur? What would the implications be? Thank you.

This is a good question. I don’t have an answer, but I have thoughts.

The type of host used by 99 percent of Roman Catholics is the traditional style (round, flat, etc.). This type is zapped of all moisture, therefore it is impossible for it to grow mold.

I say 99 percent of us use this type because I experienced one parish that uses (to my shock) something like pita bread. This bread cannot and must not be stored (for lack of the proper word) in the tabernacle because of its obvious susceptibility to mold. So what exactly is in the tabernacle in this parish church; sorry, I didn’t ask. I’ve never been back either.

Having assisted in the sacristy on occasion, I know that the sacristan naturally examines the celebrant’s host when prepping for mass. The parishioners’ hosts are too numerous to examine. Sorry if I’ve used the wrong nomenclature here.

Peace of Christ
http://ts3.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=800258927118&id=6cadc6c9e2eab90259543e9efbc09902

In answer to the first question, I suspect: Yes, transubstantiation would occur.

In answer to the second: The sacrifice would have been illicit – According to CIC 924.2 “The bread must be only wheat and recently made so that there is no danger of spoiling.”

tee
who could be wrong

Hypothetically, yes even though moldy it is the proper Matter.

It would then need to be disposed of properly.

However in practice the priest would set the moldy Host(s) aside and not intend to Consecrate it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.