What if the priest changes the words of absolution?

Hi everyone. My priest who was just ordained last year and seems to be a very orthodox priest does not ever say the entire words of absolution during a confession. Instead of saying the following:

God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son, has reconciled the world to Himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

He says:

I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

Is this a valid form of absolution? Are my confessions valid?

Yes, definitely. The rest is just a preface; “I absolve you from your sins” is the absolution.

this is the proper form and it is beautifull. consider yourself blessed.

I believe the passage is the secret sauce:

I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

I believe “in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit” is important.

I believe the minimum that is required for a valid confession:

1. Pentient names sins and frequency of sins (if remembered, but God isn’t an accoutant). and has contrition for sins
  2. Priest recites line from above.

100% valid. While the entire prayer is beautiful and the Church does prefer it to be said, all that’s required for validity is what you quoted above.

YES!!! 100% valid it is. My parish priest just says:
"Through the ministry of the Church, and the suffering and death of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and the Fellowship of the Holy Spirit, May Almighty God grant you pardon and peace, I ABSOLVE YOU from your sins, in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Sprint.

As long as the Prayer says ‘I absolve you’ the entire confession is indeed valid.

I once went to Saturday-before-Mass confession in a church that actually had a LONG line, and the priest absolved me using just the latter part you mentioned. It was the first time I had experienced less than the whole prayer. I figured he was trying to save time so as to hear as many confessions as possible before Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.