What if you remembered?

Guys,

If you went to Confession and admitted all the mortal/venial sins you’ve commited and at that time you were unaware of any, and were still unaware throughout Mass with the homily, etc. and suddenly just as you were walking up the aisle to recieve Communion, you remembered a mortal sin you totally forgot to confess, even though you were really unaware of it even when you were confessing it to the priest! And heck, you’re walking up to recieve Communion and there are people walking up behind you, what the heck do you do? Do you think, “oops” and turn around or what? Or would you just not recieve it and since you’re already up there, just get a blessing?

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

If you went to Confession and admitted all the mortal/venial sins you’ve commited and at that time you were unaware of any, and were still unaware throughout Mass with the homily, etc. and suddenly just as you were walking up the aisle to recieve Communion, you remembered a mortal sin you totally forgot to confess, even though you were really unaware of it even when you were confessing it to the priest! And heck, you’re walking up to recieve Communion and there are people walking up behind you, what the heck do you do? Do you think, “oops” and turn around or what? Or would you just not recieve it and since you’re already up there, just get a blessing?
[/quote]

It’s okay. God knows your intentions. Confess it next time.

[quote=Mickey]It’s okay. God knows your intentions. Confess it next time.
[/quote]

Seriously. I’m asking a serious question about this! I don’t want your ho-hum answers! Why can’t you just be serious? So you’re saying it’s okay to recieve when you’re still in mortal sin? Um…I don’t think so!

I agree with Mickey. As long as you confessed all the mortal sins you could remember, and weren’t deliberately holding back any of them, they are all forgiven, and you can receive Communion. At your next confession, you could confess that forgotten sin – just tell the priest that you had forgotten about it at your last confession.

Read the second question and answer on this page – it addresses it better than I can:

catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0302qq.asp

…what was in your heart? …what were your intentions? …be not afraid, your ok, [proviso], same as the advice above, confess at next opportunity…

…Peace my friend:thumbsup:

http://img.shopping.com/images1/di/61/65/54/33/71/6e7a5056497176746b68394b66424f6367-100x100.jpg

[quote=Paris Blues]Seriously. I’m asking a serious question about this! I don’t want your ho-hum answers! Why can’t you just be serious? So you’re saying it’s okay to recieve when you’re still in mortal sin? Um…I don’t think so!
[/quote]

If you made a sincere confession and were absolved you are not in mortal sin. You have been forgiven of your sins, even the ones you forgot to mention. Confess it the next time, but don’t obsess over it.

[quote=Paris Blues]Seriously. I’m asking a serious question about this! I don’t want your ho-hum answers! Why can’t you just be serious? So you’re saying it’s okay to recieve when you’re still in mortal sin? Um…I don’t think so!
[/quote]

His point is that you *aren’t *in mortal sin if you have sincerely confessed all the sins you could remember. Suddenly remembering one that happened before confession makes no difference, as the absolution covered *all *sins, both those confessed and forgotten.

If we remember an unconfessed mortal sin we may confess it next time (it is not required), not because it is unforgiven, but because it shows God and our confessor that we recognize our imperfections and are trying to change.

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

[/quote]

I was told by a priest and I believe it to be true:- when you go to confession and tell your sins in a state of repentence and desire to not sin again, when he absolves you, you are absolved of all your sins, told and untold. Having been absolved, you were prepared for communion. But probably you would want, like me to confess that sin before going to communion again. And I don’t think he meant that I could purposely leave out sins to get absolved. Doesn’t work that way.

[/quote]

When your intention is to honestly confess all of your sins, you will receive absolution for all of your sins, even those you may have forgotten.

Well, all right then. Thanks for your help.

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

If you went to Confession and admitted all the mortal/venial sins you’ve commited and at that time you were unaware of any, and were still unaware throughout Mass with the homily, etc. and suddenly just as you were walking up the aisle to recieve Communion, you remembered a mortal sin you totally forgot to confess, even though you were really unaware of it even when you were confessing it to the priest! And heck, you’re walking up to recieve Communion and there are people walking up behind you, what the heck do you do? Do you think, “oops” and turn around or what?
[/quote]

[font=Arial]## Absolutely not - that would be drawing attention to oneself ## [/font]

Or would you just not recieve it and since you’re already up there, just get a blessing?

It has been dealt with indirectly already: as one of the qualities of the act of contrition in the sacrament of reconciliation is universality, the penitent has already rejected it, & resolved to try to avoid occasions of committing it. And should therefore “go in peace” to Holy Communion. On no account should one rack one’s brains and conscience about it - it has been forgiven.

Apart from that, mention it next time. ##

Hopefully, this gives you peace of mind. :slight_smile:

I just asked a similar question in “Ask the Apologist” and Fr. Serpa replied.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=54711

[quote=Paris Blues]Guys,

[/quote]

Mickey is right. The Catholic Church teaches that if you go to confession and you intend with all your heart to confess all your sins, you are forgiven. If you forget a sin, it has still been forgiven. Go to communion and confess the sin at your next confession. Don’t worry about it, just confess next time. Forgiveness is based on your repentance and willingness to confess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.