What I'm reading now; what are YOU reading now?

I’m reading “In this House of Brede” by Rumer Godden. Loving it so far. I was expecting a book about convent life to be flat, pious literature, but I’d heard a lot of good things about it from friends so I gave it a try. Glad I did. This book has some of the most well drawn characters I’ve ever encountered in fiction. It’s a beautiful but also realistic glimpse into religious life. I don’t want it to end.

I’m also reading “Max Perkins: Editor of Genius” which is a biography of the editor who discovered Hemingway, Fitzgerald and co. The guy really was a genius. Hope I can be half the editor he was someday.

‘Overcoming Distressing Voices’ by Mark Hayward, Clara Strauss and David Kingdon. My therapist gave it to me. It’s a self-help book about hearing voices.

Thank you for the recommendation JoyToTheWhirled! I bought Mother Angelica’s book today and am looking forward to reading it.

The proper volume for today of “In Conversation With God” and “Divine Intimacy”.

I’m reading the Catholic Answers Forums :thinking:
C3DD7EA5-A3B2-4C2E-8943-9E1FA02F49A9

Tonight I’ll be reading St. John Chrystostom’s Eulogy on St. Ignatius.

D

Now I’m reading “The Once and Future King” by TH White. A modern retelling of the King Arthur legend.

I wasn’t expecting it to be so funny.

Just finished “Heaven Starts Now-Becoming a Saint Day By Day” by Father John Riccardo. It was a VERY GOOD book. I enjoyed it very much. I enjoy Father Riccardo’s homilies and talks on line.

“Theology and Sanity” by Frank Sheed

That dervish video reminds me of a very sweet story I read as a child in an old book of Arabian fairy tales. It was about a dervish who fell ill and was saved and nursed back to health by a monastern of Catholic monks devoted to Our Lady, so when the dervish recovered he would go and spin in front of her icon every day in thanks to her for his recovery.

I loved “In This House of Brede”. It would have made a great miniseries.

As for what I’m reading, I was forced to read some books the last couple weeks because my personal laptop broke and I was stuck on some planes with horrible in-flight entertainment options, so I am about 3/4 through volume 1 of Sister Lucia’s Faria memoir, which is fascinating and I plan to read Vol. 2, and halfway through Joanne Mosley’s book on Edith Stein, which is okay but a bit lacking in detail about Edith and her life. I don’t relate all that well to Edith’s love for philosophy or some of her views on women, but she is a fascinating and admirable person just the same.

I have this thing for reading picking up one book, putting it down, and then picking up another one. Rinse and Repeat. Right now I am reading both Mother Teresa’s Come Be My Light and also The Life of Saint Joseph, As manifested by Our Lord, Jesus Christ to maria Cecilia Baij. O.S.B. I literally began both of them this morning, reading the introductions. I am anticipating that they will both have a profound effect on me :slight_smile:

"Praying For Priests–A Mission for the New Evangelization” by Kathleen Beckman, L.H.S. Foreward by Father Mitch Pacwa, S.J.

I also bought a copy for our pastor.

I REALLY feel called as a personal mission for myself to PRAY for priests, seminarians, deacons, our Pope, bishops, cardinals, religious brothers and sisters, and all of those discerning a vocation to the priesthood or religious life.

I’m reading ‘American Conspiracies’ by Jesse Ventura and Dick Russell.

In addition to Mother Angelica’s book on suffering & burnout, I’m reading
Prayer by Pope Benedict XVI. Also going to re-read Jesus of Nazareth.

On order (from Ignatius Press):

The Light Shines on in the Darkness by Fr. Robert Spitzer
Prayer for Beginners by Peter Kreeft

Are St. John Chrystostom’s and other Church Fathers’ and Saints’ writings published online?

If you liked Robert Jordan and Larry Niven, try Sara King. She is an indie author and has some incredible series, some are space (Legend of Zero) and some fantasy like wheel of time style stuff. It’s not always G rated but easy to skip over questionable parts. Also, try Branden Sanderson too. He is very much like Robert Jordan.

At the moment I’m reread I wheel of time and also Uniformit With Gods Will which is great.

Yes, link below. I’m in Volume 9 of the Nicene Fathers, but I’m reading it on my Kindle, not on the computer.

D

What a goldmine of writings! You must be doing a lot of reading if you’re on Vol. 9. :grinning: :books:

It was easy to find St. Athanasius’ On the Incarnation, which I want to read first.

I don’t have a kindle or any device and will have to make do with the computer. It’s really not that much of problem because my old eyes can read things better on the computer.

Thank you!

You’re welcome; I’m glad that works for you.

Prior to the Nicene Fathers, there were also the nine volumes of the Ante-Nicene Fathers :smiley: The Fathers are my bedtime reading, 20-30 minutes before I turn the light out. I take about three months to get thru a volume, altho the one I’m on now is somewhat slimmer that most; I might be done with it in two months.

D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.