What in mans oblgation towars the Bible?

How is humanity to respond to the bible?

Man can choose to read or not read the bible. If you read it and it touches your heart, you may be motivated to make changes in your life. If it confuses you, study it. If you feel it does not apply to your life you have choices. If it scares you, look around to see if things are better in our current time and place. Whatever you do, be mindful that it is a book that has changed the world.

That's a question that bears some good thorough answering, and fortunately the Church has a long history of trying to answer it. You might check out the following:

ewtn.com/library/curia/pbcinter.htm
ewtn.com/library/councils/v2revel.htm
newadvent.org/library/docs_pi12da.htm
papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13provi.htm

The first is a document issued by the Pontifical Biblical Commission under Bl. Pope John Paul II, on the Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. Next is Dei Verbum, the constitution of the Second Vatican Council on Divine Revelation. After that are two encyclicals, one from Pope Pius XII and the other from Leo XIII, on the role of Scripture in the Church. For more resources on Scripture, you might check out catholicscripture.net/enchiridion/

Hope this helps.
-ACEGC

it’s either sacred or it’s not. read it and see what you think. then act accordingly.

=edward_george;9353618]That's a question that bears some good thorough answering, and fortunately the Church has a long history of trying to answer it. You might check out the following:

ewtn.com/library/curia/pbcinter.htm
ewtn.com/library/councils/v2revel.htm
newadvent.org/library/docs_pi12da.htm
papalencyclicals.net/Leo13/l13provi.htm

The first is a document issued by the Pontifical Biblical Commission under Bl. Pope John Paul II, on the Interpretation of the Bible in the Church. Next is Dei Verbum, the constitution of the Second Vatican Council on Divine Revelation. After that are two encyclicals, one from Pope Pius XII and the other from Leo XIII, on the role of Scripture in the Church. For more resources on Scripture, you might check out catholicscripture.net/enchiridion/

Hope this helps.
-ACEGC

Thanks, I already have read them all.

I'm not seeking MY answer; but that of others:)

God Bless,
pat /PJM

=itullian;9353913]it's either sacred or it's not. read it and see what you think. then act accordingly.

i HAVE many TIMES:D

gOD bLESS,
PAT /pjm

What does the Catholic Church say it is? There's your answer.

I feel an obligation to read it as I do any other great book written.

Well I believe the standard secular response at the moment leans toward viewing/interpreting the Bible as any other book. This doesn't automatically mean that you reject it as sacred. Alan Jacobs has written a book called A Theology of Reading: The Hermeneutics of Love which explains how to read all literature (but most especially the Bible) charitably, with special heed to the author's intention.

For a Christian, to read the Bible charitably would mean accepting without question its commands and teaching. We owe the same obedience to the Bible as God since it comes from God. Also we should read the Bible often.... privately and communally. The communal aspect will help protect from distorting interpretations. The more we read the Bible, the more complete our understanding. Also, God continues to speak directly to His people through His living and active Word. Out of respect for God, we ought to often go to the surest source of His Communication.

=StrawberryJam;9355270]What does the Catholic Church say it is? There's your answer.

I feel an obligation to read it as I do any other great book written.

The CC agrees with what the Bible itself proclaims it to be::)

2Tim.3 Verses 16 to 17 " **All scripture is inspired by God **and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."

The dispute between Catholism and Protestants seems [IMO] not to be is this "an inspired work" or not; we SEEM to agree that it is.

The ISSUE is "ALL of the bible" vrs. ONLY what I CHOOSE to accept::confused:

God's continued blessings my friend,

pat /PJM
How can such a paradox in reality, exist?

[quote="PJM, post:1, topic:286298"]
How is humanity to respond to the bible?

[/quote]

Each one is responsible for being aware of the nature, tendencies, and properties of the mind that looks at not only the Bible, but anything, especially oneself as looking. Then one can be true to oneself, and if they are one of the very rare individuals who has seen the, I assume, Christian Bible, they can be responsible in terms of, say, the discipline of General Semantics and many other disciplines that pertain to understanding the Bible from within, but especially from without, as a phenomenon.

=Gaber;9356711]Each one is responsible for being aware of the nature, tendencies, and properties of the mind that looks at not only the Bible, but anything, especially oneself as looking. Then one can be true to oneself, and if they are one of the very rare individuals who has seen the, I assume, Christian Bible, they can be responsible in terms of, say, the discipline of General Semantics and many other disciplines that pertain to understanding the Bible from within, but especially from without, as a phenomenon.

Thanks for your imput!

God Bless,
pat /PJM

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.